Man on the Train

Started by Reinhold, February 21, 2006, 03:26:03 PM

Reinhold

I had this idea while I was on an MTA train leaving Grand Central last night. I wrote it this morning. I plan to shoot it on black/white reversal 16mm some time in the next couple of months and then edit it in fcp.  It may end up getting shot sooner than that, because I bought 400 feet of film stock yesterday for another short project that looks like it may be getting scrapped.

I only want this to be 2-3 minutes of screen time, with the narration in a french adult male voice and (optionally) subtitled in english.

I'm not sure whether I'll keep the last line or not. also, it's a working title.

"The Man on the Train" is taken. Also considering "The Married Man" and others.

Man on the Train

i'm interested to hear what you guys have to say.

Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

The Red Vine

I like it very much. Very promising for a short film. Black & white would be the best way to shoot it. Keep the title "Man on the Train".
"No, really. Just do it. You have some kind of weird reasons that are okay.">

pete

not to sound flippy, but you are aware that there is a french film titled man on the train right?
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

killafilm

Looks pretty cool. 

My only questions are why the voice-over and why in a French accent.  Also, if you're going to have the narrator on the train, why just have him narrate? You could have him break the wall and speak directly into the camera, for instance.

Reinhold

Quote from: pete on February 21, 2006, 07:17:21 PM
not to sound flippy, but you are aware that there is a french film titled man on the train right?

it's "THE man on the train" this is different. thanks for the heads-up.

Quote from: killafilm on February 21, 2006, 09:40:52 PM
Looks pretty cool. 

My only questions are why the voice-over and why in a French accent.  Also, if you're going to have the narrator on the train, why just have him narrate? You could have him break the wall and speak directly into the camera, for instance.

why the voice over: that's the way i thought about it when i first had the idea. i don't think it has the same impact without it.

why the french accent: not a french accent. in french, maybe subtitled in english.

since he's on the train, why not have him speak into the camera: i'd rather not give the viewer somebody tangible to accuse of being a voyeur. i think it'd remove the audience too much from the story of the man... one might be tempted to judge the narrator.  he's on the train with the man because it's as much about people watching as a part of everyday life as it is about the man with the hair cream. also, i think the narrator is a much more interesting character when he's not just handed to the audience visually.

Quote from: RedVines on February 21, 2006, 05:25:25 PM
I like it very much. Very promising for a short film. Black & white would be the best way to shoot it. Keep the title "Man on the Train".

thanks.
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

killafilm

Pubrick

that wasn't bad. narration is cool. black and white is cool. short is cool.

bad casting could screw it up. and shooting in a convincing location (interior).
under the paving stones.