Brett Ratner

Started by Spike, June 13, 2003, 04:09:31 PM

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

don't forget to bring your hemlock.
context, context, context.

B.C. Long

I swear to god we should all pitch in and someone from this board go have dinner with him and rip him a new one. To catch that on camera would be sweet sweet justice.

pete

no way, he'd charm your pants off.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

B.C. Long

Or maybe I'd charm his pants off.

soixante

I have never seen any of Ratner's films.
Music is your best entertainment value.

mogwai

Quote from: soixante on August 12, 2007, 03:09:51 AM
I have never seen any of Ratner's films.

neither have i.

I Don't Believe in Beatles

From IMDB:

Moviemaker Brett Ratner is demanding a $10 million fee to direct a movie after "running low" on money, according to reports. The director made a reported $ 7 million for his work on Rush Hour 3. But a source tells New York gossip column PageSix, "Brett got $7 million upfront for the movie, but if it had done as well as Rush Hour 2, he would have gotten another $10 million off the back end. He got $5 million to direct X-Men: The Last Stand but didn't see anything on the back end because it barely broke even. He's now trying to command a fee of $10 million upfront to direct a movie which is out of range for a lot of projects. His cash is running a bit low." But a representative for Ratner refuted the claims, adding, "That is ridiculous. Brett has a two-picture deal with Imagine and a third at New Line."
"A film is - or should be - more like music than like fiction. It should be a progression of moods and feelings. The theme, what's behind the emotion, the meaning, all that comes later." --Stanley Kubrick

MacGuffin

NBC gets 'Blood' pumping
Brett Ratner cop drama to shoot in fall
Source: Variety

NBC is resurrecting "Blue Blood," the Brett Ratner-Neil Tolkin police drama that had been set up at Fox last year.

Peacock has greenlit production of a pilot for the project, with Ratner aboard to helm and exec produce via his Rat TV banner and 20th Century Fox TV. Lensing is set to begin in Gotham this fall.

Gina Matthews ("What Women Want") and Grant Scharbo are exec producing via their Little Engine Prods. (formerly known as Roundtable). Tolkin wrote the pilot script and will exec produce.

Based on the bestselling 2004 autobiography by Gotham cop Ed Conlon, "Blue" is an ensemble hour about a rookie NYPD police officer. The twist: The newbie officer is a Harvard grad who decides to return to the family beat -- law enforcement.

Fox made a put pilot commitment to "Blue Blood" more than a year ago, intending to shoot a pilot last spring (Daily Variety, July 21, 2006). But the project was never cast and didn't move forward.

NBC's new regime of Ben Silverman and Teri Weinberg, however, apparently liked the concept and decided to snap it up. Getting Ratner aboard to direct was said to be key to their decision to greenlight it.

Weinberg said she and her NBC colleagues "love the world Neil Tolkin has created inside of this fantastic script" and said the net was pumped to have the script "visually realized" by Ratner.

Ratner told Daily Variety last year that Tolkin's script did a good job of portraying the ups and downs of being a rookie.

"It's got a tremendous amount of heart and humor and action, all the things I like to do," he said.

Matthews co-created the WB's cult drama "Popular," and the duo exec produced "The Mountain" and "Jake 2.0."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

JG

Quote from: MacGuffin on September 11, 2007, 10:00:50 PM
humor and action, all the things I like [...]

hack-tion

asdgsadhSHASFDHASHL;LK;L

SoNowThen

Quote from: MacGuffin on August 01, 2006, 12:56:34 AM
EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW: BRETT RATNER
By Devin Faraci; CHUD

Q: Do you have a smaller movie waiting?

Ratner: A small movie. Not as small as this [The Grand]! I have a movie. I would like to remake The Killing of a Chinese Bookie.

Q: That's very ballsy. Remaking Cassavetes.

Ratner: Ballsy? Come on, Paul Thomas Anderson said he'll personally put a bullet in my head. It's the greatest movie ever made to him. The problem is that nobody's seen it except for cinephiles. It never got a release in the United States – I think it played for one day and Cassavetes pulled it because it got bad reviews. It only came out in France. It's a cult film and it's a flawed movie. I think it's a brilliant movie, tonally it's brilliant, but I'm not remaking Psycho. Come on.

Other people caught this, right? Holy fuck. He must be joking to inflate his "rep", but still.

It's impossible that anybody can be this stupid.

Ratner as the inspiration for Gob Bluth? "Yeah, interviewer, the guy in the $7000 suit isn't gonna remake Cassavetes? COME ON!!"
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

MacGuffin

Ratner, Tucker reteam for 'Sinatra'
New Line options book by crooner's valet
Source: Variety

"Rush Hour" buddies Brett Ratner and Chris Tucker are set to reteam with New Line.

The studio has optioned the rights to the book "Mr. S: My Life With Frank Sinatra," with Ratner attached to direct and produce and Tucker eyeing the starring role of Sinatra valet George Jacobs.

Book, a dishy tell-all penned by Jacobs and William Stadiem, was first published by HarperCollins in 2003. It offers a behind-the-scenes glimpse into the world of Sinatra and the Rat Pack.

