What the hell is wrong with Tom Cruise?

Started by filmcritic, July 22, 2003, 03:34:31 PM

MacGuffin

Cruise, Holmes Have Baby Girl Named Suri

LOS ANGELES - The Tomkitten has arrived. Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes, the high-profile pair dubbed TomKat by the media, had a baby girl Tuesday, said Cruise spokesman Arnold Robinson. The baby, named Suri, weighed 7 pounds, 7 ounces and measured 20 inches long, he said.

"Both mother and daughter are doing well," Robinson said in a prepared statement.

The name Suri has its origins in Hebrew, meaning "princess," or in Persian, meaning "red rose," the statement said.

The baby was born in Los Angeles but the exact location was not disclosed.

It's the first child for Holmes, 27. Cruise, 43, has an adopted daughter and son from his marriage to Nicole Kidman.

Details surrounding the birth, which was planned under the tenets of the Church of Scientology as a silent procedure, weren't disclosed.

Outside the Beverly Hills home where Cruise and Holmes live, about a dozen reporters and photographers stood by. Security officers inside the compound videotaped the journalists.

A security guard at the gate — which was shrouded in black to prevent anyone from seeing in — refused to release any information. A few cars did arrive and were allowed into the estate. A police motorcycle officer stopped by around 4 p.m. and sat watching the goings-on.

The patrolman, who identified himself as Officer Chase, said he was just making a routine check, since activity around the area had been heightened for some time. He asked if the baby had been born, was told yes, and drove off.

It was just about a year ago that Cruise's romance with Holmes became a world sensation.

Cruise hopped up and down on a couch during an interview with Oprah Winfrey as he professed his love.

"I can't be cool. I can't be laid-back," Cruise declared at the time. "Something happened and I want to celebrate it."

The antics were widely mocked but Cruise was unfazed and continued to avow his affection for Holmes.

He and Holmes, a star of TV's "Dawson's Creek," had been first photographed together in Rome in April 2005.

She had previously been engaged to actor Chris Klein; Cruise had been married to Mimi Rogers as well as Kidman, and had dated Penelope Cruz for several years.

In June, Cruise announced to a Paris press conference that he had proposed to Holmes atop the Eiffel Tower.

"Today is a magnificent day for me, I'm engaged to a magnificent woman," he said.

No wedding date has been disclosed.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

Quote from: MacGuffin on April 18, 2006, 07:33:56 PM
"Both mother and daughter are doing well," Robinson said in a prepared statement.
notice, no mention of cruise.  cause he is doing CUCKOO!  :crazyeyes:
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Kal

Thats excellent... he doesnt give a crap about anything people say about him... he is still TOM FUCKING CRUISE!!!

Just Withnail

Quote from: kal on May 10, 2006, 10:59:53 PM
Thats excellent... he doesnt give a crap about anything people say about him

Are you kidding? Did you see the nervous look on his face? "Are they laughing with me or...? They´re laughing at me aren´t they? They´re laughing at me!"

modage

well, either way. he's still game to dance like an idiot and embarass himself after the worst press year of his life.  so  :bravo:
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: kal on May 10, 2006, 10:59:53 PM
Thats excellent... he doesnt give a crap about anything people say about him... he is still TOM FUCKING CRUISE!!!

That couldn't be further from the truth.  The source of all of his weirdness is that he DOES care about what people think of him.  All this motorcycle-riding and couch jumping on Oprah and all that crap is because everyone thinks he's gay.  I'm not weighing in on that one because I don't really care.  But he's going out of his way to do a lot of decidedly non-gay things in the public eye.

But as for the video there... Tom Cruise is the ONLY white man who can dance like a white man trying to dance like a black person on BET and not get booed, laughed at, or shot.  And he knows it.  Because he is TOM FUCKING CRUISE!!!

Kal

Quote from: hacksparrow on May 11, 2006, 08:56:06 AM

But as for the video there... Tom Cruise is the ONLY white man who can dance like a white man trying to dance like a black person on BET and not get booed, laughed at, or shot.  And he knows it.  Because he is TOM FUCKING CRUISE!!!

