most annoying actors

Started by Jeremy Blackman, January 12, 2003, 08:46:42 PM

©brad

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman
Quote from: cbrad4dIt may seen like they are overacting in Gladiator, but I think it comes with the nature of the piece, which is very dramatic, very theatrical and almost Shakesperean.

:shock:

Ok, first of all, I'd like to see you defend Gladiator as Shakespearean. Yes, Shakespearean acting is very melodramatic (who knows if he intended it that way, or if Shakespearean acting really hasn't evolved. There are great Shakespeare films that are completely not overacted. See "Titus") but you need the language to back it up--and Gladiator's writing is some of the most hollow, pretentious fluff that I have ever been exposed to.

Quote from: cbrad4dGladiator is heavy-handed

You're right there... And when a filmmaker goes that route and takes that risk, it's all or nothing... and Gladiator is nothing...

The dialogue is very much hollow and pretentious fluff. I was referring more to the acting style and the plotline itself. Come on! How many Shakespeare plays have a father/son revenge ghost storyline to them?

Raikus

Affleck's getting on my nerves. And I'll always hate Reese Witherspoon (with the exception of Election). I think she'd have a perfect part in a future Omen movie.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

polkablues

Quote from: RaikusAffleck's getting on my nerves.

Agreed.  Why is Ben Affleck this massive star, while Casey Affleck, infinitely more talented, is practically an unknown?

To be fair, though, I thought Ben was pretty good in "Changing Lanes".
My house, my rules, my coffee

bonanzataz

I love Witherspoon, but I hate Affleck. With him and J. Lo it's like that annoying couple that walks through the high school and is always making lovey dovey faces at each other only they both have a bajillion dollars and can afford to go on lovey dovey mercedes benz shopping sprees. Enough already! And J. Lo herself could have had a respectable movie career (Out of Sight was awesome, she was good in Selena), but now she's in crap that just makes me feel like she's more annoying than ever (Maid in Manhattan, Enough).
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

MacGuffin

I think I might have to change my vote:

Entertainment Weekly reports that producer Lee Daniels, who helped Halle Berry transform from mere hottie to Oscar winning with Monster's Ball, will reinvent songbird Macy Gray as a movie star.

Daniels has cast the psychedelic singer in a musical titled Donkey Skin. "It's about a princess and a donkey that poops gold," says Daniels. "It's based on a classic fairy tale by the same writer of "Puss in Boots" and "Cinderella".

If it sounds familiar, that's because it's already been made into a film, 1970's Peau d'ane, starring Catherine Deneuve.

Gray could also be seen briefly in Spider-Man last year during the World Unity Festival scene.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ernie

Steven Segal, Vin Diesel, Jean Claude Van Damme, Kevin Costner, Kirstie Alley...that's about it...hopefully.

av8raaron

The fact that the American viewing public actually pays to see Martin Lawrence films is a great obscenity.
Fresh buttered toast.

Vile5

Jim Carrey, Jim Carrey and Jim Carrey,
...and i would say Adam Sandler but after Puch Drunk Love i just say RESPECT!
"Wars have never hurt anybody except the people who die." - Salvador Dalí

SoNowThen

Vin Diesel, Anthony Hopkins (only sometimes), Susan Sarandon (all the fucking time), Rebecca Pigeon, Joe the host of retarded Fear Factor...more to come...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

pookiethecat

penelope cruz and jennifer garner...i have a problem with overhanging  lips.  and cruz just plain sucks as an actress.
i wanna lick 'em.

modage

halle berry.  "this goes out to all who came before".  uhh, isnt your mom white?

jennifer lopez.  too obvious, but she would certainly be on my plane.  

(the plane of the people that would probably be better off crashing into a mountain).
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

SoNowThen

When Gwenneth Paltrow was on Conan one night, she said: "Halle Berry stole that whole "crying at the Oscars" thing from me. Also, "the first black woman to win", she stole that from me, too.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

pookiethecat

She's dating Chris Martin from Coldplay.  Wonder if they'll be some Gwenyth-inspired music on their next album.     :?:
i wanna lick 'em.

NEON MERCURY

sandra bullock
hugh grant
woody harrelson

AlguienEstolamiPantalones

Quote from: mogwai
Quote from: MacGuffinGray could also be seen briefly in Spider-Man last year during the World Unity Festival scene.

She was in Training Day as well.

mogwais new pic is one the best i have seen so far