JOHN CARPENTER

Started by modage, June 19, 2003, 02:13:35 PM

modage

when he's good, he's GREAT! and when he's bad, he's HORRIBLE.  plus, he composes his own scores!  (has anyone else watched his "music video" on the Big Trouble In Little China DVD?  its faaaaantastic.)

The Good
-ASSAULT ON PRECINCT 13
-HALLOWEEN
-THE FOG
-ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK
-THE THING
-CHRISTINE
-STARMAN
-BIG TROUBLE IN LITTLE CHINA
-THEY LIVE
-IN THE MOUTH OF MADNESS

The Bad
-VILLAGE OF THE DAMNED
-ESCAPE FROM LA

The Ugly
-JOHN CARPENTERS VAMPIRES
-PRINCE OF DARKNESS
-GHOSTS OF MARS

theres more, but this is mostly what i have seen.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Sleuth

I'm running out of ways to agree with you
I like to hug dogs

Alethia

Keener

Ack...The Fog belongs with The Ugly. I didn't care for Big Trouble, either, but that's just me (my new catch phrase).

But yes...I love Carpenter when he's good. I'm still looking for a copy of Assault. Halloween, The Thing, Escape from New York are awesome and I haven't seen They Live or Prince of Darkness in a long time but I recall loving them.
Alabama Film Forum
Uniting film lovers and filmmakers of Alabama

MacGuffin

Between this and the James Cameron thread, modernage is taking my ideas and claiming them as his own. I've never felt so...so...used.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

ShanghaiOrange

If John Carpenter was a carpenter and was equally good at being a carpenter as he is at being a filmmaker, he would make a few rocking chairs and a bunch of bird houses, and maybe a spice rack or two. And also a baseball bat.
Last five films (theater)
-The Da Vinci Code: *
-Thank You For Smoking: ***
-Silent Hill: ***1/2 (high)
-Happy Together: ***1/2
-Slither: **

Last five films (video)
-Solaris: ***1/2
-Cobra Verde: ***1/2
-My Best Fiend: **1/2
-Days of Heaven: ****
-The Thin Red Line: ***

AlguienEstolamiPantalones

Quote from: ShanghaiOrangeIf John Carpenter was a carpenter and was equally good at being a carpenter as he is at being a filmmaker, he would make a few rocking chairs and a bunch of bird houses, and maybe a spice rack or two. And also a baseball bat.

what is it about this post that makes you not want to end it with a sad face

ShanghaiOrange

Last five films (theater)
-The Da Vinci Code: *
-Thank You For Smoking: ***
-Silent Hill: ***1/2 (high)
-Happy Together: ***1/2
-Slither: **

Last five films (video)
-Solaris: ***1/2
-Cobra Verde: ***1/2
-My Best Fiend: **1/2
-Days of Heaven: ****
-The Thin Red Line: ***

bonanzataz

i love the fog. anybody that badmouths that movie badmouths my childhood.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Ghostboy

Um....I liked both Snake Plissken movies.

I can never get enough of Halloween. That and Dark Star are my favorites of his.

Quote from: bonanzatazi love the fog. anybody that badmouths that movie badmouths my childhood.

:: to be spoken with a surley spanish accent:: and if ju mess wit bonanzataz , ju messin wit trouble mang

plus IN THE MOUTH OF MADNESS is very well loved in the puerto rican comunnity

Cecil

the fog was so-so.

taz, did you like ghosts of mars, cause i thought was pretty good.

bonanzataz

i actually really didn't like ghosts of mars. i think it was aiming for what resident evil went for and resident evil was much more badass. ghosts just wasn't very interesting and the bad guys didn't scare me. in the words of maude lebowski "the plot is ludicrous." it had good PARTS (seeing cube shooting a machine gun is always a plus) but it never really developed these good parts. i felt like carpenter just left me with a hard-on and never followed through.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Quote from: bonanzataz(seeing cube shooting a machine gun is always a plus) .

ya know how in jackie brown they had that video with hot chicks shooting guns, what if they came out with one of these but with our favorite gangsta rappers, just shooting machine guns and talking shit while they puff on trees , ya know what norman jewison tried to do this once

modage

Quote from: MacGuffinBetween this and the James Cameron thread, modernage is taking my ideas and claiming them as his own. I've never felt so...so...used.

your avatar sparked my memory.  what can i say?  they both needed a godamned topic anyways.  if everyone can put down their arty pretension for a second and get back to their nerdy roots, everything'll be just fine.  Big Trouble In Little China rules.  i think its my favorite of his.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.