Belle & Sebastian

Started by filmcritic, June 30, 2003, 08:10:47 AM

filmcritic

Belle & Sebastian is a really great and interesting band that Todd Solondz uses quite a bit. They did the entire score to "Storytelling" and their music sort of fits Solondz's movies. They came out with several albums including "Tigermilk", "If You're Feeling Sinister", "The Boy with the Arab Strap" and "Fold Your Hands, You Walk Like A Peasant". Yes, they have very original album titles. If you haven't heard them, you should really check them out.
"You're too kind."
-Richard Roeper

"You're too cruel."
-Roger Ebert

meatwad

love the "Tigermilk" cd.  Mary Jo and We Rule The School are personal favs.

Ghostboy

They also got some free publicity in High Fidelity (although not as much as the Beta Band). My favorite of theirs is If You're Feeling Sinister. I rue the day I decided not to see their show last summer.

filmcritic

Yeah, I really like "We Rule the School" as well but I think that my favorite album of thiers is "If You're Feeling Sinister". There are about 7 really great songs on there.
"You're too kind."
-Richard Roeper

"You're too cruel."
-Roger Ebert

Rudie Obias

"if you're feeling sinister" and "fold your hand you walk like a peasant" are my 2 favorite albums.  i was lucky enough to see them live in detroit last year.  currently, that show is number 1 in my all time top 5 best shows ever list!  goddamn!  they're a good band!  they totally do not have the credit they deserve in america.
\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff

filmcritic

I just heard their song "The Chalet Lines". It's dark, but really wonderful. One of their best.
"You're too kind."
-Richard Roeper

"You're too cruel."
-Roger Ebert

SoNowThen

Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Sigur Rós

Quote from: SoNowThenI as well like B&S.

filmcritic

Here's a story...

A belle walked up to a sebastian.

THE END

ha ha ha! :lol:
"You're too kind."
-Richard Roeper

"You're too cruel."
-Roger Ebert

godardian

Quote from: GhostboyThey also got some free publicity in High Fidelity (although not as much as the Beta Band). My favorite of theirs is If You're Feeling Sinister. I rue the day I decided not to see their show last summer.

One of the best shows of recent years. I posted somewhere else about seeing them in Portland 09/12/2001, which I'll never forget...

I agree with Meatwas about favorite songs. Best overall album is Fold Your Hands, Child, but my favorite piece of their work is the 3, 6, 9... Seconds of Light EP. And I swear it's not because of the sexy cover (I find that Stuart Murdoch an EXTREMELY attractive fellow, and they don't use band pictures for the most part!).

Apparently, their next effort will be produced by Trevor Horn of Frankie Goes to Hollywood and t.A.T.U. fame...  :?:
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

rustinglass

I really like this cover.

These twins are so cute! They are Kirstin and gyda of múm
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

filmcritic

I know where you can order a poster of that cover. It's a poster advertising their "Fold Your Hands" album. You can buy it here...

http://s1.amazon.com/exec/varzea/ts/exchange-glance/Y04Y4641757Y0582427/104-4830542-1804750
"You're too kind."
-Richard Roeper

"You're too cruel."
-Roger Ebert

rustinglass

"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

filmcritic

What is the best B&S website out there?
"You're too kind."
-Richard Roeper

"You're too cruel."
-Roger Ebert

Jake_82

www.belleandsebastian.co.uk/home -- their official site is filled with cool junk like one of the member's journals (can't remember who) and a Q&A where they answer lots of questions
your reality is at the end of your dream