Region free players...worth it?

Started by DigitalFriend, July 08, 2003, 09:01:42 AM

DigitalFriend

I checked on ebay and there are some really cheap players like $50-$75. (daewoo i think was one and "digix" or something)  Was wondering if anyone had experience with the cheap ones and also: which movies are out that aren't in region 1 that would make another DVD player purchase warrented?  I know 28 days later is already out in region 2...but what releases are there besides new ones that would benefit from this?

Thanks!

SiliasRuby

I just Bought Short Cuts Recently and it is Region 2
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

bonanzataz

and i've redirected TWICE to this thread today!

http://xixax.com/viewtopic.php?t=3346

if you're gonna get a region free, make sure it will convert pal to ntsc automatically. otherwise you'd have to get a converter and that could cost you some.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

jasper_window

Quote from: taz.

if you're gonna get a region free, make sure it will convert pal to ntsc automatically. otherwise you'd have to get a converter and that could cost you some.

I'm assuming you have a region free player which does this.  If so, how is the conversion?  Does it effect the colors, etc...?

bonanzataz

not really. it shakes a little, but it's watchable. hardly noticable. and i get obsessive about perfect picture.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

jasper_window

Quote from: taz.not really. it shakes a little, but it's watchable. hardly noticable. and i get obsessive about perfect picture.

Me too.  Thanks for the info.

You Never Got Me Down Ray

Quote from: SiliasRubyI just Bought Short Cuts Recently and it is Region 2

Where?
My life has taken another turn again. The days move along with regularity, over and over. One day indistinguishable from the next. A long, continuous chain. Then suddenly, there is change.

Just Withnail

Quote from: You Never Got Me Down Ray
Quote from: SiliasRubyI just Bought Short Cuts Recently and it is Region 2

Where?

Is the spanish one?

SiliasRuby

Yes it is the Spanish one and I got it off of ebay

My Collection

supremelegend

i bought mine and i love it...one of the best things i've ever bought.

SiliasRuby

Quote from: supremelegendi bought mine and i love it...one of the best things i've ever bought.

Good For You

My Collection

GoneSavage

Quote from: bonanzataznot really. it shakes a little, but it's watchable. hardly noticable. and i get obsessive about perfect picture.
Hi there.  Which model did you buy?  I will soon need a machine that will be able to convert PAL DVDs to NTSC but also take all regions.  Your help, or anyone else's help, is appreciated.

lamas

how about that shit?  i was just checking out new DVD players this morning.  i really wanna see Le Samourai and can only find Region 0 PAL DVDs.  check out http://www.220-electronics.com/  seems like a good site.  amazon carries the philips model on that site and it seems to have gotten some good customer reviews.  personally, i don't trust those super-foreign companies like Daewoo or Akai.  i'm a Philips, Sony, Zenith, Pioneer man myself.

what other-region DVDs are you looking for?

pete

yeah I fucking hate those super-foreigners.  I like ordinary foreigners who serve me burgers at footlockers.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Two Lane Blacktop

I bought a cheapie Apex DVD player (the 1500 I think...  I can go look if anyone really wants to know) and was able to mod it with a file I found on Usenet.  It cost about $60 and includes great PAL-to-NTSC conversion.

I bought it mainly for Peter Greenaway movies that aren't available in the US, but have also gotten a few cool things like Andy Warhol's Chelsea Girls, Lars von Trier's The Kingdom, and the two-season version of Twin Peaks.  

2LB
Body by Guinness