The Barbarian Invasions

Started by Finn, November 24, 2003, 03:31:15 PM

Finn

I've been hearing a lot of good things about this movie. It's been getting great critical acclaim since it played at Cannes. I'd really like to see it.

Poster:
http://www.impawards.com/2003/barbarian_invasions_ver3.html
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

godardian

I'm dying to see it, too. It's apparently some sort of sequel/companion piece to Arcand's '86 film, The Decline of the American Empire.

I missed the first press screening here, but they might be having another one *fingers crossed*.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

samsong

The Barbarian Invasions is an excellent film and I highly recommend it.  It's beautifully humane, finding a perfect harmony between comedy and tragedy.  Arcand displays some truly intelligent and mature filmmaking with this film, which is extremely personal and for that I'm deeply grateful.  One of the year's very best.. currently thrid on my top ten for the year.  The only problem I had with this film was its epilogue, which was confusing as to what the point of it was... but the film ends on a nice note.. sort of.  A brilliant, both intellectually and emotionally satisfying movie.... a classic.

godardian

Quote from: samsongThe Barbarian Invasions is an excellent film and I highly recommend it.  It's beautifully humane, finding a perfect harmony between comedy and tragedy.  Arcand displays some truly intelligent and mature filmmaking with this film, which is extremely personal and for that I'm deeply grateful.  One of the year's very best.. currently thrid on my top ten for the year.  The only problem I had with this film was its epilogue, which was confusing as to what the point of it was... but the film ends on a nice note.. sort of.  A brilliant, both intellectually and emotionally satisfying movie.... a classic.

Have you seen Decline of the American Empire, samsong? How does it compare?
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

samsong

Unfortunately I havent seen Decline of the American Empire... it came out before I was born and I can't find a copy anywhere.  But The Barbarian Invasions supposedly stands alone and I personally loved it.  It reminded me a lot of La Dolce Vita in the interactions among characters; the conversations, which are highly intellectual and very engaging, are all very much like the ones in most Italian cinema.  There's also a Jean Renoir-like level of humanity that's achieved in the film.  I don't know what I need to say to convince you of how great the film is but it seems like you're already anticipating it.  Regardless of how good Decline of the American Empire is, I'm sure The Barbarian Invasions is just as good, if not better.

godardian

Quote from: samsongUnfortunately I havent seen Decline of the American Empire... it came out before I was born and I can't find a copy anywhere.  But The Barbarian Invasions supposedly stands alone and I personally loved it.  It reminded me a lot of La Dolce Vita in the interactions among characters; the conversations, which are highly intellectual and very engaging, are all very much like the ones in most Italian cinema.  There's also a Jean Renoir-like level of humanity that's achieved in the film.  I don't know what I need to say to convince you of how great the film is but it seems like you're already anticipating it.  Regardless of how good Decline of the American Empire is, I'm sure The Barbarian Invasions is just as good, if not better.

Oh yes, I am anticipating it highly. I was just curious how the two might compare.

Thanks for the descriptions!

godardian

I caught this today... and loved it. It's absolutel a worthwhile sequel to Decline of the American Empire, and may even be better in some ways.

Much more when my DSL is back mid-week and I have more time on here.

Finn

Judging from Ebert & Roeper, it's suppose to have a rather sad storyline about death but yet it's very optomistic about both life and death.
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

godardian

Quote from: SydneyJudging from Ebert & Roeper, it's suppose to have a rather sad storyline about death but yet it's very optomistic about both life and death.

It is stoic and humane... I don't know about "optimistic." It's a very searching film, very open-ended and even equivocal.

Edit: I love that poster, too. That and Elephant are the best posters... both Cannes-related, too. Interesting.

Mazoku

I wish I could say more to help you about the decline of the american empire but I saw it a while back and I don't have a big memory of it, but we have copies of it in every videostore here, you make me wanna go right away there and rent it! =3

aside of that, I also think the sequel is a marvelous movie with dept as much in the characters than in the story... and it also feels very weird to see humorists act so serious! 0_0

cine

Mirimax Home Entertainment have also announced the region one release of The Barbarian Invasions which stars Stéphane Rousseau and Rémy Girard. The film won an Academy Award for for Best Foreign Language Film and will be available to own from the 13th July this year. Retail should be set at around $29.99. The film will be presented in 2.35:1 anamorphic widescreen along with a French Dolby Digital 5.1 track. English subtitles will also be included. We have no word on extra material I'm afraid. We don't have the official artwork yet either, but we'll bring you that as soon as we do. Stay tuned.

godardian

Quote from: CinephileMirimax Home Entertainment have also announced the region one release of The Barbarian Invasions which stars Stéphane Rousseau and Rémy Girard. The film won an Academy Award for for Best Foreign Language Film and will be available to own from the 13th July this year. Retail should be set at around $29.99. The film will be presented in 2.35:1 anamorphic widescreen along with a French Dolby Digital 5.1 track. English subtitles will also be included. We have no word on extra material I'm afraid. We don't have the official artwork yet either, but we'll bring you that as soon as we do. Stay tuned.

This is definitely on my "to-buy" list. It's wonderful.

Now I just wish Criterion would break down and release Decline of the American Empire... I tell them to do so every month, it seems like!

Pas

Quote from: godardian

This is definitely on my "to-buy" list. It's wonderful.

Now I just wish Criterion would break down and release Decline of the American Empire... I tell them to do so every month, it seems like!

Two GREAT movies... if you enjoy them, another quebecer to look for is Leolo directed by Lauzon. I'd say it was done in 1990 or something. Tom Waits did some of the music in it too...

I want to see this movie , even blind buy it, but I've been told that it works better if you've seen Decline  .  Advices?
context, context, context.

godardian

Quote from: cronopioI want to see this movie , even blind buy it, but I've been told that it works better if you've seen Decline  .  Advices?

It really does work better that way, and I'm a bit surprised that it's worldwide success hasn't led to a Decline DVD release... However, I'd still recommend it to anyone. It's not essential to have seen Decline, just preferable.