Sound Troubles

Started by matt35mm, April 05, 2004, 03:43:39 PM

mutinyco

Don't worry about it. That's still what most people do. Just start thinking ahead. Think about what you'd like to get your hands on in the future.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

Link

I got my mic last night and tried it out on Peak 4 on my G4, and it worked perfect!

kotte

How do you people deal with sound in post-production when you're making a DV short and not using professional facilities?
What programs do you use, to clean up tracks, to mix etc etc?

Do you fire up FCP or Premiere (or whatever) and simply set your sound levels etc etc right there?

Ghostboy

I find someone with professional facilities and beg them to do it for me for free.  :wink:

Actually, I only did that on my last project. Before then, I'd use various software programs that my friends had...sound forge, cuebase, etc. I'd burn an audio file of the entire project and take it to their house and work on it there. We'd get it to sound okay, but never perfect.

Sound is SUCH a bitch. I'm planning on buying a copy of ProTools before my next project, so that I can start doing things myself, but even after you've paid the 1000 dollars for the program, so much of what you'd want to do is in the plug-ins, many of which cost more than the program. When I got that professional sound mixer to work for me, he used 30,000 dollars worth of plug ins to get my sound perfected, cleaned and sweetened.

Link

Money, money, money.  Sigh.

I *obtained* a copy of BIAS Peak, and that program uses SoundSoap, which makes it really easy to take out hiss and unwanted ambience.  I just need to experiment more to know what everything does, and how I can use it to my advantage.

Here at school we have Cool Edit Pro, which is okay, but I don't dig it too much.

mutinyco

Yeah, my composer uses Pro Tools, which just by knowing him is lucky for me. He knows all the various plug-ins and mastering programs to a degree that's exhausting for me to watch.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe