weirdest movies ever

Started by Jeremy Blackman, January 13, 2003, 03:24:36 PM

Jeremy Blackman

Please... I want to know the strangest movies you have ever seen.. I seek weirdness.. the more obscure the better..

some obvious stuff to just get out of the way:

8 1/2, Brazil, Lost Highway (or anything Lynch), I Am Cuba, The Sea That Thinks, etc etc.

MacGuffin

Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanLost Highway (or anything Lynch).

"Eraserhead" tops all of his.

Try "Ravenous" (based in part on The Donner Party).
"Suture"
"Naked Lunch"
"Seconds"
"Orlando"
Derek Jarman's "Edward II"
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Cecil

are you familiar with gregg araki? ive just seen "nowhere" and its great

MacGuffin

Quote from: cecil b. dementedare you familiar with gregg araki? ive just seen "nowhere" and its great

Thanks for the reminder, cecil. You want strange Jeremy - "The Doom Generation."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

RegularKarate

Gregg Araki is pure garbage... does he still make films?

it's the worst of the Tarintino wanna-be genre.  So disgusting.

(though it does feature Rose McGowan in the tub)

Cecil

Quote from: RegularKarateGregg Araki is pure garbage... does he still make films?

it's the worst of the Tarintino wanna-be genre.  So disgusting.

(though it does feature Rose McGowan in the tub)

have you only seen doom generation? you should give another one of his films a try. i felt the same way after i saw doom generation. it eventually grew on me. then i saw splendor and nowhere. like i said, nowhere is great.

Travis Bickle

now i gotta check out this guy's stuff.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: MacGuffin"Eraserhead" tops all of his.

Never seen that, but I really really want to. Kind of waiting for a DVD. Is it hopeless?

sphinx

the last i heard, lynch was moving the production to another company because the dvd was no good...we still will get one, though

Gold Trumpet

The work by this man has been obviously outside of all mainstream and is said to be very different and obscure, so much to the point I don't think he really is represented on vhs at all and this release will be his first and likely only dvd release ever. I am curious though to check it out:
http://www.criterionco.com/asp/release.asp?id=184

~rougerum

RegularKarate

Yeah, that does look interesting.  Thanks for the link GT

MacGuffin

Quote from: sphinxthe last i heard, lynch was moving the production to another company because the dvd was no good...we still will get one, though

From the man himself off his website:

"DAVIDLYNCH [7:18 PM PST]: I HAVE VERY BAD NEWS ABOUT ERASERHEAD -- WE HAVE HAD NO LUCK GETTING A GOOD CHECK DISC AND ARE NOW MOVING TO A NEW COMPANY -- ERASERHEAD WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE (?) FOR CHRISTMAS [2002] .... THIS IS VERY BAD BECAUSE IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN AND I AM PRETTY SICK ABOUT IT."

No word yet on a new timeframe, but if they are starting over with a brand new authoring company, I wouldn't expect to see anything till second quarter of 2003 at the earliest.

Skeleton FilmWorks

budgie

Is it going to have juicy extras? My Region 2 has nothing cept a trailer. But then, at least I have the movie. JB, I'm aching for a discussion with you, 'cause if Eraserhead ain't Freudian, nothing is.

Guffy, what's so weird about Edward II? If anything I think it's his most accessible (with Caravaggio). If you want Jarman unorthodox, The Garden, Last of England, Jubilee and Blue are much less conventional. And War Requiem is well worth seeing. If you haven't seen it, you might hate his version of The Tempest with a passion, Jeremy... but anyhow maybe Jarman doesn't really fit into your idea of weird, which seems to be more 'surreal'?

Jan Svankmajer? His Alice is creepy. Little Otik is the only other one I've seen (I think), and that might get you, although personally I didn't think it was half weird enough, but then my strangeness palate is a little jaded.

Peter Greenaway?

I suppose you've seen La Belle et la Bete and Orphee?

Pwaybloe

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetThe work by this man has been obviously outside of all mainstream and is said to be very different and obscure, so much to the point I don't think he really is represented on vhs at all and this release will be his first and likely only dvd release ever. I am curious though to check it out:
http://www.criterionco.com/asp/release.asp?id=184

~rougerum

Great pick, GT.  There is a funny story I read about Brakhage and the creators of South Park a while back.  In actuality, Brakhage taught at Colorado when Matt Stone and Trey Parker were taking film classes.  They mention that Brakhage is briefly in their "Cannibal: The Musical," which I've never seen.  

Here's a link from a website I visit often that has a little bit of info on him: http://www.subcin.com/brakhage.htm