NEON MERCURY's ++ ps360ii Lite ++ thread -weaning you off WoW since 07

Started by NEON MERCURY, November 09, 2003, 08:52:13 PM

mogwai

Been playing Far Cry 3 recently and can't help to think I'm on the island as the losties in "Lost".

polkablues

Damn, the new Tomb Raider game is great.  It's like they threw out everything crappy about the previous Tomb Raider games (mostly everything), and compiled a game out of the best parts of Uncharted, Assassin's Creed, and Red Dead Redemption, with a pinch of Heavy Rain for flavor.
My house, my rules, my coffee

polkablues

Is nobody else playing this game? It's seriously great. It's so rare to play a game that does so many things right and doesn't have some glaring deficiency in some other area.

mogwai

Quote from: polkablues on March 23, 2013, 07:17:47 PM
Is nobody else playing this game? It's seriously great. It's so rare to play a game that does so many things right and doesn't have some glaring deficiency in some other area.

Have you played Far Cry 3? I was looking for similar games and Tomb Raider seems to be one of those. Cheers.

polkablues

I haven't played Far Cry 3 yet, but from what I know of it I see the similarities.  What Tomb Raider does extraordinarily well, in an area that video games have been historically bad at, is creating a compelling emotional arc for the protagonist that feels like a natural extension of the gameplay.  Combine that with how well-designed that actual gameplay is, and the whole thing just works.

Lottery

Quote from: polkablues on March 24, 2013, 03:07:23 PM
I haven't played Far Cry 3 yet, but from what I know of it I see the similarities.  What Tomb Raider does extraordinarily well, in an area that video games have been historically bad at, is creating a compelling emotional arc for the protagonist that feels like a natural extension of the gameplay. 

I hear the transition between her killing her first dude (and being horrified) to her being Ms. Killalot is quite jarring. But hey, it's a videogame.

polkablues

Quote from: Lottery on March 24, 2013, 04:56:31 PM
Quote from: polkablues on March 24, 2013, 03:07:23 PM
I haven't played Far Cry 3 yet, but from what I know of it I see the similarities.  What Tomb Raider does extraordinarily well, in an area that video games have been historically bad at, is creating a compelling emotional arc for the protagonist that feels like a natural extension of the gameplay. 

I hear the transition between her killing her first dude (and being horrified) to her being Ms. Killalot is quite jarring. But hey, it's a videogame.

It doesn't fully clear that hurdle, but it does better than something like the Uncharted series (which I do love), where the main character is only a human being in cut-scenes and a genocidal maniac in gameplay.  There actually is a progression of the character all the way throughout the game.

Myxo

Demon's Souls is available for free to PlayStation Plus members as of last week. The second game in that series, Dark Souls, is one of my favorite PlayStation 3 games of all time. Brutal difficulty. Wonderfully dark. Perfectly balanced. One of the only console RPG titles which has an online element worth a damn.

cinemanarchist

Far Cry 3 was a blast and I enjoyed it immensely, but nothing can hold a candle to Bioshock Infinite right now. It's dangerously close to being the best piece of media I've consumed so far this year. The game probably doesn't need to be a FPS but the scope, story, and execution of this thing are a real glimpse at what video games can achieve. I could never really understand cosplay and gamers wanting to live in the world of any particular game, but Columbia is one of the most beautiful and fully realized places I've ever seen and I would gladly live there...if I could somehow find a way to kick out all of the racist, xenophobic assholes inhabiting it.

Plus, God Only Knows performed by a barbershop quartet.
My assholeness knows no bounds.

Robyn

holy shit! this seems to have everything I loved about previous GTAs. the robbery mission in GTA 4 is the greatest moment in video game history. and I can wait to walk around and doing stupid shit and spending all my money on bullshit.

Admin edit: embedded vid

polkablues

2013 is to video games what 1999 was to movies.

Also: if anyone owns a PS3 and hasn't played The Last of Us yet, they're living wrong.

polkablues

Anyone taking advantage of the Steam summer sale? I was feeling an emotional void after finishing The Last of Us, so I kind of went crazy with it. I now have more games than I'll ever actually play.

Games I bought:
Antichamber
Bastion
Borderlands 2
Bully
The Cave
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Gunpoint
Hotline Miami
Mark of the Ninja
Scribblenauts Unlimited
The Swapper
Trials Evolution
The Witcher 2

Lottery

Heads up for people who like cheap computer games.

Cheap computer games.
https://www.humblebundle.com/

Really good lineup on this one.

polkablues

And now I have a shit-ton more games that I'll never have time to play.

Robyn

is anyone playing fifa on ps3? would love to play a match against someone.

or the last of us... that fucking game!