Thats my point... he can be gay, crazy, weird, whatever the fuck you want... every person in this planet has seen a Tom Cruise film, and everybody who likes film really liked one of his many movies (either Rainman, Magnolia, Jerry Maguire, Minority Report, whatever you want). He is the most successful, richest movie star ever. WHAT THE FUCK CAN YOU SAY TO HIM?

Fernando

Quote from: Lucid on May 10, 2006, 09:55:36 PM
Tom getting freaky-deaky

Wierd this link doesn't open in a new window.

As for Tom, he still rules everyone's asses.

Ravi

He may be Tom Cruise, but when all is said and done he still dances like a white guy.

MacGuffin

In public's eyes, Tom's less of a Top Gun 
By Susan Wloszczyna, USA TODAY

Ex-wife Nicole Kidman still loves him, or so she told the Ladies Home Journal.

But according to a USA TODAY/Gallup Poll over the weekend when Mission: Impossible III opened to $47.7 million, about $12 million less than expected, the public has lost its loving feeling for Tom Cruise.

When 1,013 adults were asked their opinion of Cruise, 35% were favorable and 51% unfavorable. Nearly a year ago, when War of the Worlds opened on July 4 weekend to $77 million, the rating was 58% favorable and 31% unfavorable. (Sampling error is plus or minus 3 percentage points.)

His popularity with women seems most affected: 56% were favorable in 2005, compared with only 35% now. No surprise to Fiona Sutton, 34, of Virginia Beach, who took Cruise's berating of Brooke Shields' treatment for postpartum depression to heart: "As a woman who has dealt with postpartum depression and has taken antidepressants in the past, I have no desire to line Mr. Cruise's pockets with any of my hard-earned cash."

Given that the new Mission received rave reviews and one of the widest openings ever in 4,054 theaters, many respondents point to Cruise's antics over the past year — his promotion of Scientology, the couch-bounce on Oprah — for the dip.

Says Bradley Jacobs, Us movie editor: "The mystique is gone. People take offense at his seeming arrogance. He is still the biggest star in the world, but it is different."

Other factors, such as the six-year lag between Mission: Impossible II and III and the latter's non-holiday opening, could have hurt ticket sales. But, says Dave Karger of Entertainment Weekly, whose current cover story asks whether Cruise is still worth his nine-figure payday, "A lot of people came up to me and said, 'I don't want to support this movie's first weekend.' They made a conscious choice to avoid it."

Except for buying a sonogram machine for at-home monitoring of his baby with fiancée Katie Holmes (leading to a California bill to ban such sales), Cruise's most notable antics were while stumping for War of the Worlds. Arnold Robinson, his publicist, blames the media for the lower poll results.

"The only thing new in his life is this movie and his baby with a woman he loves," he says. "The public has been besieged with these images. Whose fault is that? Tom hasn't done anything."

If Cruise wants to do some damage control, Karger says, "he should focus on his family and disappear a little bit."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

xerxes

courtesy of overheard in new york.

Teen girl: Hey, I'm a Scientologist.
Tom Cruise: Oh, really? What echelon are you in?
Teen girl: [awkwardly quiet] Uh... number three?
Tom Cruise: Exactly.

--Mission: Impossible III gala premiere, TriBeCa Film Festival, BMCC

MacGuffin

Suri Cruise Spotted in Telluride
Meanwhile, Tom tries to patch things up with Steven Spielberg.
By Kim Masters, Slate

Let's get this out of the way right now: Much as we hate even to touch on this question, there are in fact people who have seen baby Suri. Among them: producers Frank Marshall and Kathy Kennedy (they're married; she produced War of the Worlds). They saw the baby in Telluride, Colo., very recently and told friends that all seemed quite ordinary.

But we're not here to talk about baby Suri, though she does make a cameo appearance below. The question at hand is the relationship between the director of War of the Worlds (that would be Steven Spielberg) and the baby's daddy (that would be Tom Cruise).

As many folks in Hollywood and elsewhere know, there was a rift between Spielberg and Cruise that arose last year during and after their collaboration on War of the Worlds. This was in part because Spielberg felt that Cruise's off-camera antics dinged the film's grosses. And there was another issue, as reported this week in The New Yorker and previously elsewhere. It seems that after Spielberg (in a conversation with Cruise present) praised a psychiatrist who had helped a family member, representatives from the psychiatrist-loathing Church of Scientology staged a protest at the doctor's office.

Although Cruise was said to have assured Spielberg that he was not behind this incident, it infuriated the director and (perhaps more important) Kate Capshaw, also known as Mrs. Spielberg. For a time, it seems, the Spielbergs waited in vain for the star to explain how, exactly, those protesters happened to appear at the doctor's office.

All this may have more than mere gossip value with the prospects for Cruise's production deal at Paramount looking grim. After the middling performance of Mission: Impossible 3, there is a perception that Paramount may not be keen to ante up millions of dollars in overhead to keep Cruise on the lot. (M:I3 director JJ Abrams just made a rich deal at Paramount, diminishing the likelihood that the studio will shell out for the star.) Spielberg's company, DreamWorks, is now owned by Paramount, and there is a perception that the DreamWorkers might not be avid supporters of a Cruise deal.

Against this background, Cruise might well want to patch things up with the most powerful player in Hollywood. About a month ago, the gimlet-eyed folks at Defamer.com posted an item saying that Cruise had appeared at Spielberg's office with the baby for a photo session with the director. Then, last weekend, Cruise "surprised" Spielberg during a tribute at the Chicago International Film Festival. Cruise's appearance was such a well-kept secret that no one in Spielberg's camp knew about it, according to Spielberg spokesman Marvin Levy.

In fact, Cruise had already shown up in a taped tribute, along with Harrison Ford and other Spielberg alumni and associates, such as David Geffen and Jeffrey Katzenberg. The only other talent actually present for the event was Roy Scheider. Cinematographer Janusz Kaminski was booked to appear but canceled. Cruise filled the void.

Perhaps the organizers of the Chicago event didn't know about a rift between Spielberg and Cruise. Or maybe they simply couldn't resist having a giant star turn up. Certainly Spielberg seems to have been surprised. A few in the industry think that photos of the occasion reveal something less than unalloyed joy on his face.

Not so, says Levy. Spielberg thought the Chicago Film Festival tribute was the best ever, other than the one hosted by the American Film Institute. And Spielberg was "excited" that Cruise showed up, Levy says, adding, "I would dispute that the photos made him look uncomfortable."

But would Spielberg be happy to see Cruise if there is a rift? "I don't know that one necessarily is exclusive of the other," says Levy.

Maybe a Cruise and Spielberg rapprochement had already gotten under way, if Spielberg had previously posed for pictures with father and child. Do such pictures exist? Levy says that question will not be answered.

Those who know Spielberg well say he's nonconfrontational and he's not one to carry a grudge for all that long. But the wife might be another matter. So, the real story behind the Chicago surprise, as well as the mystery about those pictures with the sought-after infant, may have more to do with the politics of the hearth than the politics of Hollywood.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Paramount cuts ties with Tom Cruise
Film distribution giant ends 14-year relationship with actor's production company because of Cruise's recent erratic behavior, says a report.

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Paramount Pictures will end its longstanding relationship with Cruise/Wagner Productions, actor Tom Cruise's production company, citing his erratic behavior, according to a report published Tuesday.

Sumner Redstone, CEO of Paramount owner Viacom (Charts), said in an interview with The Wall Street Journal that Cruise's controversial behavior over the last year - including advocating for Scientology and denouncing the use of antidepressant drugs - was the cause for the move.

Cruise has been battling image problems in Hollywood.

The movie company is concerned that Cruise's behavior hurt his most recent film, "Mission: Impossible 3," said the report.

But Paula Wagner, Cruise's partner, disputed Redstone's assertions, according to the report. She told the paper that Cruise/Wagner Productions had decided to set up its own independent operation, backed by two unnamed hedge funds. She also noted in her comments to the Journal that Cruise had made Paramount vast sums of money over the years.

Cruise has worked with Paramount on hit films such as "Mission: Impossible," "Top Gun" and "Days of Thunder."

Cruise has starred in 24 movies with an average gross of $99.9 million, according to The-movie-times.com, an online Hollywood database.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

It's a war of the words
Redstone, Cruise dispute reasons for pact's termination
Source: Variety

The 14-year Tom Cruise-Paramount relationship has ended on a note of anger and outrage.

