Schindler's List on DVD?

Started by life_boy, January 09, 2003, 01:50:43 AM

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: themodernage02i am perfectly satisfied buying a bare version of the movie just to have it on dvd.  but one must assume any movie that big historically/financially would only be a holdout on dvd because there is a great set of some kind in the works.  indiana jones, star wars, etc.  so, for us to have to wait this many years for them to get around to putting it on dvd without any making of stuff, well, sucks.  and could mean, like our old pal private ryan that we're going to be re-buying this in a few years when they get around to putting some real extras on there.
...i agree w/ you and whats worse w/ this is that  this film is also available in an overpriced $80. edition where as saving private ryan was just one edition
......but i'm still getting the bare bones anyway.....

Stefen

Ugh. I hate when they split the movie over two discs. But in this case its split over two sides, side and and side b. There isn't much on it, but the stuff that is on it is aces. I like the fact that there isn't much movie stuff on it cause then people would forget the main purpose is the holocaust. I saw the super duper edition and it looked overpriced and not worth it. Oh and at best buy they were giving out free hellboy preview discs. Glad to finally have schindlers list on dvd regardless of the 2 sides flippers.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

MacGuffin

A dream that came out of a nightmare
Filmmaker Steven Spielberg focused on his survivors' foundation at the release party for his Holocaust movie, "Schindler's List."
Source: Los Angeles Times

Last August, Universal Studios released the 25th anniversary "Double Secret Probation" disc of "Animal House" with a parade and mock food fight on Hollywood Boulevard. In September, Jay-Z hosted a hip-hop party in Puerto Rico to promote Universal's re-release of Brian De Palma's "Scarface."

But the event last week marking today's DVD release of "Schindler's List," a film chronicling one man's efforts to save Jews from the Holocaust, was a low-key affair held in a tented parking area on the Universal Studios lot. It included a press question-and-answer session, a video tour of the Survivors of the Shoah Visual History Foundation (housed in a series of trailers there) and a plea for tolerance by filmmaker Steven Spielberg, who spoke flanked by the cast members, Holocaust survivors and teenagers featured with them in a new video about bias and bigotry. "Making the film had been a nightmare of living those horrific memories," Spielberg said before embarking on a tour of the foundation's quarters. "But the accomplishments of this foundation have become a dream."

With his celebrity cachet and the current socio-religious climate, Spielberg could have easily generated substantial buzz — and sold a fair number of discs — by simply answering reporters' persistent questions about Mel Gibson's recently released "The Passion of the Christ." But he declined to take the bait, stating that once he sees the movie (he hadn't as of the middle of last week), the first person to hear his comments will be Gibson himself.

Instead he focused on the Visual History Foundation, an organization that he established in 1994 after meeting with Holocaust survivors on the set of "Schindler's List," and that he called "the most important work of my life aside from my family." The foundation's original goal, met within five years, was to collect the visual history testimonies of 50,000 Holocaust survivors.

Douglas Greenberg, the foundation's president and chief executive, who led Spielberg, the survivors and cast members Ralph Fiennes, Ben Kingsley, Embeth Davidtz and Caroline Goodall on a tour of the group's offices, later acknowledged the challenges of marketing such a film. "Universal felt — and Steven especially felt — that this had to be done in a very sensitive way," he said. "We're not selling candy bars here. We're selling a movie of very unusual character and the idea of being salespeople for such a thing is something I don't feel comfortable about, that I don't think Steven feels very comfortable about. That's what having this event was all about."

"We had been talking about 'Schindler's List' on DVD for years," noted the president of Universal Studios Home Video, Craig Kornblau (whose own father-in-law is one of the 52,000 survivors profiled in the archive). "And we felt we had to pick a respectful and appropriate time." He said the release date, chosen more than a year ago, was timed to coincide with the 10-year anniversary of the film's seven Academy Awards (including best picture and best director) and the foundation's 10th anniversary.

While a DVD release is often an opportunity for filmmakers to include outtakes, deleted scenes, comical bloopers or hidden bonus features (known as "Easter eggs" to DVD enthusiasts), the "Schindler's" DVD strikes a tone in keeping with its subject matter. A single, unmarked disc (playable on both sides) contains the movie, cast biographies, information about Oskar Schindler and a 77-minute documentary called "Voices From the List" that features the testimonies of Schindler survivors culled from the foundation collection. It also includes "The Shoah Foundation Story," a 12-minute video narrated by Morgan Freeman that details continuing efforts to catalog, index and disseminate the archived material.

That video, screened at the event, ends in a plea to support the foundation's work by contributing. It seemed a bit incongruous, and made the "Schindler's List" DVD release seem, at least for a fleeting moment, like some sort of high-production-value fundraising video.

But Holocaust survivor Celina Biniaz put the film in proper perspective when she took the microphone and, in a voice cracking with emotion, summed up what may prove to be the lasting legacy of Spielberg's 1993 movie. "I was 13 years old when I was liberated from Schindler's camp," she said. "And I told Mr. Spielberg that Schindler saved my life. But this picture, 'Schindler's List,' gave me a second life.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Derek

I hate the fact that this is a flipper. I bought the bare-bones edition because all I really care about is the movie, but is the more expensive edition a flipper as well? I suspect it is, but if it's not I'll buy that one as well.
It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: DerekI hate the fact that this is a flipper. I bought the bare-bones edition because all I really care about is the movie, but is the more expensive edition a flipper as well? I suspect it is, but if it's not I'll buy that one as well.

.....yeah i believe the $$$$$$$ edition is a flipper also....sucks.....i think the reason they flip is b/c  all of the language/audio traks recorded plus the film is LLLLLLOOOOOOOONNNNNNNGGGGG.....i got the one w/ the little booklet....is it worth money?...... :wink:

modage

just re-watched this for the 2nd (possibly 3rd) time ever.  wow, is it powerful.  to explain to someone, future generations, what the holocaust was like, this should serve as a document.  i've never seen another movie that really makes you feel like you are there.  and its not my favorite spielberg (which surprises me almost that it was the closest to ranking in the dekapenticon), and ironic that it seems almost the LEAST spielbergian of his films.  the stark black and white and handheld camerawork (as well as the cast of locals and filming on location) really gives it a matter-of-fact feel.  when someone gets shot and blood comes spewing out completely devoid of any filmic techniques like slo-mo, or bringing on the strings on the score, or anything.  just, atrocity like a documentary.  (i still cannot believe that these things happened during our grandparents lifetime).
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

Quote from: WithnailMy box was cracked :(

Mine was not only cracked, but one side of the case lid was completely broken off. The metal pin was not set in place, so all the items were loose.  :evil: I'm definitely having Amazon replace this!
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Quote from: WithnailBoth my metal pins were broken as well...

Amazon is sending a replacement to me; two day shipping so I should get it tomorrow, hopefully intact.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ravi

http://dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=10927

Schindler's List CE - New low price!

Just weeks after its official release Universal Studios Home Video have announced a new low retail price of just $34.98 for the Region 1 Schindler's List Collector's Gift Set, due to come into affect from the 29th March. Originally priced at $79.98 (and it has no doubt sold thousands of copies at that price) we have yet to receive any statement over why the price has dropped so much nor whether any changes have been made to the plexiglass packaging that has seen numerous complaints due to its fragile nature (the actual specs and included extras are identical to the version released on 9th March, as detailed here).

The packaging woes consumers have faced seems the most likely reason Universal would have made this price drop so soon after release but even then this move seems likely to infuriate those who paid a higher price just weeks ago.

Stefen

Thats a bunch of bullshit. I would have bought the collectors edition for $40. Not for $80 though. And they know that. I have no use for the CE now. Bastards. I can only imagine how I would feel if I had already purchased the CE at $80.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

jigzaw

The collectors edition has been as low as 27 dollars at Best Buy one week, then later moved up to like 50 bucks, and now back around 30.  What a pity too, because when the discs were released I would have totally bought the collector's edition for 30-40 dollars since my soundtrack is all scratched up, but 80 was just too much for the disc plus soundtrack and souvinier book or whatever.  But no way will I double dip.

Tictacbk

Why bring back this thread after a year and a half to say that?

Pubrick

Quote from: TictacbkWhy bring back this thread after a year and a half to say that?
he thinks we care.
under the paving stones.

mutinyco

Too busy making out during Schindler's List...
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe