Favorite Camp Film

Started by Dottie_Hinkle, May 13, 2004, 06:26:32 AM

Thrindle

I am laughing so hard at myself.  It's camp, not camp.

I can be so blonde....
Classic.

MacGuffin

Camp classics:

Camp classic:

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

godardian

Anyone interested should read "Notes on 'Camp'" from:

A movie doesn't HAVE to be bad to qualify as 'camp,' but many bad movies work better as camp than they do as "themselves." There is plenty of camp in Tarantino, de Palma, Sam Fuller... anything overstuffed, overheated, exaggerated to the point of absurdity. There is, by the same token, plenty of camp in Titanic.

Female Trouble is great, great, great. John Waters's best movie. 8 Women is sort of camp, so far as intentional camp counts.

Sontag claims camp only works when something is other than it intends to be. I don't know that I entirely agree with that. But when someone says "camp movie," these are the ones that come to mind:

""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

SHAFTR

"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

soixante

According to the dictionary, camp is something so outrageously artificial, affected, inappropriate or out-of-date as to be considered amusing.

By that definition, Mommie Dearest imminently qualifies.  It was originally released as a straight, dramatic film, but the reviews were so bad that Paramount re-released it as a camp film, hoping it could be the next Rocky Horror.

Island of Dr. Moureau, with Brando camping it up, is a camp classic (and it also features Val Kilmer aping Brando, adding another layer of weirdness).

For me, Raquel Welch and Mae West epitomize camp.  Put them together, and you have Camp with a capital C.  In Myra Breckinridge, they did work together, and the end result speaks for itseld.  Mae West appeared in Sextette, a truly campy film.  I am fond of The Wild Party, with Racquel Welch singing and dancing in a story loosely (very loosely) based on the Fatty Arbuckle scandal.  The film also features Perry King and James Coco, and was directed by James Ivory (his only camp film).  It just so happens that Myra and Wild Party are both out on DVD now.
Music is your best entertainment value.

Alethia

the cheerleaders, revenge of the cheerleaders, and the swinging cheerleaders

don't go in the house

horror hotel

El Duderino

Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

bonanzataz

Quote from: godardianFemale Trouble is great, great, great. John Waters's best movie.

that's a pretty bold statement. while i love female trouble as much as i do, i definitely don't think it's his best. it kind of loses its edge once divine's face gets mangled. i prefer pink flamingos (though i could do without the chicken fucking scene, the singing asshole scene, and the mother-son blowjob scene).

Quote from: godardianmommie dearest
whatever happened to baby jane

beautiful choices. i will add to the list...

david lynch has his campy moments (those are my favorite parts of his movies). especially in...
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Jeremy Blackman

Two obvious ones:

And who decided this is a picture thread?

bonanzataz

hedwig has its campy MOMENTS, but, like wild at heart, i wouldn't exactly classify it as a camp film.

how about this one? this is one of my favorites...

The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

modage

Quote from: OnomatopitaSome of you don't seem to know what "camp" means.

When I hear "camp," 8 Women comes to mind.
he said 'camp'.  i believe you're thinking of 'crap'.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: bonanzataz
david lynch has his campy moments (those are my favorite parts of his movies)

..yeah taz..i agree..wild at heart is pure camp...and twin peaks (tv) series falls into this also....

everything said in this scene in wild at heart is brilliant(pure camp)..

ono

Quote from: themodernage02
Quote from: OnomatopitaSome of you don't seem to know what "camp" means.

When I hear "camp," 8 Women comes to mind.
he said 'camp'.  i believe you're thinking of 'crap'.
I would be, except for the fact that 8 Women is a great movie.  Now, Swimming Pool, OTOH, yes, I do believe that would be crap.  :-D

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: OnomatopitaOTOH
That's unnecessary, IMHO.

context, context, context.