Secret Window

Started by MacGuffin, January 13, 2004, 03:22:15 PM

BonBon85

I saw it last night and I don't recommend it. Sometimes it was mildly entertaining in a "this is so bad why did these actors agree to it" kind of way. It was predictable, and there was so much build up and hype for the ending, but the ending is really terrible.

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: BonBon85I saw it last night and I don't recommend it. Sometimes it was mildly entertaining in a "this is so bad why did these actors agree to it" kind of way. It was predictable, and there was so much build up and hype for the ending, but the ending is really terrible.

That confirms my suspicions: it is The Ninth Gate Redux.

modage

Quote from: hacksparrow
Quote from: BonBon85I saw it last night and I don't recommend it. Sometimes it was mildly entertaining in a "this is so bad why did these actors agree to it" kind of way. It was predictable, and there was so much build up and hype for the ending, but the ending is really terrible.

That confirms my suspicions: it is The Ninth Gate Redux.
hah, yeah.  would you think me wicked if i said i actually enjoyed the ninth gate?  which was sort of a rosemarys baby: redux (without the baby, but with all the creepy suspicious people and unsettling tone).  let this be a lesson to all those who expect a good movie before april; they are few and far between.  a rare bird, an endangered species...
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

billybrown

I just caught an advanced screening of this on Monday and overall, I had to say I enjoyed it very much. Having not read the Stephen King story it was based on, the trailer / tv spots lead me to believe it was an intense psychological horror / drama type vehicle, and while it did have some moments of that, on the whole it was very much the black comedy, and on that level, it worked quite well. With Pirates, Once Upon A Time In Mexico, and now this, you can clearly see Johnny Depp having lots of fun with his roles and amusing himself, and it's quite a treat watching him work like this.

Banky

my criticism would give away the ending of this movie so......................

artfag

*ALTHOUGH THE ADMIN EDITING THIS POST HASN'T SEEN IT YET, HE READ THIS REVIEW AND IS ASSUMING IT IS A SPOILER AND IS PRETTY PISSED ABOUT NOW KNOWING THE 'SECRET' OF THE FILM.*

Hey, I have a great idea.  Let's make a movie like no other.  Let's have the main character have a multiple personality.  Oh wait, a hundred other f*cking people already did that!!!!!  What a piece of crap.

billybrown

Quote from: Pictures are Pals *ALTHOUGH THE ADMIN EDITING THIS POST HASN'T SEEN IT YET, HE READ THIS REVIEW AND IS ASSUMING IT IS A SPOILER AND IS PRETTY PISSED ABOUT NOW KNOWING THE 'SECRET' OF THE FILM.*

Hey, I have a great idea.  Let's make a movie like no other.  Let's have the main character have a multiple personality.  Oh wait, a hundred other f*cking people already did that!!!!!  What a piece of crap.

You are brilliant. And witty too. I don't know what was more dickhead on your part, the movie spoiler or your weak and amateur sarcasm. Somebody stick Mush in the bathroom.

artfag

*SPOILERS....ONCE AGAIN*

New to the forum, apologies for the spoiler thing, but you have to admit, after seeing movies like Primal Fear and later Identity, the days of the multiple personality should end.  My sarcasm in this matter is heartfelt.  I really think the film was both predictable and typical.  

I do think that Johnny Depp was very funny in this film, but didn't perform well enought to carry the film on his shoulders as some actors do.  I respect your opinion on this film, but do not and will not agree with it.  From now, I will not post spoilers without marking them accordingly.  Sorry again.

MacGuffin

Okay, seriously...getting pretty pissed off. It doesn't matter to me now, the movie and any suspense or surprise is ruined for me, but, in the future, for the benefit of others not wanting to know anything about the film going in (and this really goes for any film, new or old, noted), everytime you mention a twist or what the concept of the movie is or the ending, please please please put a SPOILER warning above before your post/review/opinion. Thank you.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

bonanzataz

i'm glad it was ruined. i would've hated to sit through that.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

billybrown

Quote from: Pictures are Pals*SPOILERS....ONCE AGAIN*

New to the forum, apologies for the spoiler thing, but you have to admit, after seeing movies like Primal Fear and later Identity, the days of the multiple personality should end.  My sarcasm in this matter is heartfelt.  I really think the film was both predictable and typical.  

I do think that Johnny Depp was very funny in this film, but didn't perform well enought to carry the film on his shoulders as some actors do.  I respect your opinion on this film, but do not and will not agree with it.  From now, I will not post spoilers without marking them accordingly.  Sorry again.

Your opinion of the film really isn't the point of contention here, as that was an opinion and we are all entitled to one. The numb nut play on your part was the ruining of the film for others who may want to see it, by your sarcasm of the genre in general. You don't need to be a veteran of a message board to figure out that giving away pertinent details of a film that most people haven't seen is just a classless stunt. And besides, every genre of film has been done and killed by Hollywood, so really, who cares? If originality was a pre-requisite for a film being released, we'd see about five a year. By no means was I saying this was a brilliant film, but IMO Johnny Depp's performance is well worth the price of admission, and in that regard I would recommend it as some fun, mindless entertainment. Ah well, cest la vie.

Chest Rockwell

I just saw this yesterday, and I kinda liked it. Sure it won't be a classic or anything, but it gave me some cheap thrills and good laughs. About all I really expected from it.

Finn

I really didn't like this movie at all. It's wildly uneven with too much silliness to be considered scary or...thrilling. Plus, the ending made no sense at all.
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

billybrown

Quote from: QuoyleI really didn't like this movie at all. It's wildly uneven with too much silliness to be considered scary or...thrilling. Plus, the ending made no sense at all.

I think if you watch the film in it's proper context - a black comedy - it's just fine.

modage

haha, johnny depp turns every movie into a black comedy.  he needs to quit being so goddamn funny!
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.