How to letterbox his films

Started by mutinyco, June 22, 2003, 09:36:03 AM

mutinyco

1.66 is still the European standard. Yeah, he preferred 1.33. But it looks better in 1.85. Try my tips and see.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

sphinx

eyes wide shut looks fantastic when cropped; i just tried it

MacGuffin

Quote from: mutinycoEWS is the trickiest. Again, it should be cropped to 1.66:1. However, you need to crop more of the bottom than the top. A good reference is the shot behind Nicole when Sandor Szavost approaches her. Use the top of her head as a reference, then bring the bottom close to the edge of the table, though with a drop of room.

Okay, now how do you get rid of the digital people in the orgy scene?
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

sphinx

the uncensored version is available everywhere on the internet, so theoretically you could splice it into your current copy of ews if you have a dvd burner.  at least they don't look incredibly fake, however it is very convenient.  kubrick must be rolling in his grave at that

mutinyco

Or you could buy yourself an all region DVD player, then get the European version...
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

bonanzataz

i remember when they reissued snow white a while back the screen was 1.33:1 and the sides of the screen not being used were just black. my first encounter with aspect ratios at a young age.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Keener

I watched Touch of Evil the other night and I actually enjoyed it as is. I think I liked that specific movie that way more than I would in widescreen. So bizarre.
Alabama Film Forum
Uniting film lovers and filmmakers of Alabama

mutinyco

I don't know what version of Touch of Evil you saw, but the restored DVD is 1.85 widecreen.

-St. Joe

Keener

Quote from: mutinycoI don't know what version of Touch of Evil you saw, but the restored DVD is 1.85 widecreen.

Really? I need to get ahold of that then. I saw the VHS which was the restored version (the one they edited best they could to fit Orson's original vision from his letters to the studio). I liked alot of the shots as was but now I must seek down this 1.85 you speak of.
Alabama Film Forum
Uniting film lovers and filmmakers of Alabama

jokerspath

Quote from: mogwai
Quote from: MacGuffinOkay, now how do you get rid of the digital people in the orgy scene?
Quote from: sphinxthe uncensored version is available everywhere on the internet, so theoretically you could splice it into your current copy of ews if you have a dvd burner.  at least they don't look incredibly fake, however it is very convenient.  kubrick must be rolling in his grave at that
Aha, does this mean I will show some raunchy caps soon?

Anyone want to post caps of the non-censored version vs. the censored version?

aw
THIS IS NOT AN EXIT

cowboykurtis

mutinyco,

im sorry to say partner, but you dont know what you're talking about. a full double perf 35mm camera negative is 1.85, not 1.33. when shooting 1.33 they use a tv safe ground glass and then crop the image later. with 2.35 its either anamorphic: it squeezes the image onto the negative and then unsqueezes it when projected or its single perf super 35mm (2.40). there is no existing camera negative that has a 1.33 aspect ratio in 35mm. double perf. 16mm is close (1.66), and super 16(single perf) is utilizing the whole neg area which is about 1.79( close to 1.85). its never cropped in the theater bucko. before you call me wizard, know what you're talking about, buddy.
...your excuses are your own...

mutinyco

I am correcting you. Because you are wrong. A 35mm camera negative looks exactly like the 35mm negavitve you'd shoot in a 35mm still camera. It's 35mm. It doesn't look anything like 1.85, 1.66, or 2.35 anamorphic (2.4 Super-35). These aspect ratios came about only after TV became a major competitor to the movies. They started experimenting with various screen sizes, including 70mm and Cinerama, which consisted of multiple projectors creating a giant image. This is also when 3-D came into vogue.

Eventually, they settled on 1.85 for North America and 1.66 just about everywhere else -- notwithstanding anamorphic, which, as you explained, is a squeezed image.

But yes, these DVDs are presented in the original camera negative aspect ratio. As well, double perf 16mm is 1.33, not 1.66 as you said. Super-16 is 1.66, not 1.79. 1.79 is 16:9 digital widescreen.

Most filmmakers shoot using the full camera negative, with a glass to show the outline of their preferred aspect ratio for composition. This is done because, among other things, if a hair or a piece of dust winds up in the gate it will most likely stick at the bottom. If you use a 1.85 plate in your camera as you shoot, then that hair will be part of your final image. If you shoot with the full negative, you can crop it out. Same goes for boom mics, hense my example of poor projection cropping in theaters.

-St. Joe

SoNowThen

I was under the impression that Super-16mm was 1.85:1....

why would it be 1.66:1??
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Duck Sauce

Rename this thread "How to Vandalize a Picasso and more"

jokerspath

Well, if its no problem, would you post it?  

aw
THIS IS NOT AN EXIT