Best Screenplay

Started by MacGuffin, April 06, 2009, 08:09:04 PM

MacGuffin

Best Screenplay: SYNECDOCHE, NEW YORK (Charlie Kaufman)

THE NOMINEES

The Dark Knight
Milk
Synecdoche, New York
Wall•E
The Wrestler
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Kal

Nah. I did not even see this and I doubt its the best script of the year, even though Kaufman wrote it.

picolas

why? you're obviously not qualified to have that opinion. even though you're right.

Kal

Quote from: picolas on April 07, 2009, 02:22:09 AM
why? you're obviously not qualified to have that opinion. even though you're right.

True, if I haven't seen it I cannot say. I just haven't heard anybody else I know say that it was the best or anything close. His other scripts have been great so I have to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Sleepless

I was hoping that Milk would take this one. It does have a very, very good script. Haven't seen Synecdoche. I guess if y'all think it's that good I'll have to check it out. Eventually.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

squints

I think its totally deserving maybe just for the fact that I don't feel like a screenplay like this has ever been written and produced before? Its so complex and the film really struck a chord with me after the second viewing. I'd recommend everyone see this if you haven't yet.

There was nothing original about the Milk script. It felt kinda hackneyed almost.
The Dark Knight had a whack third act.
The Wrestler had an easy-way-out ending.
Wall-E....maybe.
but synecdoche, ny, while its not perfect either, is a fascinating trip into a world that's governed by charlie kaufman's dream logic. Not just visually either (via Gondry, Jonze direction) but its totally there in the writing. I'm glad this won.
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche