Woody Allen as Dr. William Harford?

Started by ElPandaRoyal, September 22, 2003, 07:25:22 AM

ElPandaRoyal

I think I read this a while back. Maybe it was Kubrick's wife who said it (I'm really not sure). Woody Allen was considered to play the role that eventually went to Tom Cruise in Eyes Wide Shut. He would have played a Jewish doctor. Did anyone else ever hear about this or did I just dream about it? Anyway, it's hard for me to think about Woody Allen doing this, but who knows, maybe he would have done a great job...
Si

ElPandaRoyal

Damn..... I'm starting to get worried.... did I dream it? Geeez  :?
Si

Cecil

probably. uh... hmm

trying not to laugh, here

ElPandaRoyal

LOL
Well, I'm stil hoping that someone will come along and back me up on this. However I did go to the trivia section of the film at IMDB and there is absoltutely nothing regarding this.
Si

AK

In Traumnovelle ,the character  is Jew (and as I read, be jew is one strong factor in all the book history) but i also read that Kubrick told the screenwriter to take it of all the jew part for the script and Kubrick always had in mind Harrison Ford to play the role.

ElPandaRoyal

starting to make some sense now... hehe
Si

Alethia

i heard he wanted woody allen to do the sydney pollack role, originally.

AK

Quote from: ewardi heard he wanted woody allen to do the sydney pollack role, originally.

And i read Harvey Keitel was going  to be...in fact he dropped after wait too much for the production to start

mutinyco

Harvey Keitel was supposed to be Zeigler, but dropped out cause the production was taking too long. Jennifer Jason Lee ws supposed to be Marie, but was replaced during reshoots because she wasn't available.

Kubrick originally wanted Steve Martin to play Doctor Bill.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

Fernando

Quote from: RoyalTenenbaumLOL
Well, I'm stil hoping that someone will come along and back me up on this. However I did go to the trivia section of the film at IMDB and there is absoltutely nothing regarding this.

http://www.imdb.com/WN?20000529#4

From IMDB.

Could Woody Allen Have Replaced Tom Cruise?

STANLEY KUBRICK considered WOODY ALLEN for the main role in his final film Eyes Wide Shut (1999). The legendary NEW YORK director was thought of by Kubrick as one possible candidate for the role that TOM CRUISE went on to play in the film. Allen says, "He (Stanley Kubrick) never called me. Maybe in conversation he thought it was a good idea, but came to his senses somewhere along the line."

ElPandaRoyal

Yeyyyyy...... I'm not crazy after all. I knew I had read it somewhere.

Quote"He (Stanley Kubrick) never called me. Maybe in conversation he thought it was a good idea, but came to his senses somewhere along the line."

LOL. A very Woody Allen-ish answer.
Si

Fernando

Quote from: AKIn Traumnovelle ,the character  is Jew (and as I read, be jew is one strong factor in all the book history) but i also read that Kubrick told the screenwriter to take it of all the jew part for the script and Kubrick always had in mind Harrison Ford to play the role.

I don't remember ever reading that he had Ford in mind, I do however remember that he made up the name of Dr. Harford with Harrison Ford's name. Do you remember where you read about this?

He indeed had thought at some point of Steve Martin as the good Doctor, also had in mind Woody Allen, then before having Tom and Nicole he thought of Alec Baldwin and Kim Basinger but I think the studio executives wanted more star power in the film so he asked Sidney Pollack about Cruise's behavior on set, after telling him that TC was a professional well... the rest is history.

Cecil

royal, consider my foot to be inserted in my mouth right about.. glnowpfhh

AK

Quote from: FernandoDo you remember where you read about this?

I just got in my hands the magazine: (portuguese version) of PREMIERE september/99.

And I  can accept the idea of Woody Allen as Harford but Baldwin/ Bassinger? i don't think so...