films that influenced PDL?

Started by tpfkabi, March 28, 2003, 09:09:39 PM

brockly

I've heard PTA say that Singing in the Rain was an influence, that whole 40s feel.

sexterossa

wierd, i was going to start this exact thread. pta always talks about jon demme being a big influence, does anyone know which films in particular? melvin and howard had some magnolia in it to me.
I dream of birds and sometimes they land and burst into flames. And I dream my teeth are rotting. And when I am awake, I dream of you.

godardian

Quote from: sexterossawierd, i was going to start this exact thread. pta always talks about jon demme being a big influence, does anyone know which films in particular? melvin and howard had some magnolia in it to me.

I'd guess- this is just me guessing- everything up through Something Wild...? I'm thinking anything Silence of the Lambs on gets a bit conventional- proficient, but conventional- to be too exciting to a young filmmaker.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

sexterossa

Quote from: godardian
Quote from: sexterossawierd, i was going to start this exact thread. pta always talks about jon demme being a big influence, does anyone know which films in particular? melvin and howard had some magnolia in it to me.

I'd guess- this is just me guessing- everything up through Something Wild...? I'm thinking anything Silence of the Lambs on gets a bit conventional- proficient, but conventional- to be too exciting to a young filmmaker.

are there any during that era that i should be warned to avoid? because thats a lot to view, i need some descriminating picks.
I dream of birds and sometimes they land and burst into flames. And I dream my teeth are rotting. And when I am awake, I dream of you.

Pubrick

this reminds me of this episode of Futurama where Fry falls for a robot Lucy Liu who is programmed to say predictable things.

they're staring at each other all in love like--
FRY: You
Lucy: YOU

and the professor dude says "Oh no, she's stuck in an endless loop and he's an idiot!"

that's what sexterossa asking questions and godardian answering everything is gonna be like.
under the paving stones.

sexterossa

you are fortunate pubrick. i don't think i will be here for very long. i feel so unproductive on these boards. it can become a rather depressing existence. i care not to relive it.

Cecil

no, dont go. just stick around for a few weeks and youll see.

chainsmoking insomniac

Quote from: P™this reminds me of this episode of Futurama where Fry falls for a robot Lucy Liu who is programmed to say predictable things.

they're staring at each other all in love like--

and the professor dude says "Oh no, she's stuck in an endless loop and he's an idiot!"

that's what sexterossa asking questions and godardian answering everything is gonna be like.

P, why the hostility?  They're discussing valid and somewhat engaging topics, so fucking relax!  :wink:
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

Duck Sauce

Quote from: cecil b. dementedno, dont go. just stick around for a few weeks and youll see.

How desperate

Cecil

Quote from: Duck Sauce
Quote from: cecil b. dementedno, dont go. just stick around for a few weeks and youll see.

How desperate

this is just like when my mommy left. noooooo dont go!

©brad

Quote from: punchdrunk23
P, why the hostility?  They're discussing valid and somewhat engaging topics, so fucking relax!  :wink:

dude it was a joke. it was funny. u relax.

tpfkabi

i've wondered the same about Demme. i've heard people mention him, but nothing i've seen by him really took me as being anything special......or something that directors would definitely point out as being influencial, etc........maybe i've only seen Silence of the Lambs........anywho, what do you recommend?
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

modage

i think,  (and this is just a guess perhaps), that something that PT responds to about demmes pre-lambs work is his ability (or attempt, depending on how you look at it) to switch between comedy and drama in a non-conventional way.  or, maybe to have something like a love story or comedyy and throw in darker elements like real danger and violence. (IE: not being confined to the rules of a genre.)   i think that MARRIED TO THE MOB and SOMETHING WILD were both pretty good examples of this.  (although personally i didnt really care for either of these terribly, it seems like this is soemthing that attracts him to demme).  they both kind of start out like typical by-the-numbers sorts of movies but then switch gears on you pretty suddenly with scenes that are sometimes frighteningly violent.  you can really see the influence on PDL as it could almost be a romantic comedy for the masses but with barrys violent outbursts, the car crashes and various other darker elements, it refuses to stay inside the "box".
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

tpfkabi

after seeing Playtime and Mon Oncle again.......i now see the Tati influence. where i see it is the sound.
examples:
barry's shoes squeaking at the beginning where it is totally dark(when he's walking to the door)

the walking into the door in the office is the kind of gag like when the kids whistle and make people walk into poles in MOn Oncle

in the grocery store.....the soundtrack is silent until he opens the freezer and you hear the freezer purrrrrrr.........that's very Tati

and when Barry runs through Lena's apartment building.....that whole montage of sound.....the footsteps and when he opens the Exit door and a car speeds by

oh, and Couch is pretty much a modern Tati short in every way
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Rooty Poots

Re: Barry walking into the glass door & Jacques Tati:

Okay, sorry for resuscitating a dead thread from a decade ago.
Hire me for your design projects ya turkeys! Lesterco