Bewitched

Started by Finn, April 26, 2004, 03:10:24 PM

hedwig

Nicole Kidman has a tendency to act dramatic in comedies, i.e. Stepford Wives remake--bet you she does it here, too.

modage

i feel bad for this movie.  i like nicole kidman and i like will ferrell and i like the tv show bewitched and yet....
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

matt35mm

Quote from: themodernage02i feel bad for this movie.  i like nicole kidman and i like will ferrell and i like the tv show bewitched and yet....
Well if you don't like Nora Ephron, then that's enough reason.  Although I don't believe that a director AUTHORS the movie, she certainly has more sway over its content and style more than anyone, especially as a writer/director.

So feel completely comfortable about feeling that the movie looks icky.  You can blame Nora.

Unless you like Nora.  In which case you have no one to blame but yourself.

MacGuffin

Quote from: HedwigNicole Kidman has a tendency to act dramatic in comedies, i.e. Stepford Wives remake--bet you she does it here, too.

It works in To Die For.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

hedwig

Quote from: MacGuffin
Quote from: HedwigNicole Kidman has a tendency to act dramatic in comedies, i.e. Stepford Wives remake--bet you she does it here, too.

It works in To Die For.

Interesting. Never seen it. But now I will.

Truth is, I really like Nicole Kidman a lot.

Stefen

Quote from: MacGuffin

It works in To Die For.

This movie doesn't get mentioned enough. But I don't think her performance is comedic, it's tragic to me. Nothing about her in that movie makes me laugh or even chuckle. She plays it more like she doesn't know whats going on and is living in her own fantasy world where she will do anything to get to the top, and it' definetely tragic, considering what eventually takes place.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Ravi

Quote from: Weak2ndActUm... so let me get this straight... Will Ferrell plays a movie star who's doing a new Bewitched, and then Nicole Kidman is an actual witch who gets cast as the witch and has the same nose-wiggling abilities?  

WHAT THE FUCK.

Sounds more like Shadow of the Vampire.

Finn

29% on the tomato meter, not very promising. Nicole Kidman should really stay away from these comedy remakes. First "Stepford Wives" now this.
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

Myxo

Kal

It will make more money than Herbie and most other films this year anyway... that was the whole point of the remake for them

Myxo

Quote from: andy gekkoIt will make more money than Herbie and most other films this year anyway... that was the whole point of the remake for them

..if it breaks $100 million domestically I'll be surprised.

cowboykurtis

on the topic of ephron: who's seen the misreable 80s nichol's film HEARTBURN?
...your excuses are your own...

Finn

Quote from: flagpolespecialthis is a nora ephron film? i'm so there!!

but seriously you've got mail and when harry met sally are really reallly wonderful.

Yeah it's Nora Ephron but it's the side of her you've never seen before and that's very bad. I didn't see hardly any of her usual good work here like I saw with "Sleepless and Seattle", "You've Got Mail" and "When Harry Met Sally". And as appealing as the two leads are (and Nicole Kidman is usually great) the movie doesn't work at all. Ephron was totally unfocused and had no clear vision of exactly what she wanted to do with this film. It has a few funny parts but mostly it's just all over the place.
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

Kal

Quote from: Myxomatosis
Quote from: andy gekkoIt will make more money than Herbie and most other films this year anyway... that was the whole point of the remake for them

me too. I dont think it will make more than 60-70, but it will still make money for the studio. Between international theatrical, advertsing, DVD sales/rental, and the sales of the original series in DVD being promoted and boosted by the movie, it makes a lot of sense.

cowboykurtis

Quote from: andy gekko
Quote from: Myxomatosis

me too. I dont think it will make more than 60-70, but it will still make money for the studio. Between international theatrical, advertsing...

how does a movie MAKE money on advertising?
...your excuses are your own...