Being Flynn

Started by Alexandro, October 02, 2012, 11:05:08 PM

Alexandro

http://youtu.be/NHZfQDgkqiM

Ok, couldn't find a thread.

Had to say something about this film because it has without a doubt the worst title change in history. They went from "Another Bullshit Night in Suck City" to "Being Flyyn". You couldn't make up a more boring title.

The film itself I found mostly irregular, but it has a great De Niro performance. Actually that's it's biggest blessing and problem. His performance is so effective he manages to steal the show and make Paul Dano's storyline boring, despite being the main character. You just start wishing to get him back on screen any time Dano is there.

I don't think there's an easy way out in this role, and De Niro takes the chance and comes out clean. This character is one major pain in the ass, hard to like, hard to feel sorry for him...and he never goes soft on us with him. Neither the film. One of the things I did like of Weitz direction was the subtle way it portrayed the gradual degradation in how a person goes from just being really short on cash to homeless.

BIG SPOILER

Despite many problems I had with the film, the scene that convinced me it was more than worthwhile is the last one in which De Niro meets his grandchild. The way he looks at him is devastating. Not a word is spoken, but you sense the irrational hate. Did anyone else got that feeling?

Reel

Quote from: Alexandro on October 02, 2012, 11:05:08 PM
Had to say something about this film because it has without a doubt the worst title change in history. They went from "Another Bullshit Night in Suck City" to "Being Flyyn". You couldn't make up a more boring title.

Yeah, unless this is the Walter Jr. story, WORST TITLE EVER!!!

hah, that's all I got. Made it about 75% of the way in and haven't collected my thoughts yet, but it wasn't awful.