Maniac

Started by Alethia, September 26, 2018, 11:58:38 AM

Alethia

Directed by Cary Joji Fukunaga

Anybody watch this yet? Caught the first episode last night, sorta dug it, sorta didn't....however I can be convinced to keep going, if anyone cares to try.

Also, I prefer Jonah Hill fat. Just sayin.

The Ultimate Badass

I just started this one as well. The first episode really didn't hook me, but I thought the style was interestingly strange. It's like Terry Gilliam mixed up with the current 80's nostalgia mania. I just finished the 2nd episode and I think it's beginning to develop into something.

BB

Kind of a white Sorry To Bother You tone, which I found surprising and an odd fit for Fukunaga although he's pretty game to handle it. Interestingly strange is a good way to put it. Think I like Sorry To Bother You better as the outre world creation thing is easier to sustain over two hours. Don't really love either of them, but I'm interested in that tone. What is it? Why is it?

pete

so many obvious punch drunk love ripoffs
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

BB

Watched more of this. Did a bot write it? What the hell?

polkablues

My house, my rules, my coffee

BB

Given that process, it's even more bizarre to me that this is what they turned out. I find it both boring and utterly nonsensical. This was genetically engineered to appeal to viewers? It plays like quirky 2000s indie madlibs. PDL and Eternal Sunshine, yes. But also Garden State, Donnie Darko, I Heart Huckabees, mumblecore, Tiny Furniture, all this shit I thought people hated. Then divorced from anything resembling human behaviour, conventional plotting, or experiential reality. At a glance, folks seem to be enjoying it too. Color me baffled, y'all.

pete

I also just thought Jonah Hill made some really bad acting choices. He's one of my favorite actors but in this he's trying to do a Jim Carrey and it's just not acting.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton