Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of The Sith

Started by modage, June 24, 2003, 06:14:37 PM

metroshane

Even first or second takes should be better.  It's like he didn't hand them their lines until about 5 minutes before action.
We live in an age that reads too much to be intelligent and thinks too much to be beautiful.

lamas

alright, pretty much everyone's already posted their reviews and thoughts, so let's get geeky up in hurrr:

anyone else disappointed with General Grievous?  he was supposed to be known as the greatest hand-to-hand fighter in the galaxy and killer of many Jedi.  this was really just glossed over.  his 4 lightsaber buzzsaw act was pretty slick but how the hell are we supposed to believe Obi-Wan managed to get in there to chop off two of his hands?  for those who questioned why he had the cough, I assume we're all to know that Mace had force-crushed his ribcage when Palpatine was abducted in the last Clone Wars cartoon episode.  

so who was Sifo-Dyas as mentioned in Ep. II?  when Obi-Wan reports on his findings on Kamino, Mace and Yoda look at each other like Sifo-Dyas was a bad secret that just got out or something.

so Qui-Gon Jinn wasn't involved in any of the shadiness behind Anakin's finding/birth?  i was definitely expecting a direct answer to this and the Sifo-Dyas question after watching Ep. II last weekend.  

is it to be implied that Darth Plagueis was Palpatine's master and that Anakin was "created" by one of them?  which one?

Ultrahip

I think we're meant to understand that Darth Plagueis (great name) slipped Anakin's mom some roofies, then shagged her rotten.

MacGuffin

Quote from: lamasis it to be implied that Darth Plagueis was Palpatine's master and that Anakin was "created" by one of them?  which one?

From Entertainment Weekly:

In Phantom Menace, we learned that Anakin was immanculately conceived, or at least didn't have a dad. Does Sith clarify the situation?

Maybe. In Sith, Palpatine (Ian McDiarmid) tells Anakin the legend of Darth Plagueis, who could create life by manupulating the Force, and who was killed by his apprentice, whom Palpatine never names. Is the apprentice Palpatine? Did he use the Force to get Anakin's mom pregnant? "I certainly leave it open for you to think about," says McDiarmid. "I think maybe I do play that."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Raikus

Quote from: lamasanyone else disappointed with General Grievous?  he was supposed to be known as the greatest hand-to-hand fighter in the galaxy and killer of many Jedi.  this was really just glossed over.  his 4 lightsaber buzzsaw act was pretty slick but how the hell are we supposed to believe Obi-Wan managed to get in there to chop off two of his hands?  for those who questioned why he had the cough, I assume we're all to know that Mace had force-crushed his ribcage when Palpatine was abducted in the last Clone Wars cartoon episode.
I was certainly hoping for more fight style from him. As it is, he ran away a lot. The cough thing didn't bother me too much as he seemed like a bio-mech type creature and I knew about the force crush from Clone Wars. But the whole Obi-Wan thing kind of bugged me. He's always been lucky though and he's obviously got skills to pull the Babe-Ruth-pointing-out-homer thing he did with Anakin at the end.
Quote from: lamasso who was Sypho-Dias as mentioned in Ep. II?  when Obi-Wan reports on his findings on Kamino, Mace and Yoda look at each other like Sypho-Dias was a bad secret that just got out or something.
I thought he was a former Jedi Master who died way before the clone order came through and it was Palpatine who ordered it under his posthumous name.
Quote from: lamasso Qui-Gon Jinn wasn't involved in any of the shadiness behind Anakin's finding/birth?  i was definitely expecting a direct answer to this and the Sypho-Dias question after watching Ep. II last weekend.
Well, the answer to that would be...
Quote from: lamasis it to be implied that Darth Plagueis was Palpatine's master and that Anakin was "created" by one of them?  which one?
It was implied that Palpatine created Anakin by controlling the midiclorian (sp?) level in his mother which her learned from his former master, Plagueis. All for the sake of his master plan.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

MacGuffin

First Casting for Star Wars TV?
Farscape's Matthew Newton could be it.

Australia's Sunday News Herald and Moviehole report that George Lucas is shopping in the Land Down Under for talent to cast in his upcoming Star Wars television series.

One name that's come up is Matthew Newton, a 28-year-old actor who appeared in Queen of the Damned and had a recurring role as Ka Jothee in the sci-fi TV series Farscape. George Lucas, who will be closely involved with the new Star Wars spin-off, has allegedly done an "availability check" on the young thespian to see if he's available for a 100-episode run.

Lucas's own relationship with Newton goes back to Attack of the Clones, when he visited Skywalker Ranch and auditioned for the part of Anakin Skywalker. He lost out to Hayden Christensen, of course, but that doesn't mean Lucas wasn't impressed; in fact, he may have been the director's second choice.

Also, given Lucas's production facilities in Australia and his penchant for populating the Star Wars universe with Brits and Aussies, Matthew Newton is definitely a name to watch.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

lamas

100 episodes!!!  i thought this was gonna be like a one-time miniseries deal with about 10 episodes at most.

Ghostboy

Quote from: Raikus
Quote from: lamasanyone else disappointed with General Grievous?  he was supposed to be known as the greatest hand-to-hand fighter in the galaxy and killer of many Jedi.  this was really just glossed over.  his 4 lightsaber buzzsaw act was pretty slick but how the hell are we supposed to believe Obi-Wan managed to get in there to chop off two of his hands?  for those who questioned why he had the cough, I assume we're all to know that Mace had force-crushed his ribcage when Palpatine was abducted in the last Clone Wars cartoon episode.
I was certainly hoping for more fight style from him. As it is, he ran away a lot. The cough thing didn't bother me too much as he seemed like a bio-mech type creature and I knew about the force crush from Clone Wars. But the whole Obi-Wan thing kind of bugged me. He's always been lucky though and he's obviously got skills to pull the Babe-Ruth-pointing-out-homer thing he did with Anakin at the end.

I think he was originally supposed to be more of a badass. In the Making Of book (which is wonderful and surprisingly insightful, for a Lucasfilm sanctioned product, much like the documentary on Phantom Menace), they suggest that it was sort of a last minute change to give him more personality, and that it drove all the animators nuts because they had to re-do a lot of the work they'd already done on him. I think it works. I thought he was really boring on the Cartoon Network show (I only saw the first season, though), and his slimy cowardice made him more than just another Darth Maul clone. He sure was easy to dispatch, though.

Alethia

Quote from: metroshaneEven first or second takes should be better.  It's like he didn't hand them their lines until about 5 minutes before action.

many directors have used this technique to great avail.

Ultrahip

MacGuffin

Quote from: Ghostboy
Quote from: Raikus

I think he was originally supposed to be more of a badass. In the Making Of book (which is wonderful and surprisingly insightful, for a Lucasfilm sanctioned product, much like the documentary on Phantom Menace), they suggest that it was sort of a last minute change to give him more personality, and that it drove all the animators nuts because they had to re-do a lot of the work they'd already done on him. I think it works. I thought he was really boring on the Cartoon Network show (I only saw the first season, though), and his slimy cowardice made him more than just another Darth Maul clone. He sure was easy to dispatch, though.

From Entertainment Weekly's Secrets Of The Sith:

General Grievous is Darth Vader's daddy.

Kinda. A Jedi-killing four-armed alien/android with a skeletal canine mug, who twirls lightsabers like deadly rotary blades, the computer-generated Grievous falls in the storied Star Wars tradition of rich secondary characters. Lucas originally wanted a powerfully erect posture for the 'droid, but decided during production to change course and have him rendered hunched and sickly. He even has a chronic cough. Coleman says the idea was to foreshadow Star Wars' more famous half-man/half-machine: ''He's like the alpha version of Vader.'' Grievous' vampiric movements were inspired by the German horror classic Nosferatu, one of many monster-movie references in Sith. (Vader's entrance is so Frankenstein, you may find yourself inspired to shout, ''It's alive!'')

Skeleton FilmWorks

tpfkabi

yeah, that entrance and corresponding sound is comical
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

SHAFTR

"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Fernando

Well...finally saw it, I absolutely love the film, can't really add much to what has already been said, but here are some thoughts.

Quote from: Pubrick-the best part, darth vader when he finds out that his choke led to padme's death. devastated, he yells "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" with his arms outstretched, i had to stop myself from falling off my seat with laughter, all that was left was for him to get on his knees and hit the ground. wow. HILARIOUS.

Hahaha, exactly, that noooooooo ranks as one of the best noooo's in movie history.

Quote from: Stefen Posts DrunkerGeek mode on/
Spoilers....
Ranking the Jedis and Siths.

1. Darth Sidius -
2. Yoda -
3. Luke -
4. Darth Vader -
5. the Count -
6. Mace -
7. Obi Wan - not the greatest fighter. what he lacks in skill he makes up for in patience and understanding. He beat Darth Maul and Anakin even though those two were supposedly stronger than him. Hes got the most heart out of all of them, something I feel jedis lack.
8. Darth Maul -
9. Qui gon -
Geek mode off/

Good, I only disgree with Obi Wan's ranking, he belongs in the top five, he is a great fighter, he might only lack of malice/rage others have; in a way he is the new Yoda, calm, wise a true Jedi if you ask me.

I also liked the way the whole Code 66 that Sidius orders was executed, couldn't help to feel bad for the Jedis, these guards were many years with them and with that simply order just got rid of them, and later the climax in all of this was when the now Vader enters the Jedi counsel and kills all those younglins. Damn!

I thought some ppl were exaggerating when saying this one was the darkest, yep it's the darker one.