Anyone seen any good shows lately?

Started by smash, September 21, 2004, 12:48:39 AM

Pedro

Well, they're still the best live band in America, stronger as performers now than they've ever been.

samsong

in short, the best show ever.  feist made a guest appearance for "you and i".  i want to have sex with nels cline's guitar playing.  wilco were so good that at one point i forgot that okkervil river--they were really good--opened for them.  any reservations i had about the newer wilco material (to be fair i've only just started listening to their last three albums) were obliterated tonight. 

modage

nah.  this lineup does nothing for me.  preferred the 4 piece YHF version.  i've seen them 7 or 8 times, but i don't think i will ever see them again at this point.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

RegularKarate

Quote from: modage on June 26, 2009, 09:36:47 AM
nah.  this lineup does nothing for me.  preferred the 4 piece YHF version.  i've seen them 7 or 8 times, but i don't think i will ever see them again at this point.

You're always fed up with everything.  It's funny.  Never change.

Wilco are so amazing live they make the bad album sound great.

modage

haha, that's not true!  PTA never lets me down.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

Quote from: modage on June 19, 2009, 12:53:33 AM
go see Phoenix.  if you can.

Well, shit. They are playing with Metric at The Greek in September. Hmmmm...
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

SiliasRuby

I saw third eye blind at the hollywood palladium last night and was sooooo happy. It was the first time I saw them since 1997. The did an MJ song and really rocked the house. They did all of my favorites and I guess they recorded the performance for a live album. Just a rush and a phenomenal night.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

polkablues

Wow, I just sort of assumed that Third Eye Blind were all dead by now.  Or maybe that was just a wonderful dream I had...
My house, my rules, my coffee

Stefen

3rd eye blind are living past 50. food for them.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

SiliasRuby

Quote from: polkablues on June 27, 2009, 02:09:43 AM
Wow, I just sort of assumed that Third Eye Blind were all dead by now.  Or maybe that was just a wonderful dream I had...
Oh screw you!
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

polkablues

Sorry, I've never forgiven them for the brown note at the end of the chorus in "Semi-Charmed Life". 

RegularKarate

Last night I saw Bill Callahan at the Parish.  Holy shit! 

I've seen him a few times and it's always been good, but this was absolutely amazing.  It should have been a disaster... it was really hot so he kept asking if they could lower the lights and for some reason the light go crazy when that happens and they turn on and off at random.  There was also a drunk d-bag next to us screaming things out and flailing around during even the slow songs.  Those things didn't really end up mattering though.

I hope he keeps touring with strings.  I think he was so into them that he just put more into what he was giving.

The set list was so great that I wanted him to play a song I didn't like just so I could go to the bathroom.

john

Two incredible Jon Brion performances in the Bay Area last weekend.

The first opening for Of Montreal. Some rock solid originals, sprinkled with some mighty fine covers of Billie Holiday, My Bloody Valentine, The Beatles, Screamin' Jay Hawkins, and Daft Punk.

The next night at Cafe Du Nord... further affirmation that, as many times as I see him, he still comes up with ways to amaze and move me. Covers of Cole Porter, Roxy Music, Emitt Rhodes, and Brian Eno.... along with some exceptionally chosen originals.

His sets now include a video projector and a host of video clips that he layers, loops, and manipulates live while scoring. He played an old Felix The Cat cartoon, scored it and merged that score into an almost ragtime version of Lithium.

Finished with a epic and devastatingly beautiful cover of Voices, by Cheap Trick, accompanied by old footage and sounds of a theramin being played and a mariachi band playing a song about longing and loss of a former lover who was far away.

My girlfriend captured a couple videos throughout the night... something I can never bring myself to do during a show, but appreciate watching when someone else can. I'll post 'em when she posts 'em.

All you LA folks who haven't been to see him, or haven't seen him in a while, should find your way out to Largo at the Coronet and see what he's up to nowadays.

Maybe every day is Saturday morning.

polkablues

Saw the Decemberists week before last at Marymoor Park, outside Seattle.  Great venue, fantastic show.  Andrew Bird opened, along with a band called Blind Pilot, of whom I was not familiar.

The Decemberists played the entire Hazards of Love album (which is positively epic live), walked off stage for ten minutes, then as half the crowd is filing out, Colin Meloy comes back on stage and goes, "So... we're gonna play a bunch more songs."  And then they played for another hour or so.  Great rapport with the crowd, they played songs other than the obvious ones you would expect, and they threw in a badass cover of Heart's "Crazy on You" with the two female singers from Hazards of Love.  Good times.

Stefen

Where all the Chicago peeps? Walrus, you're in Chi-town, right?

I need a favor, guys.

A supergroup has formed and they're playing a secret midnight gig at the Metro on Sunday August 9th.

PLEASE GO AND REPORT BACK.

https://www.etix.com/ticket/servlet/onlineSale%3bjsessionid=2DCF3D7CF8DD8FC972C8E217BA654C0C?action=selectPerformance&cobrand=blackandwhite&performance_id=1056827
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.