The Straight Story

Started by modage, January 18, 2004, 11:20:53 PM

modage

hardly a mention of this oddity in the lynch catalog, so here's a topic.  i just watched it for the first time and found it entertaining but not something i would want to re-watch often.  farnsworth was so natural and believable in the part during his talk with the other WWII veteran i could hardly believe he was 'acting' and not ACTUALLY this guy.  the ending was nice too.  since joining this board, Lynch was the director i needed the most catching up on so i've been moving through his flicks with only (Dune and Fire Walk With Me next, as well as ANY of Twin Peaks).  since a lot of you are lynch-heads, how do you feel about this film?  if i had been a few years older and more into lynch when a few years ago and you had told me that after Lost Highway he was making a G rated movie for Disney i would've NEVER BELIEVED YOU.  and yet, here it is.  a true oddity for Lynch.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Alethia

a true oddity but shows he can disguise himself and also tell "straight" stories and not just lynch stories -- it shows his range and what a truly good filmmaker he is......tho it does have a few subtle lynch touches to it

Ghostboy

I think this film and Eraserhead are directly related to each other...cousins, or even (more appropriately) brothers, in the family of Lynchian films. Unfortunately, I'm slightly tipsy at the moment and will refrain from expounding further upon this topic until a later (sober) time.

SHAFTR

I went to a 3 session seminar by Mary Sweeney and I have to say that The Straight Story is her movie, not Lynch's.

She wrote, produced and edited the film.  It took a lot of convincing for her to get him to direct the film.

With that said, this is probably, next to Mulholland Dr, m yfavorite Lynch film simply because it has heart.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Pubrick

Quote from: SHAFTRShe wrote, produced and edited the film.  It took a lot of convincing for her to get him to direct the film.
why didn't she just direct the damn thing herself?
under the paving stones.

mogwai

Quote from: Pwhy didn't she just direct the damn thing herself?
i'm thinking of something witty to say. :(

Fernando

Saw it at the theater and it was my first Lynch film (I already knew about him, but couldn't find any of his old films until much later), I swear that from the first frame when the camera is moving from the roof (IIRC) to the garden or so, I immediately thought what a great director he is.
Anyway I enjoyed it thoroughly, really beautifully shot, agree 100% with you about Farnsworth, he was that guy.

Quote from: P
Quote from: SHAFTRShe wrote, produced and edited the film.  It took a lot of convincing for her to get him to direct the film.

Exactly.

SHAFTR

Quote from: Fernando

Exactly.

Because she wanted him to direct it.  She is the one who got the project started, wrote it, got everyone involved and finally edited it.  She gives much credit to Lynch, but I am just saying that it's more her own picture than his.

Fernando

Quote from: SHAFTR

Exactly.

Because she wanted him to direct it.  She is the one who got the project started, wrote it, got everyone involved and finally edited it.  She gives much credit to Lynch, but I am just saying that it's more her own picture than his.

Quote from: SHAFTR
I went to a 3 session seminar by Mary Sweeney and I have to say that The Straight Story is her movie, not Lynch's

Your first comment looked like you were diminishing Lynch's vision of the film, even if he 'only' directed it, still I'm sure he had to make a lot of decisions along the way (during the shoot).

How was that seminar btw? I bet it was great.

SHAFTR

How was that seminar btw? I bet it was great.

It was pretty good, interesting.  Nothing groundbreaking although I do have copies of some of the pages of the production notebooks for Mulholland Dr & Straight Story.  I think she is going to be here for one of my classes again this spring.

NEON MERCURY

....this film is groovy.....even if this wasnn't lynnch project the full 100%...he still directed this and therefore he had his creative lynchian innput inntoi the is film and its evident by the fact that the film itself is pure gennius (which is what annyone would expect going into a lynch directed film0...and the odd camera movements.......(the beginnign)...the trademark oddball characterss..the(deer lady)........the music .....and lok of the film overall is so "neat"......and the ennding could have been cheesed out.....but lynch ends it perfect.IMO........and lastly.....my ffavorite scene is the part when its rsaining and he pulls off the road and unnder the shed...and lights up one of the swishers..and just sits there......beautiful.....lynnnch captured that just right...everyone has sheltered themselves from the rainn.......and sometimes when you do you look out at the rain and the overcast....and it just makes you think ...and sometoimes can give you the chills.......

©brad

Quote from: mogwai
Quote from: Pwhy didn't she just direct the damn thing herself?
i'm thinking of something witty to say. :(

u should have said:

"pfft... women can't direct!"

freakerdude

I really liked it since it deviated from his norm. And Angelo Badalamenti's original music was still Lynch-esque for this film......like the eerie background hum that I noticed right away in certain parts.
MC Pee Pants

life_boy

This is actually one of my favorite Lynch films (although I would by no means call myself a Lynch-head).  Farnsworth's performance is just so genuine and moving (and genuinely moving???).  I also really liked the slow-pacing of the film.  

It's just a great film, I'd say.

Jeremy Blackman

Is it wrong that I thought this movie was hilarious?