PTA vs Fincher

Started by meatball, October 18, 2003, 05:35:36 PM

private witt

yeah, that's true.  I guess I kind of hold them in different categories since Fincher doesn't write.  Now what if Fincher wrote or if pta sent a script to someone else?  What if we didn't argue over who's better in the upper echilons of art film and instead criticized crap like Garden state instead?
"If you work in marketing or advertising, kill yourself.  You contribute nothing of value to the human race, just do us all a favor and end your fucking life."  ~Bill Hicks

SiliasRuby

Quote from: private wittWhat if we didn't argue over who's better in the upper echilons of art film and instead criticized crap like Garden state instead?
You go to this place (http://www.xixax.com/viewtopic.php?t=5769) to talk about that.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

Two Lane Blacktop

Quote from: MyxomatosisDavid Fincher might be a great director, but until he can manage to come up with a great film that he's written and directed, he will never ever be in the same category as Paul Thomas Anderson.

True...  Fincher will have to settle for being in the same category as Stanley Kubrick.  

:wink:

2LB
Body by Guinness

meatball

Quote from: MyxomatosisPaul Thomas Anderson..

Hard Eight: Written and directed by PTA.
Boogie Nights: Written and directed by PTA.
Magnolia: Written and directed by PTA.
Punch Drunk Love: Written and directed by PTA.

David Fincher

Alien 3: Directed by DF (Somebody else wrote it)
Seven: Directed by DF (Somebody else wrote it)
The Game: Directed by DF (Somebody else wrote it)
Fight Club: Directed by DF (Somebody else wrote it)
Panic Room: Directed by DF (Somebody else wrote it)

I have great respect for the work of both Fincher and PTA, but for totally different reasons.

While Fincher is pretty much a technical demigod when it comes to filmmaking, many of his movies are commercial "movie" movies (Alien, The Game, Panic Room). If they do have some personal perspective (Se7en, Fight Club) it's that of the writer first... which gets Fincher's attention and then he directs the shit out of it.

What I appreciate in PTA's films is the personal perspective he puts into his screenplays and movies, intentionally or not. It gives his work a soul, and a unique voice that is lacking in a lot of things these days. I'd really like to see what he could do with a script that he hasn't written himself.

Alethia

yeah, i've always thought david fincher was a bit of a hack.  no enjoyment from any of his movies except for a little bit from se7en and the game.

Anyone that submits to Groupthought deserves to be made fun of, especially in public.

and you deserve to be beaten with a bat, especially for that statement.

ono

There's a reason the Fincher forum was replaced.  All I'm saying.

Myxo

That's the difference between PTA and DF.

Anderson is a filmaker.
Fincher is a director.

I see a distinct difference between a guy who takes a screenplay and sets his mind in motion to put it on the screen. Some guys do it well (I personally think Fincher is excellent), but it really doesn't make that person much of a storyteller. If you look at the great filmakers, they all wrote and directed at least a few films over their lifetime. I think Fincher could write a good story, but he certainly hasn't chosen to so far.

cowboykurtis

fincher is one of the best directors working today - better than 90% out there
...your excuses are your own...

ono

But he's still just a director.

cowboykurtis

Quote from: wantautopia?But he's still just a director.

what the fuck are you?

ono

cowboykurtis

you're a fucking CHILD

ono

Quote from: cowboykurtisyou're a fucking CHILD
I rest my case.

Oh, and boondock saints.

Now I rest my case.

cine

cowboyk, we're still waiting for that picture of you with marty and jack.

cowboykurtis

why do you all hate me so much?