renee "do i have something in my eye?" zellweger

Started by NEON MERCURY, March 15, 2004, 09:35:02 PM

ono

I hated Bridget Jones's Diary, and this is before I knew any better (or worse).  Before I became so discriminating, if you could call it that.  Jerry Maguire was okay, but not because of her.  Tom Cruise made that film.  She can't act (at least not from what I've seen).  I saw Empire Records way too long ago to remember anything of consequence about it.  She looked so disgustingly anorexic in Chicago.  Zeta-Jones', Gere's, and Reilly's performances were the only thing good about that movie.  I could take or leave what Queen Latifah did, especially considering her back-to-status-quo career choices afterwards.  Bleh.  I've never seen an actress so undeserving get so much undue attention.  This makes Julia Roberts' praise justified (not saying it's not; Julia has actually had her moments, even if she, as Lois from Family Guy would say, "has lips like a baboon").

©brad

geez, i didn't know it was let's-be-a-harsh-asshole-day at xixax. hrm...

well i think she's quite charming and a helluva actress, most notably in bridget jones and chicago.

El Duderino

i think she's very overrated, but she was good in Jerry Maguire
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

Ernie

Quote from: Chest RockwellI can't stand Renee Zellweger

Me neither! Did anybody else hear about her prediction to win an oscar this year after being snubbed sometime in the past, she apparently said something to the affect of, "I think they'll make the right choice this year." And apparently, she wasn't kidding.

Anyway, even if that's not true, I still hate her. She is the main reason I don't watch "Jerry Maguire" more than a couple times a year. She's a terrible actress. "Empire Records" is like the worst movie I've ever seen and it's even worse for introducing her into a profession she should have stayed far away from.

El Duderino

"Empire Records" is like the worst movie I've ever seen and it's even worse for introducing her into a profession she should have stayed far away from.

well put.[/quote]
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

MacGuffin

Renee did about four movies before "Empire Records", the most well known being "Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Next Generation."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Mavis

Quote from: ebeamanShe is the main reason I don't watch "Jerry Maguire" more than a couple times a year.
Now you've gone too far.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: GloriaI like Renee Zellweger, especially in Bridget Jones's Diary and White Oleander.  She doesn't have the conventional beauty we all come to expect from actresses, but that helps her stand out.  She was willing to gain weight for BJD, sing for Chicago, and really seems to take her roles seriously.  I think she is very charming onscreen (proven by her role in Jerry McGuire).  And how come when someone dislikes a successful actress, it is immediately thought that she performed certain favors to get where she is?  I find that insulting.

You speak as if my dislike of her is solely based on her success. c'mon. I did have reasons. The 'fucking her way to the top' part was just a joke. But, hey, be insulted if you want to.

Gloria

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetYou speak as if my dislike of her is solely based on her success. c'mon. I did have reasons. The 'fucking her way to the top' part was just a joke. But, hey, be insulted if you want to.

I know you had reasons, and I didn't mean to come across like I was attacking you. It is just too often actresses hard work are only secondary to how they look.  Renee seems to work hard and I just found the 'fucking her way to the top' insulting to the work she does.  It seems to happen more to actresses than to actors, you know? Anyways, I'm over it and I realize it was just a joke.

molly

i think that maybe what's annoying you about zellwegger is that because of her eyes and cheeks some "image-advisor" told her to put all cards on that childish look, so now she talks like a spoilt child, awful voice but totally fake, like in Jerry Maguire when she yells on that guy that played that football player and his wife for not trusting to Jerry. I think that that voice is totally fake and WRONG.

ElPandaRoyal

Quote from: mollyi think that maybe what's annoying you about zellwegger is that because of her eyes and cheeks some "image-advisor" told her to put all cards on that childish look, so now she talks like a spoilt child, awful voice but totally fake, like in Jerry Maguire when she yells on that guy that played that football player and his wife for not trusting to Jerry. I think that that voice is totally fake and WRONG.

Isn't there a possibility that that's her actual voice? I mean, if actors wanted to fake their voice, why'd they choose such an irritating voice. (It's strange, I dislike her voice, but have nothing against her as an actress - except for that Cold Mountain fiasco of amovie)
Si

molly

i'd say that the Jerry Maguire scene i mentioned is quite diagnostic - Renee totally went out of the context, out of the blue she spoke in that artificial voice that nobody speaks with. Or maybe she is not so good actress. I think that maybe because she isn't so good looking compared to Nicole Kidman etc. and Hollywood insists on her looks and that's the reason for bad choices she makes. She functioned in Nurse Betty and Bridget Jones, and i think she would be more successful if she wouldn't put her looks infront of her personality. Actresses like Holly Hunter or Sissy Spacek look fine but you don't expect of them to pose in front of cameras in tight dresses. It's just not in their nature, unless it's kind of like a joke.
It's awful how anatomy can shadow the talent. I saw Ana Paquin in some movie that she made as a teenager and her upper lip might be a problem for her.
What's your opinion?

ono

Miramax likes her.  Bob and Harv like her.  And therefore, the press likes her, and therefore YOU like her.  Capisce?

Thrindle

Classic.