So many "real" actors how?

Started by prophet, July 21, 2003, 02:02:57 AM

prophet

Cigarettes & Coffee - Miguel Ferrer,Kirk Baltz,Scott Coffey

did he get them through the Sundance institute?
We gonna do a little Q&A Mr. Worley, and at the risk of sounding redundant please... make your answers Genuine...

markums2k

There's actually a Miguel Ferrer mail-order kit.  No actual tools required for assembly.

prophet

We gonna do a little Q&A Mr. Worley, and at the risk of sounding redundant please... make your answers Genuine...

Pubrick

under the paving stones.

prophet

ok no point in me posting here anymore.

chainsmoking insomniac

Quote from: prophetok no point in me posting here anymore.

Prophet, ignore P.  He eats, sleeps, and breathes confrontation.
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

SoNowThen

Quote from: prophetCigarettes & Coffee - Miguel Ferrer,Kirk Baltz,Scott Coffey

Yeah, I've always wondered how he got all these actors. But it couldn't have been at Sundance, because didn't he get into Sundance as a result of this short?
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

markums2k

I don't know how PTA did it.  Maybe he said somewhere and I forgot...

Build it, and they will come.  At least, that's how it's supposed to work.  Putting together a project that attracts big-name talent, that's what's expected of the writer, and/or the producer, etc.

It's much easier to get 'stars' involved if you are friends with them, so you may have to network.  Just get the word out.  Be in the right place at the right time.  Have something fresh and worth-while... i.e. I don't think anybody is on the look-out for another Chasing Amy rip-off.  It's just soooo 1990s.

Or, you might have to make some stars of your own.  I'm sure there's plenty of local talent dying for an opportunity you might be able to offer.  If you want to maintain any sort of creative control over your project, you'll want to stick with local talent.

If you bring in Tom Cruise, and he doesn't like you or wants to take a different direction, he might kick you out of the deal and completely re-work the thing from scratch.

There's some really great books out there that deal with this stuff much more thoroughly than a message board ever could.

chainsmoking insomniac

Quote from: SoNowThen
Quote from: prophetCigarettes & Coffee - Miguel Ferrer,Kirk Baltz,Scott Coffey

Yeah, I've always wondered how he got all these actors. But it couldn't have been at Sundance, because didn't he get into Sundance as a result of this short?

According to the Sydney commentary, he got accepted to Sundance based on the strength of C&C, and apparently he's allowed to choose actors he wants on the project...and luckily J.C and P.B.Hall agreed.
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"

chainsmoking insomniac

Quote from: mogwai
Quote from: Ghoulardi GoonProphet, ignore P.  He eats, sleeps, and breathes confrontation.
And you're just here breathing air.

Not quite.  :lol:
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

Duck Sauce

Quote from: Ghoulardi Goon
Quote from: mogwai
Quote from: Ghoulardi GoonProphet, ignore P.  He eats, sleeps, and breathes confrontation.
And you're just here breathing air.

Not quite.  :lol:

I dont pay attention for a few weeks and all of a sudden there is somebody with 700 posts ive never heard of (or punchdrunk23)  

(prepares for clever insults)

chainsmoking insomniac

--Morgan Freeman, Se7en

Jake_82

on the hard eight commentary, PTA says he met philip baker hall when he was a PA on a tv special with him in it, and that he approached him and told him "I'm going to make you a star" or something like that.
your reality is at the end of your dream

TheVoiceOfNick

He met PBH when he was a PA... but he had known Ferrer forever... Miguel's family and PTA's family were friends for a long time. Ferrer told PT that if he ever made a short, he would be in it to help his career.

Nick

Cecil

i prefer counterfeit actors myself. theyre cheaper, and if done right, look exactly like the real thing.