The only other actor next to Gary Oldman...

Started by NEON MERCURY, June 25, 2003, 11:43:24 PM

NEON MERCURY

that can play ANY role and pull it off would be Billy Crudup.

O-P-I-N-I-O-N-S ?????????????

chainsmoking insomniac

Crudup is good, don't get me wrong, but he doesn't hold a candle to Oldman.  No fucking way.
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

MacGuffin

Compleat Female Stage Beauty: Artisan revealed that principal photography begins today on this British comedy from Director Richard Eyre ("Iris", "The Crucible") and which features the likes of Billy Crudup, Claire Danes, Rupert Everett, Tom Wilkinson, Ben Chaplin, Tom Hollander, Richard Griffiths and Edward Fox. Set in the 1660's at a time when in live theatre women's roles were played by men, Edward 'Ned' Kynaston (Crudup) is England's most celebrated leading lady, using his beauty and skill to make the great female roles his own. But when Charles II is tired of seeing the same old performers, the ruler allows real women to tread the boards and men may no longer play women's parts. Ned becomes a virtual nobody, virtually overnight and seems headed for suicide till his ex-dresser turned actress Maria (Danes) takes it upon herself to make a man of him again. Shooting takes place at the Royal Naval College at Greenwich, whilst two theatres will be built at Shepperton Studios where filming continues through till August 22nd.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

ProgWRX

I havent seen Crudup in enough roles to gauge how much he can re-invent himself...  :?  Specially vs. someone like Gary Oldman!
-Carlos

chainsmoking insomniac

"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"

Alexandro

There are a bunch of actors with this easiness to transform...

Ben Kingsley
De Niro back in the day
Phillip Seymour Hoffman
Edward Norton

chainsmoking insomniac

Phillip Seymour Hoffman definitely
Johnny Depp
Kevin Spacey

to name just a few.
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

bonanzataz

Quote from: AlexandroThere are a bunch of actors with this easiness to transform...

Ben Kingsley
De Niro back in the day
Phillip Seymour Hoffman
Edward Norton

i think de niro can still do it today, he just doesn't choose good roles to exercise this. just take a look at what he did with meet the parents. that was great.

i disagree with ed norton. i think he does the same thing every time only he (unlike de niro) chooses completely different roles. he always plays it the same way even if the characters are different. i don't really care too much for people referring to him as "the great" ed norton. i don't see anything THAT great about him. he's never done anything that really made me go "wow!" he's not bad, just not the best actor ever like some people say.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

rustinglass

steve buscemi
daniel day lewis
adrien brody (I've oly seen him in the pianist and summer of sam, but that is a big enough transformation for me)
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

jokerspath

Quote from: rustinglassadrien brody (I've oly seen him in the pianist and summer of sam, but that is a big enough transformation for me)

You weren't lucky enough to see him whimper for the camera once or twice for about twenty seconds in Mallick's three hour "Thin Red Line"?

aw
THIS IS NOT AN EXIT

Pubrick

under the paving stones.

Alexandro

Quote from: bonanzataz
Quote from: AlexandroThere are a bunch of actors with this easiness to transform...

Ben Kingsley
De Niro back in the day
Phillip Seymour Hoffman
Edward Norton

i think de niro can still do it today, he just doesn't choose good roles to exercise this. just take a look at what he did with meet the parents. that was great.

i disagree with ed norton. i think he does the same thing every time only he (unlike de niro) chooses completely different roles. he always plays it the same way even if the characters are different. i don't really care too much for people referring to him as "the great" ed norton. i don't see anything THAT great about him. he's never done anything that really made me go "wow!" he's not bad, just not the best actor ever like some people say.

De Niro is my favorite actor and I don't think, as a lot of people do, that he has gave a single bad performance in the last years...I liked him a lot in Wag The Dog, Jackie Brown, Flawless, Analyze This and Meet the Parents...and I feel his performance in City by the Sea was kind of underrated...but back in the day he was definetely pushing his own envelope, you know: Mean Streets, Godfather 2, Taxi Driver, Bang the drum slowly, raging bull, brazil, once upon a time in america, awakenings...

Ed Norton is great. I haven't seen 25th hour but the chamaleonic aptitudes he showed on Primal Fear, The People vs. Larry Flynt, American History X and Fight Club was awesome...

I forgot to mention one of the kins, of course, MR. DANIEL DAY LEWIS, will you look at this roles...My left foot, th unbereable lightness  of being, in the name of the father, age of innocence, the boxer, gangs...

And Anthony Hopkins,m when he wants to, can be simply the best actor in the world, just compare Shadowlands, The Remains of the Day, Silence of the Lambs, nixon and Titus...

chainsmoking insomniac

Anthony Hopkins kicks ass! I haven't seen him in Titus yet though.  It's interesting how you described Norton's chameleonic ability (sp?)...IMO I don't think he has much range.  I liked hiim in American History X, and when compared to his role in Fight Club, I suppose he does possess some versatility....

sorry, just thinking "aloud".... :-D
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

rustinglass

Quote from: jokerspath
Quote from: rustinglassadrien brody (I've oly seen him in the pianist and summer of sam, but that is a big enough transformation for me)

You weren't lucky enough to see him whimper for the camera once or twice for about twenty seconds in Mallick's three hour "Thin Red Line"?

aw
Oh yeah, I forgot that one, that's a very cool film.
Does he have a line in that, I can't remember...

I hear Harrison's flowers is awesome, didn't have time to see it though.
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica