What are we reading?

Started by edison, September 21, 2003, 11:20:03 PM

MacGuffin

Mmmmmm... New Chuck Palahniuk

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

deathnotronic

Cradle to Cradle by William McDonough.

Reinhold

Catch 22, by Joseph Heller

hey, wouldn't it be cool if somebody made a movie out of this one, too?
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

Quote from: RaviThe Captain Is Out to Lunch & the Sailors Have Taken over the Ship by Charles Bukowski

i love this one so much,  it's so DOOMED. and it's enhanced by crumb's drawings

and those of you who like michel houellebecq, his next book's coming soon, don't know the title yet.
context, context, context.

jtm

just finished this. it was a great read, especially if you've ever worked in a restaurant.  his descriptions of what it's truly like to be a line cook are spot on.

pete

"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Redlum

Just finished 'Atomised' and have started 'To the White Sea'. Both thanks to strong recomendations from this website. Thankyou :)
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

kotte

Quote from: Jay Tee EmKitchen Confidential

just finished this. it was a great read, especially if you've ever worked in a restaurant.  his descriptions of what it's truly like to be a line cook are spot on.

Hehe, I just finished this yesterday and I agree. Great read!
Made me wanna be a cook for a minute... :)

Reinhold

"Time Travel and Papa Joe's Pipe" by Alan Lightman

from his website:

Time Travel and Papa Joe's Pipe
Essays on the human side of science. By means of humorous anecdotes, fantasies, personal memory, parables, and scientific discussion, this book examines the artistic and imaginative aspects of the world of science. Essays include: "Time Travel and Papa Joe's Pipe," a meditation on the possibilities of time travel brought on by smoking his great grandfather's pipe; "Relativity for the Table," a discussion of Einstein's theory of relativity suitable for the dining room table; "Pas De Deux," an accounting of the laws of physics that a ballerina makes use of during her dance, presented as a pas de deux dance between the ballerina and nature; "A Visit by Mr. Newton," an imagined visit by Newton as a satire on the increasing specialization of science; "If Birds Can Fly, Why Oh Why Can't I?" a light-hearted but scientifically accurate musing on the biological and physical requirements for animal-powered flight, and others.

"Essays collected in a volume too small for the taste they build up in the reader." -- Toronto Star (Canada)

"The charming and cheerful essays in this collection show us the creative - even the whimsical - aspects of science." -- The Boston Globe

"A poetic touch and a consistently graceful style." -- Milwaukee Journal

"This is a pleasant look at science from a warm storyteller's point of view. It also contains some of the clearest explanations one is likely to find of involved astrophysical concepts." -- Sacramento Bee
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

Jeremy Blackman

Can someone give me some good recommendations for new experimental fiction? The library has nothing but classics, and I can't risk a blind buy online. I need something that I could peek into at Barnes & Noble.

Has anyone read anything by James Chapman or anything from Fugue State Press? Looks pretty interesting...

JB , you should probably read this:

it got published when he was 19 (!) and he also executive produced Elephant. if that leaves you interested, check out his website www.jtleroy.com
context, context, context.

Ghostboy

Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanCan someone give me some good recommendations for new experimental fiction?

This is a few years old, but I was just discussing Mark Danielweski's House Of Leaves the other day, and that definitely fits the bill of new experimental fiction. Narratively, it has its problems, but structurally, it's pretty brilliant. A bold experiment in storytelling through typography that almost entirely pays off.

kotte

Fear and Loathing in America : The Brutal Odyssey of an Outlaw Journalist
by Hunter S. Thompson

I don't know much about Hunter and his work but this had me intrigued. I haven't read it but I'm thinking about it.

Anyone read it?

jtm

Quote from: kotteFear and Loathing in America : The Brutal Odyssey of an Outlaw Journalist
by Hunter S. Thompson

I don't know much about Hunter and his work but this had me intrigued. I haven't read it but I'm thinking about it.

Anyone read it?

i read it here and there.  it's not really a book you need to sit down and read from start to finish before reading another book. it's just vol 2 of his personal letters that he wrote from 68-76 (vol 1 being The Proud Highway 55-67).... it's the closest we'll ever get to his biography and it's definitely a good read.

if ur looking to get into his work, i'd suggest you also pick up Hells Angels, Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas, F & L on the Campaign Trail and The Great White Shark Hunt.

kotte

Quote from: Jay Tee Em
Quote from: kotteFear and Loathing in America : The Brutal Odyssey of an Outlaw Journalist
by Hunter S. Thompson

Anyone read it?

i read it here and there.  it's not really a book you need to sit down and read from start to finish before reading another book. it's just vol 2 of his personal letters that he wrote from 68-76 (vol 1 being The Proud Highway 55-67).... it's the closest we'll ever get to his biography and it's definitely a good read.

if ur looking to get into his work, i'd suggest you also pick up Hells Angels, Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas, F & L on the Campaign Trail and The Great White Shark Hunt.

Great! Thank you.