TOP 10 1999

Started by modage, May 12, 2003, 01:01:32 PM

modage

and speaking of 1999, what were your favorite movies? heres mine...

magnolia
fight club
american beauty
being john malkovich
three kings
eyes wide shut
toy story 2
the matrix
the green mile
girl interrupted
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

SoNowThen

Oh well, I missed it before, so here goes:

1. Magnolia
2. Fight Club
3. Bringing Out The Dead
4. The Thin Red Line
5. The Insider
6. Eyes Wide Shut
7. The Virgin Suicides
8. Three Kings
9. Election
10. South Park: Bigger, Longer, Uncut

Geez, look at that. We'll never see Kubrick, Malick, Scorsese, and PTA release a film in the same year again. No contest for my fav year for films.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

phil marlowe

sonowthen baby, the thin red line is from 1998 and the virgin suicides is from 2000

SoNowThen

imdb lists virgin suicides for 1999, when I believe it came out in very select theatres. But I stand corrected on Thin Red Line. Shit. Sorry.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

The Silver Bullet

01. Magnolia
02. Eyes Wide Shut
03. Being John Malkovich
04. Three Kings
05. Bringing Out The Dead
RABBIT n. pl. rabĀ·bits or rabbit[list=1]
  • Any of various long-eared, short-tailed, burrowing mammals of the family Leporidae.
  • A hare.
    [/list:o][/size]