Stadiem, a longtime chronicler of old Hollywood, has been tapped to write the screenplay, which weaves in celebrity anecdotes involving Marilyn Monroe, Peter Lawford, the Kennedys, Ava Gardner, Humphrey Bogart, Mia Farrow, Elvis Presley, Swifty Lazar and Marlene Dietrich, among others.

Rat Entertainment's Jay Stern also will produce alongside Adam Fields ("Donnie Darko").

"It's like a love story between two very unlikely people," Stadiem said. "Brett is a Rat Pack obsessive, and so it's fun to work with someone so passionate about the period. I think he's channeling Frank sometimes."

Tucker met with Jacobs in the summer and bonded with the Zelig-like figure, who worked for Sinatra from 1953-68.

Ratner has a first-look deal at New Line, the studio that produced his feature directorial debut, "Money Talks" -- which starred Tucker -- as well as the "Rush Hour" trilogy and "After the Sunset."

In recent years, Tucker has worked nearly exclusively with Ratner. He is currently prepping a standup comedy tour.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

ElPandaRoyal

:roll:

I think he's gonna call it "There Will Be Sinatra", because, like, Paul Thomas Anderson once named one of his movies kinda like that, y'know!

EDIT: Oh, and Polanski told him he likes that title, when he called this one time.
Si

Ravi

http://www.varietyasiaonline.com/component/option,com_myblog/show,JACKIE-CHAN-EATS-DONT-CARE.html/Itemid,/

Oct 02 2007
Jackie Chan eats his foot

On his blog recently, Jackie Chan talked about doing the promo circuit for RUSH HOUR 3 and, in the process, he said the following:

"Personally, I thought this movie was no different from RUSH HOUR 1 & 2. Nothing particularly exciting stood out that made this movie special for me. I still don't quite understand some of the American humor that features a lot in this movie but maybe that's because I come from a different culture. I spent 4 months making this film and I still don't fully understand the humor. I believe the majority of the Asian audience might not understand the humor either."

He went on to say:

"I remember when I filmed RUSH HOUR 1, my original intention was to test the American market. I didn't have high hopes of being successful so all I did was try my best. When we finished filming, I felt very disappointed because it was a movie I didn't appreciate and I did not like the action scenes involved. I felt the style of action was too Americanized and I didn't understand the American humor."

So why did he make RUSH HOUR 2?

"Because this movie was so popular, I was offered an irresistible amount of money to film the sequel and I could not say no."

Outlets like Yahoo news have picked up the story and cast it in a very negative light, adding that Chan recently spoke to Xinhua (China's official news agency) and said:

"The movie I just shot with Jet Li, 'The Forbidden Kingdom,' actually isn't that great...If I say it's a good movie now, then many people will be filled with overly high expectations and be disappointed when they see the movie."

In Hong Kong, apparently, the mood is pretty grim and fans seem annoyed at Jackie's frank attitude towards the fact that he's now a sausage maker, working deep in the bowels of the factory and churning out sausages. And on CHUD, an American fan writes an editorial entitled "F---  You, Jackie Chan" which says, in part:

"The RUSH HOUR films do suck, but you should have used your so-called clout and done what you could to keep them from being so. Bashing them is insulting to anyone who has bought a ticket to your American films, a mistake I'll never make again."

Reading Jackie Chan's blog has always been big fun. He's pretty straight-forward about his likes and dislikes (likes: buying things on HSN and watching TV; dislikes: make-up and press junkets) as well as about people (he's constantly bagging on Brett Ratner, saying in a recent post "With Brett Ratner, every time he sees me it's like he sees his girlfriend. He kisses me all over from my cheeks down to my neck, making my face and head all wet with his saliva." This is one of the most disgusting mental images I've ever had forced on me. And it seems about right).  It would be a shame if Jackie had to tone it down so he didn't hurt his movies' marketability.

But these posts do reveal what's happened to Jackie. GORGEOUS (1999) was his last movie that I really enjoyed. Some people say Jackie hasn't been the same since he went Hollywood, but Jet Li has been able to go to the US without sacrificing quality (ROME MUST DIE is fun trash and UNLEASHED is just an all-around terrific movie, and FEARLESS, for all its faults, was exactly the movie that Ronny Yu and Jet Li wanted to make). So why has Jackie become a joke? He's so poorly regarded that his 2005 movie, THE MYTH, is getting released straight to video on October 30 as was NEW POLICE STORY. This is a big budget Jackie Chan movie that has had several distributors promise they're going to give it a wide, theatrical release in the US but, ultimately, they obviously didn't think it would make them their money back.

Some people say that the problem is that Jackie's gotten old, or that he does the same thing over and over, or that he's slowing down, but I don't think that explains his career doldrums. As his blog posts make plain, he's settled. He's willing to turn out a movie that he knows is no good. He's willing to settle for making jokes he thinks aren't funny. He's willing to settle for a movie where he thinks the action isn't good enough. This isn't the Jackie of decades ago who insisted on 500 takes of one trick in YOUNG MASTER. This isn't the Jackie who always kept upping the ante in every movie, trying to put something onscreen that no one had ever seen before. This isn't the Jackie who fired Lau Kar-leung from DRUNKEN MASTER 2 because he didn't think his action choreography was good enough.

Jackie didn't get old. Jackie settled. And for that he loses my respect.

The Sheriff

id fuck ayn rand