Cruise and production partner Paula Wagner said they have raised a revolving fund of $100 million from two hedge funds and are striking out on their own -- including setting their next project at another studio.

Wagner denounced comments made by Sumner Redstone about Cruise as "outrageous and disrespectful." Redstone told the Wall Street Journal on Tuesday that Par was ending its relationship with Cruise because "his recent conduct has not been acceptable."

In fact, Wagner said that CAA, Cruise's agency, terminated discussions with Par earlier in the week. After Cruise/Wagner made 14 films in 14 years (not all Par releases), the studio had declined to renew the original Cruise deal and offered a sharply reduced pact.

Cruise has been a tabloid regular over the past year due to his relationship with actress Katie Holmes, their daughter, his outspoken views on psychiatry and medication, and his increasingly outspoken advocacy for the Church of Scientology.

Wagner defended Cruise/Wagner's longtime success for the studio, saying that the shingle's product has accounted for 15% of Par's theatrical revenue in the last 10 years and 32% for the past six years. Their credits include the "Mission: Impossible" franchise, "Vanilla Sky" and "War of the Worlds."

The C/W shingle also produced "Elizabethtown," "Ask the Dust" and "Suspect Zero."

"Worlds" grossed $591 million worldwide, while "MI3" recently took in $393 million.

Studio insiders have long been aware of Redstone's attitude that $10 million in overhead isn't worth it especially given Cruise's behavior.

In making his critical remarks about Cruise, Redstone has triggered an angry confrontation with one of Hollywood's most important superstars and his power broker, CAA.

Rick Nicita (who is married to Wagner) and Kevin Huvane, the two agents who rep Cruise, denounced Redstone's remarks as "shockingly offensive and graceless."

In addition to finalizing the $100 million revolving fund, the reps at CAA are about to close on a C/W overhead deal with another entity but not a distributor, they said. Further, Cruise has decided on his next film as an actor and negotiations are commencing at another studio.

Insiders reacted sharply to the Redstone-Cruise imbroglio, suggesting that it points up the mixed messages that the studio has been sending. "When you talk to Paramount, which voice will respond to you?" asked one top agent.

Par is a much different studio than the one where C/W set up shop in the early '90s. Jonathan Dolgen and Sherry Lansing guided the studio at the time when Cruise/Wagner rose to become the marquee shingle on Melrose Avenue.

But over the past two years, the studio saw a massive overhaul following the exits of Dolgen and Lansing, followed by the installation of chairman Brad Grey.

Grey reworked the executive ranks and its supplier chain with the acquisition of DreamWorks and several new producer deals -- including another star pact with Brad Pitt and his Plan B shingle and, more recently, a lucrative pact for Cruise's "MI3" helmer J.J. Abrams.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Alexandro

Hatfields vs. McCoys

I spoke last night with someone we'll call Talent Guy, who just got back to town from a vacation and who spent most of yesterday soaking up the whole brouhaha about the way Viacom chief Sumner Redstone cut Paramount's ties with Tom Cruise. And he had some pretty bold things to say.

I'm not saying his thoughts are the sum total of mystical godly wisdom out there, but I know his views reflect what a lot of big-time talent types are saying amongst themselves.

Before I get into Talent Guy's words, bear with me for the last next six graphs. For others who are only just now getting up to speed, the 82 year-old Redstone blew a lot of minds Tuesday by telling the Wall Street Journal that Paramount was ending its 14-year relationship with Cruise's C/W Prods. because of the actor's "off-screen behavior", which "was unacceptable to the company."

As I wrote that day, it's astonishing that Redstone would say this because it wasn't really necessary to spell things out. The usual Hollywood routine in explaining a parting of the ways (creative or otherwise) is to use polite respectful terms, which Redstone obviously decided against.

In a New York Times story out today, various industry insiders were described as being "flabbergasted" at the manner in which Redstone lowered the boom.

Some have said why axe Cruise and his partner, Paula Wagner, for Cruise's eccentric behavior now when the really loopy stuff (apart from the ongoing tabloid perception that Cruise is a manic control freak keeping Katie Holmes and daughter Suri under lock and key) happened in the summer of '05?

Wagner put it to the Times that Redstone's diss had put Paramount chairman Brad Grey and Viacom CEO Tom Freston in a "lose-lose" situation.

"If you didn't know anything about this [statement in advance], how effective are you at running a studio?" Wagner said of the two executives. "Would anyone want to work with management that's ineffectual? And if you're complicit in it, would anyone work with a studio that devours its own?"

Talent Guy thinks that Redstone is getting old and stepped into this controversy partly because of the malady that 83 year-old guys all over tend to suffer from, which is that they can be blunt and cranky and intemperate. (My father isn't far from this age, and he's much snippier and ruder than he used to be.)

And yet, Talent Guys says, that doesn't mean Redstone isn't expressing what a lot of suits are thinking these days, which is "let's make the big-dollar talent guys sweat -- they're still one of the biggest reason movies cost so much, they don't necessarily justify the investment, they make too much back-end, they've overplayed their hand and it's time for those of a strong corporate disposition to step up and swat 'em down and herd them back into the corral where they can be restrained and made to see reason."

As one insider "suit" puts it, "Studios are making very little money on the big movies because talent deals are taking up too much of the back end. Gross players have to be trimmed down. Tom Cruise is the only one who made money on M:I:3, Peter Jackson is the only one who made out like a bandit on King Kong and Bryan Singer is the only one who came away rich, clean and cash-flush on Superman Returns. Back-end deals of this sort are fiscally imprudent and stupid in this environment."

And yet Talent Guy, who knows a lot of others in his realm (A's, B-plusses, B's), says that the A-list people in Hollywood feel that "the suits have overplayed their hand, they've overbuilt their companies, staffed them with too many executives whose salaries are too high, and they need to be swatted down. They've turned this industry into a monopoly. They're all in collusion and getting together and flattening it all down.

"This is the start of a whole Hatfield vs. McCoy war," Talent Guys says. "Suits vs. top- and mid-level talent. There's a lot of whispering and mumbling and grumbling at parties all over town, and I'm telling you it's about much, much more than 'is Tom Cruise a nutbag?' or 'is Sumner Redstone a nutbag?' It's really a fight for the soul and the future of this business.

"First off, let me tell you without a doubt that Will Smith, Tom Hanks, Adam Sandler, Jim Carrey, Ben Stiller, Cameron Crowe, Robert Zemeckis and a lot of other guys are close, close friends of Tom Cruise's and they love him... they've all seen his baby, they all know he's really in love, they all know it's a crock of bullshit...they all know he shouldn't have laid into Brooke Shields but guess what? So does Tom...he's apologized for what he said.

"And I'm telling you that these people I've just named -- the ten or twelve really big talents in this town that the studios need to worry about and keep happy -- are not happy about how this went down, and they're not happy about the Bigger Picture.

"From the talent side of view, we didn't turn all these studios into these massive corporate conglomerates," Talent Guy argues. "We didn't make it a business in which it takes 200 executives to make 20 movies a year...they're the ones who've created a business in which the cost of making movies is so expensive that there's only a 5 to 7% return during a good time...if there was a purity to this business with the DVD money and foreign sales, this would be a huge cash business.
"The A-level talent guys in this town aren't interested in playing this war out in the press, but the suits have decided that the way to beat these people down is through the press...but I'm telling you, we feel strongly about this. The suits have fucked this business up, not us. Quit laying the blame on movie stars. Don't say it like that, don't sell it like that.

"This Tom Cruise-Sumner Redstone thing is like a 9/11 flashpoint almost...maybe it's more like the bombing of the Marine barracks but it's one of those flare-ups that has a lot of people talking and getting mad. And it's going to kick off a long war that's going to play out over the next 10 to 15 years. And I promise you that in the end the studios as we know them now are going to crumble."

Talent Guy and his brethren basically foresee a world in which it'll eventually cost less to make and market movies, with a lot of the studio deadweight being jettisoned. They see a world with high-speed internet delivery of movies and direct-to-viewer marketing in which movies can be made and sold more efficiently than they are now, and in which they'll own significant percentages of these films and therefore won't need to demand huge upfront fees.

