Carlos Reygadas

Started by Ordet, August 19, 2009, 12:51:01 PM

Ordet

Japón (Japan)
Batalla en el cielo (Battle in heaven)
Luz silenciosa (Silent Light)

What are your thoughts on this Mexican art house filmmaker. To me his best film is Silent Light, made with a beautiful and spiritual formality. Although I can't get over the fact that it wanted to be Ordet, the Carl Th Dreyer's cinematic miracle.

were spinning

Stefen

I've only seen Japón and that was years ago when I probably didn't get it. Is Silent Light a good place to go next?
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Alexandro

Quote from: Stefen on August 19, 2009, 12:57:48 PM
I've only seen Japón and that was years ago when I probably didn't get it. Is Silent Light a good place to go next?

yes.
i haven't seen battle in heaven. most comments I've heard are negative. I didn't care for Japón. but silent light is awesome.

Ordet

watch all of them, Batalla en el cielo did lose itself in it's pretentiousness but its got interesting moments. On a side note Amat Escalante who served as the A.D on Batalla en el cielo recently released his second feature Los Bastardos. I recently saw it and must say definetly worth watching.
were spinning

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Cloudy

While we wait until May 1st for Post Tenebras Lux,

Here's Reygadas' first short film, I really dig it:

Also, here's a link to a few shorts he's done recently (I posted this in the Post Tenebras thread a while ago):

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/watch-2010-carlos-reygadas-short-this-is-my-kingdom-20130208?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Cloudy

Here's the best interview I've read of this man. His perspective on film is from a completely different planet. And I love that fucking planet.

http://bombsite.com/issues/111/articles/3452