Kevin Smith

Started by Banky, April 28, 2003, 09:44:26 PM

Banky

Which Kevin Smith film could you have done without?

Or if you are a die hard, if you had to scrap one, which one would it be?

I could definatly leave behind J&SBSB.  Not a terrible movie by any means.  Had some good laughs but it is by far the worst of all Smith's work.

cowboykurtis

all of them -- chasing amy is the only one worth a damn
...your excuses are your own...

Cecil

all of them, except for clerks which i like

Banky

Any Smith Fans want to post an entertaining response.  And how can somone say that Dogma is not worth a Damn?

cowboykurtis

Quote from: BankyEdwardsAny Smith Fans want to post an entertaining response.  And how can somone say that Dogma is not worth a Damn?

i said it -- thats how
...your excuses are your own...

Raikus

This can only end badly. Donnie Darko thread, prepare to be usurped!
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

ShanghaiOrange

I've seen all of his films and never laughed out loud once. I was still entertained though. :(
They're all pretty good.
Last five films (theater)
-The Da Vinci Code: *
-Thank You For Smoking: ***
-Silent Hill: ***1/2 (high)
-Happy Together: ***1/2
-Slither: **

Last five films (video)
-Solaris: ***1/2
-Cobra Verde: ***1/2
-My Best Fiend: **1/2
-Days of Heaven: ****
-The Thin Red Line: ***

Kev Hoffman

I'd scrap Mallrats without a thought.

The others can stay...though I wasn't a big fan of JASBSB, I still laughed a few times.  Clerks, Chasing Amy, and Dogma A-ok in my book.

Ravi

I hate Mallrats.  JSBSB has its moments, but I don't want to sit through it again.

Alethia

CLERKS, CHASING AMY, AND DOGMA ARE WONDERFUL

Jay and silent bob strike back had some laughs, but it was way too fucking long and very flat at many points

mallrats is just depressing --  :cry:

SHAFTR

Clerks is timeless.
Chasing Amy is one of my favs.
Mallrats gets better with every viewing.
Dogma has a great idea behind it and some funny/serious scenes.

J&SB Strike Back was just a love song to his fans...I am one of his fans but I still could do without.  It has the least replay value.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

EL__SCORCHO

Quote from: cowboykurtisall of them -- chasing amy is the only one worth a damn

Agreed.

I liked the "An evening with Kevin Smith" dvd. Much better than most of his movies.

snaporaz

i always thought of smith's films as a progressively bad downhill snowball.

clerks - just fucking great. awesome, awesome movie. creative and original all the way.
mallrats - kind of like a not-so-great zuckers bros. film, but i still laughed. it's good.
chasing amy - a decent film, as far as respectability goes, but it really wasn't my cup of tea.
dogma - horrible dialouge for subject matter that should have been dealt with in a more tasteful manner, yet should still retain the humour [which it lacked]. and having people like chris rock and selma heyak [sp?] in it for their "acting abilities" was just fucking retarded. and cameos such as george carlin and alanis fucking morrisette as god [for fuck sake] was, simpy put, hollywood bullshit. not to mention having to deal with the usual ben assfuck and matt gayman. the horrible actors and shitty "smart" dialouge and the entire goof-off-who-gives-a-shit-how-this-movie-is-made atmosphere of it just really turned me off.

in one word: stupid.

jay and silent bob strike back - absolutely horrible. again with the fucking cameos. i can't believe smith actually got the energy and foresight to write this script. did anyone else cringe when those two guys [i forget who and ben assfuck] turn to the camera, like, as if looking to the audience? FUCK.

maybe if smith actually made a movie based on some previous work instead of his own useless, sold-out, hollywood brown-nosing efforts, it might actually be good. until then, i am boycotting his "films". unless i actually hear some reliable word-of-mouth.

unfortunately, my friends' word of mouth isn't too reliable.  :(

Ernie

clerks is fucking awesome.

mallrats sucks.

chasing amy sucks.

dogma is kinda funny. (shit monster=not funny)

j&sbsb is funnier. (breaking 3rd wall=played out so...not funny)

an evening w/ kevin smith is hilarious!

So, I guess I'd get rid of either chasing amy or mallrats...they're both horrible in really different ways. Mallrats is pretty harmless so I guess that can stay...Chasing Amy is so bad and horribly acted and just plain bad (I'm such a great critic) so I'll have to let that one go I think. Wow, it's just really................bad. Both commentaries are freakin' hilarious though...hence my borrowing of the dvd's from my sister every once in awhile.

chainsmoking insomniac

Chasing Amy
Clerks
Dogma
(in that order)
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls