Brett Ratner

Started by Spike, June 13, 2003, 04:09:31 PM

modage

i'm reading this despite ratners inclusion and already in the introduction i've come across a great ratner-ism.  i'll post more if i find them...

"Why do I need final cut?  Final cut is for artistes quote unquote, directors whose movies don't make a lot of money." -- Brett Ratner
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

polkablues

Oh, I sure hope Jackman wins.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Ravi

I have a hard time believing he said "artistes."

modage

more than you ever wanted to know...  :shock:

www.brettratner.com

&

Fan mail:
Brett Ratner
c/o Creative Artists Agency
9830 Wilshire Blvd
Beverly Hills, CA 90212-1825

i cannot tell if the site is actually run by him, or just some other guy named brett...

Questions/Comments:
brett@brettratner.com
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

hedwig

Quote from: modage on June 11, 2006, 08:53:36 PM

i'm reading this despite because of ratners inclusion
fixed.

Redlum

Quote from: modage on June 17, 2006, 07:31:01 PM
more than you ever wanted to know...  :shock:

www.brettratner.com

They're all great but...
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

Pwaybloe

Have you guys read some of his "talkback" messageboard?  It's either complete ass-kissing or outright hatred.

modage

I've heard that you like to watch movies every night while you're shooting a film?
Brett Ratner: Yeah.  I always do that.  It keeps it fresh for me.  I tend not to watch movies in the same genre.  I watch movies in different genres and there might be a similar scene.  I have so many references.  That's why Scorsese and Spielberg are so quick on their feet and do such great work- because they have all the references.  They've seen what works.  I think that's what helps me too.  Look, I'm not like De Palma or even Paul Thomas Anderson.  I can watch Paul Thomas Anderson's films and tell you in every scene what movie he's taking from.  I know those references, but that's kind of blatant stuff that he does because he wants to show you he loves those movies.  My stuff is subliminal.  You would never even pick it up, really.  It's very subtle stuff. 

You were going to remake Cassavetes's Killing of a Chinese Bookie with Warren [Beatty] werent you?
Brett Ratner: Yeah.  I got cursed out by a lot of friends of mine who were just like, "That's a classic!" It's Paul Thomas Anderson's favorite movie, so to Paul I was the antichrist. 

Do you think you have a smaller, less mainstream film in you?
Brett Ratner: My taste is accessible to what audiences want.  Some people just have certain sensibilities, and I'm not going to apologize for mine.  I was always envious of Paul Thomas Anderson because he was like, "Oh, me and Jonathan Demme are buddies and me and Kubrick hung out on the set with Tom and Nicole."  I was jealous of that and I was like, "Shit, I want to be friends with these directors," and I thought I have to make my personal film about someone dying of brain cancer or whatever to get the respect.  But then, after Rush Hour, when I got calls from Demme and Beatty and Bob Evans and all these guys I'm like, "You know what?  Directors aren't snobs."  They love a movie no matter what the genre is, if it works.  It gave me so much confidence because I was just like, "OK, I don't have to go make Boogie Nights."

squints

"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

©brad

i want to stick a pen into my eye.

Pubrick

he should hang out with kevin smith and talk about PTA all the time. while pta lives his normal life of not being a pathetic gossiping bitch.
under the paving stones.

Gold Trumpet

While Ratner is infamous for what he says that is not original, I must say I do like the first five sentences of his answer to the first question. All the filmmakers I know of keep themselves inert while making a film. They call it keeping up concentration. Yes, meetings for production do occur all day long on a variety of situations and a focus needs to last all those meetings, but concentration 24 hours a day doesn't seem healthy. Everytime my brain is jammed for an idea, I also go back to casually watching films to remove myself from the problem.

polkablues

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet on July 03, 2006, 02:40:00 AM
While Ratner is infamous for what he says that is not original, I must say I do like the first five sentences of his answer to the first question. All the filmmakers I know of keep themselves inert while making a film. They call it keeping up concentration. Yes, meetings for production do occur all day long on a variety of situations and a focus needs to last all those meetings, but concentration 24 hours a day doesn't seem healthy. Everytime my brain is jammed for an idea, I also go back to casually watching films to remove myself from the problem.

That's how Ratner gets all that subtlety that he's so famous for.
My house, my rules, my coffee

MacGuffin

'Blood' flows for Fox, Ratner
Source: Hollywood Reporter

Fox has given a put pilot commitment to "Blue Blood," a drama project from the feature duo of writer Neil Tolkin and director Brett Ratner. Based on Edward Conlon's memoir of the same name, "Blood" is an ensemble show centering on a rookie NYPD cop -- a Harvard graduate who has decided to continue the family tradition and pursue a career in law enforcement. Tolkin is penning the script for the project, which is produced by 20th Century Fox TV and Roundtable Entertainment. Ratner is executive producing with Tolkin and Roundtable's Grant Scharbo and Gina Matthews. Scharbo and Matthews, who had worked with Tolkin on a real estate-themed pilot for NBC a couple of years ago, approached the writer about six months ago with the idea to make Conlon's memoir into a TV series.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks