Female Filmmakers

Started by ©brad, January 23, 2003, 11:13:37 AM

Alethia

Quote from: samsong on June 15, 2018, 11:23:30 PM
Quote from: ©brad on June 15, 2018, 08:25:24 PM
Quote from: samsong on June 14, 2018, 05:00:11 PMhow about it was just a stupid fucking idea in the first place and was bound to be garbage?

No more stupid of an idea than any other Ocean sequel. I haven't seen it but I love the cast and there's no reason why it couldn't be fun. I wish Soderbergh directed it.

were you as optimistic about the ghostbusters remake?  i don't see how dusting off old material and swapping out the male leads for females (or vice vera, for that matter... god forbid charlene's angels ever happens.) is of any value.  it's the studios blatantly doing the least they can do to appease and monetize the new social standards and demands.

Quote from: ©brad on June 15, 2018, 08:25:24 PM
Quote from: samsong on June 14, 2018, 05:00:11 PMi imagine though that had a woman directed it, virtue signalling groupthink wouldve deemed it oscar-worthy.

This is nonsense. You're smarter than this.

am i, though? 

thought the hyperbole in that statement was fairly obvious.  it's as nonsensical as someone attributing the shortcomings of a mostly female movie to the mediocrity of its male director.   

being good for the "movement" (whatever it may be) is being equated with quality work, and i find that disconcerting.

I tend to agree. Samsong do you listen to the Bret Easton Ellis podcast? He waxes eloquently about this stuff on a regular basis.

Drenk

BEE is also full of shit sometimes. I understand what you mean but A Wrinkle In Time wasn't praised as a masterpiece. Representation is a slow frustrating process: it begins with POC playing minor ridiculous characters in blockbusters while corporations congratulate themselves, but it works. It's a step.
Ascension.

Alethia

Quote from: Drenk on June 16, 2018, 08:55:42 AM
BEE is also full of shit sometimes.

He can be. I disagree with him on a number of points, but his views in general on the matter I find pretty sensible. James Van Der Beek is the guest on the latest episode and provides a pretty solid counterpoint to several of Bret's musings, it's a very insightful conversation.

samsong

havent listened to BEE's podcast.  ill gve it a whirl.  his tweets are fairly polarized for me whenever they come up (i dont actively follow him in any regard).

Alethia

Yeah his tweets are largely crap and he's admitted as much, he mostly seems to use it now for promotional purposes or to recommend things he's seen/heard/read. But in terms of just pure movie conversation, his podcast (available now via Patreon) is one of the best, certainly my favorite.