A world, in short, with the big machinery of developing and selling movies by studio executives sharply reduced in its size, impact and importance. Because they always push for the wrong kind of movies and they're deadweight functionaries in many respects. And because studio accountants are liars.

If the studios had been honest about their share of the profits, you never would have talent costing what they cost," he says. "But they lie so much and apply humungous fees and pay for their massive buildings and parking structures and charge ridiculous sums back to their own budgets for things they already own and are already getting incomes from...it's ridiculous.

"And the bottom line is that eventually the studios won't be able to afford their huge infrastructure, and they'll start downsizing themselves and laying more and more people off, and they'll become smaller and smaller distribution companies and releasing only their big tentpole movies. We don't need all these executives...we really don't.

"But the suits need the big stars and the big writer-directors much more than they think they do. Right now they don't think they need them....they don't have any respect for talent because of who they are, because they see movies as more of an animated CG music-video form with stars and directors and writers brought into the mix, at best, as seasoning.

"We didn't bring on this culture of marketing running everything, and the movies talking down to audiences...of bringing the whole movie culture down to the interest levels of a typical 17 year-old high school boy or girl...or placing so much empha- sis on visual pizazz and special effects in movies and the letting the concept of marketing budgets hitting $40 or $50 or $60 million dollars become the norm...we didn't do any of this, they did.

"I can see what people are talking about when they say some big movie stars make too much money, but they're just getting what they feel is a fair and justified cut of a pie that's been growing by leaps and bounds over the last 10 or 15 years.

"The far more pernicious element to me is the way the synthetic, quarter-of-an- inch-deep hugeness of movies today -- their manic, pogo-stick, look-at-our- latest-cheap-trick mentality, the hyper-glossy aspect of everything they put out today -- has become a kind of monster...a world in which guys like Peter Jackson and McG and Michael Bay and Brett Ratner are kings.

"Not altogether, thank fortune -- not with guys like Chris Nolan and Alexander Payne and Steven Soderbergh and even Sofia Coppola and movies like Little Miss Sunshine...there are heart movies, personal movies out there, but the good things have happened and prospered in this town in spite of what the suits have been doing for years, which is playing it safe and low and shallow and trying to turn the whole magic-of-movies alchemy into something synthetic and shit-level and poisoned with CG."

As for the problem of Sumner Redstone himself, Talent Guy thinks the only way for Paramount to restore itself in the eyes of the community is to gradually put him out to pasture.

First, put the word out now among agents and producers that, privately, Grey and Freston think Redstone has started to lose his bearings, and that they're going to start making moves to take him out of the loop. And then wait four to six months and quietly announce that Redstone is going to devote himself to some new charitable foundation while lessening his day-to-day duties as Viacom chief.

Of course, Talent Guy is leaping aboard the sentiment bandwagon voiced by guys like CAA agent Richard Lovett telling the N.Y. Times that "Paramount has no credibility right now...it is not clear who is running the studio and who is making the decisions." And Cruise's lawyer Bert Fields calling Redstone's comments "disgusting" and suggested that "he's lost it completely, or he's been given breathtakingly bad advice."

For what it's worth, my insider "suit" feels that Redstone said it plain and straight. He feels that Cruise has melted down and is damaged goods, and that Steven Spielberg, for one, doesn't see Cruise in warm friendly terms. "He thinks Cruise is eccentric and borderline irrational," he says. "Spielberg always reacts to the bottom line, to the greed factor...and he thought he was robbed of millions and millions of dollars when War of the Worlds underperformed...he knows Cruise cost him a lot of money going public on Scientology the way he did."

(Talent Guy says he knows that Spielberg takes money very seriously, but says his years-long friendship with Cruise is alive and well and undiminished.)

This source also says that Wagner has been talking to other studios for a while now about taking C/W Prods. to one of their lots for a housekeeping deal and "nobody bit. If anyone was interested somebody would have stepped up to the plate by now. Everybody knows C/W Prods. is looking and available, and if there had been a clamor, somebody would have stepped up. And in this climate, they haven't. And that's the bottom line."

Jeffrey Welles
www.hollywood-elsewhere.com