GUMMO

Started by Rudie Obias, November 22, 2003, 04:03:28 PM

Stefen

I like gummo, but not in the traditional sense. I like it for the fact that I can't believe what im watching while im watching it. And that end scene with that Roy Orbison song is aces. Nothing new for trash like you.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

kotte

I've just finished watching this.

I don't even know if you could call this bad. I hated it. It actually made me feel sick. I actually almost threw up.

The performances are great, as is the writing but the story, characters...fuck. Pure exploitation of the white lower-class. What's up with Korine? Kids, Gummo, Ken Park...?? I hate them all. I find them fascinating bud oh so bad.

Ghostboy

Quote from: ebeaman

Yea, don't call him a good filmmaker.

He's a good filmmaker.

kotte

Quote from: Ghostboy
Quote from: ebeaman

Yea, don't call him a good filmmaker.

He's a good filmmaker.

I think he lacks in ability as a filmmaker but do think he's a pretty good director.

You can't say the performances are bad in the film and I believe it's to Korines credit.

Why the fuck did we need to see the tiny kid eating in the bathtub?? Why the fuck???  :x

Sigur Rós

Quote from: kotteI've just finished watching this.

I don't even know if you could call this bad. I hated it. It actually made me feel sick. I actually almost threw up.

It made me feel the same way (Just looking at that little skinny boy made me feel sick!). I really want to say I hated it, and that's probably what the director intended people to do, but some part of me was fascinated by the enviroment. Also it had some great characters, like the guy playing tennis and those two blond sisters (damn, they were ugly!).

But let me underline this; this was not a great movie.

NEON MERCURY

Hello???????????????.........dear so -called cinephiles!!!!

people actually like this garbage....?

how artistic is it to  go to  so,me random town and set a hidden camera down and "PUSH RECORD"????

seriously, ....would some of you guys call myself a  "quality artistic director" if a made a film that was 2 hours and 37 minutes long about three 40 year old guys wearing airbrush diapers that say"holla to da game..fo it ain'ts no shiz-ame", while taking dull butterknives and trying to perform openheart surgery on themselves..with cat stevens playing "The first Cut is the Deepest"..on a conntinus loop...??......

::remeber The Commodores::

ono

Well, I finally saw Gummo.  Normally, I'm wary about such films, and for the longest time I didn't really want to bother, especially after the horridness of Kids.  But I think it was this summer that something happened where I just got sick of your generic, run-of-the-mill narrative film and started to crave something really different.  And so I've committed myself to try to see as many fringe films such as these as possible.

Gummo was beautiful, really.  And I don't see what all the fuss was about as far as its "gruesomeness" goes.  I used to see myself as somewhat skittish, but I guess I've been desensitized, because I was more fascinated by this film than anything.  It's like a snapshot or scrapbook of emotions of this small town.  The narration underlines this.  The film presents all of this as fact that, yes, this is how life is, and this is how people live.  The more I think about it, the more real I realize it is.  And I think one of the things godardian said really is key here: this film captures the purity of certain moments in life, especially as far as the enigmatic "Bunny Boy" goes.  Question, though: why is it called "Gummo?"  I must've missed that.  And why was it ever threatened with an NC-17 rating?  I definitely don't get that.

In any event, some of you may feel this film is a waste of time, but I feel if you're willing to go into it with an open mind, it's a must see.  The only drawback to this film was perhaps it was spread too thin, especially for its sparse runtime.  To me, it ran like a documentary, or even a mockumentary, but the important thing to note is I don't feel Korine was mocking anyone here.  One of his goals, he's stated, is to try to capture real life with cameras rolling.  And in a way, he's succeeded here, even though it's scripted.  In a way, this scripted reality is more real than reality that is filmed with people aware of the cameras, because real actors can pull off an awareness and avoidance of cameras better.  Can't wait to see julien donkey-boy.  *** (7/10)

Pedro

I really agree with Ono's review, he basically says all I would want to say about it...and ill just state again that visually, it's just a beautiful film.  I don't really have a problem watching experimental material like this...it's like watching a shallow cremaster cycle in a white trash town containing no symbolism.  

Oh yeah, the line "could you hook me up with some glue" made me laugh a lot, too.

godardian

I like Ono's assessment, too.

I find Korine to be the cinematic equivalent (more or less) of Diane Arbus. He has a really stunning visual and textural sense. He'd be much better off if his films were shown in galleries and museums, though. The expectations would be different, and they'd be received and analyzed for what they are.

Ono, julien donkey-boy is one of the most beautiful and insistent explorations of the possibilities of DV I've ever seen.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Pedro

Quote from: ebeamanAnyway, I just saw this movie and I might post my thoughts later, I don't really feel like it now.
Face your fears, man.