book to movie adaptations

Started by bonanzataz, October 02, 2003, 05:42:34 PM

Redlum

Seeing as I loved Wonder Boys so much I'm eager to hear more about the adaptation of The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Klay. I'm sure it would make a fantastic movie. Last I read, Chabon wasn't happy with the first screenplay and so set to work to write one himself?
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

Ghostboy

No, he actually wrote the first draft himself. A few script reviews popped up online about a year ago...they were decidedly mixed. I think the story is too huge to be successfully adapted, but I hope I'm proven wrong. Sydney Pollack was originally going to direct, and then Stephen Daldry became attached.

Fernando

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetMy own personal dream project of book adaptation would be Perfume: The Story of a Murderer, a horror novel. Kubrick had interest in it and almost did it. I'm glad he didn't. The little of theme that is in the novel, does fit Kubrick's repetoire of interests in movies, this an outsider being disguised as something else in order to fit into a world. My fear would be that Kubrick would propel this to dominate the entire movie. It would miss oportunities of what can be accomplished in the novel and cliche for him.

Actually, Kubrick never had interest in directing it, it was Patrick Suskind who wanted only Kubrick to make his novel into a film, and even his family encourage him to do it but he unfortunately never did. There's no doubt in my mind that he would have done an amazing film with it, as he did with everyone of his films.

godardian

Quote from: ®edlumSeeing as I loved Wonder Boys so much I'm eager to hear more about the adaptation of The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Klay. I'm sure it would make a fantastic movie.

Hear, hear!

Daldry would be... okay, I guess. I would love to see Curtis Hanson do it. He did so well with Wonder Boys, and L.A. Confidential proved that he can do period, so... A lot of it would be in the casting, too.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Ghostboy

Back when Pollack was on board, Jude Law and Ben Stiller were the frontrunners. I'd personally like to see Adrien Brody and...someone else.

Redlum

Hmm I can see Jude Law, but Ben Stiller is too well built for Clay.

If this was made as a film, (aslong as they dont screw with it) it would be so diverse. It would make such an amazing film. Look at all the different sections, The Escape from Prague, The Boyhood comic book dream, the Romance between Rosa and Jo, Bacon and Clay, The War, Joes brother, Joe flying over to kill that scientist and the whole part in the air hanger, and then the whole two fathers ending.

I dont see why it couldnt be done. Volume 1 & 2?
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

edison

I loved both the book and the film for The Thin Red Line, definatly a must read and the film stays pretty faithful to it also.

High Fidelity was great also, loved how they used most of the funniest lines in the book during the times John is talking to the camera, i was afraid they would not use them.

godardian

Quote from: GhostboyBack when Pollack was on board, Jude Law and Ben Stiller were the frontrunners. I'd personally like to see Adrien Brody and...someone else.

Law as Joe and Ben as Sam? That could work... I bet Stiller could do introversion if given a chance. He would really need to be directed to settle down, though. The other way around, I'm not sure if that would work so well. Physically, they could both be right, and they both can be good actors.

There are definitely other possibilities, though. Brody would be great if you're thinking of him as Joe, 'cept it would be awfully close to what he did in The Piano, at least for a significant stretch...
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

AK

Quote from: Fernando
Quote from: The Gold TrumpetMy own personal dream project of book adaptation would be Perfume: The Story of a Murderer, a horror novel. Kubrick had interest in it and almost did it. I'm glad he didn't. The little of theme that is in the novel, does fit Kubrick's repetoire of interests in movies, this an outsider being disguised as something else in order to fit into a world. My fear would be that Kubrick would propel this to dominate the entire movie. It would miss oportunities of what can be accomplished in the novel and cliche for him.

Actually, Kubrick never had interest in directing it, it was Patrick Suskind who wanted only Kubrick to make his novel into a film, and even his family encourage him to do it but he unfortunately never did. There's no doubt in my mind that he would have done an amazing film with it, as he did with everyone of his films.

Perfume is one of my favourite books ever! But i never heard about any connection with Kubrick till now....in fact , I always knew Süskind never wanted his books  to become movies and being honest I didn't wanna to see as a film as well...it is  richly described in a way that i still cannot imagine transformed in images...

MacGuffin

Quote from: EEz28High Fidelity was great also, loved how they used most of the funniest lines in the book during the times John is talking to the camera, i was afraid they would not use them.

Source: Los Angeles Times

The "Avenue Q" producers are developing a musical based on "High Fidelity," using both the Nick Hornby novel and its 2000 movie adaptation for inspiration, co-producer Kevin McCollum says. The score is by composer Tom Kitt and lyricist Amanda Green. David Lindsay-Abaire ("Kimberly Akimbo") has been hired to write an adapation of the story about a record-store owner.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Chest Rockwell

Redlum

Chabon was asked about Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Klay at BNAT5.

From AintItCoolNews:

QuoteI managed to ask about the status of the film adaptation of Kavalier and Clay. His answer was, "Its a Dead Shark. It aint movin'." If it does take place, he mentioned that the idea was to have the Antarctica section presented visually as a comic book, but without animation (he didn't seem quire sure how this would be done). This guy is damn cool though and a great writer, if you haven't checked out Kavalier and Clay you owe it to yourself to seek it out.

Bummer  :?
  -  George Lucas

Reinhold

i'd like to see Good Omens, by Neil Gaiman and Terry Prachett made into a film.
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

SiliasRuby

Quote from: ...& IIsn't Gilliam doing that one?
If I am not mistaken I thought he is going to do it.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection