Apocalypse Now

Started by El Duderino, March 31, 2004, 07:40:06 PM

Ravi

polkablues

Quote from: MacGuffin on May 17, 2006, 03:33:24 PM
the film's cinematographer, Vittorio Storaro, prefers that Apocalypse Now be exhibited on video at the slightly cropped widescreen ratio of 2.0:1

Why the hell would that be?  Are there C-stands and shit on the edges of the frame?
My house, my rules, my coffee

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Already on my list for Best DVD for the Xixaxies 2007.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Chest Rockwell

Got it today. Amazing.

Pubrick

Quote from: Chest Rockwell on August 15, 2006, 11:46:25 PM
Got it today. Amazing.
what, no buts?

Quote from: Chest Rockwell on August 15, 2006, 11:57:35 PM
although I'd have liked the EWS notes to be complete.
Quote from: Chest Rockwell on August 15, 2006, 09:55:18 AM
I would have expected a better cover for Double Life
Quote from: Chest Rockwell on August 14, 2006, 08:08:02 AM
It was a rather interesting, albeit failed, experiment.
Quote from: Chest Rockwell on August 10, 2006, 03:21:44 PM
I feel bad though just because it cost a small fortune for my parents.
Quote from: Chest Rockwell on August 09, 2006, 08:56:28 PM
but I predict the business will plunge after the first couple weeks.
Quote from: Chest Rockwell on August 09, 2006, 03:47:09 PM
I love the theater experience except they overcharge for both food and the movies.
Quote from: Chest Rockwell on August 08, 2006, 10:34:31 PM
Although I generally don't like such obvious send-ups of past genres,

a lot of fun for a home-edited movie.
Quote from: Chest Rockwell on August 03, 2006, 10:34:05 PM
But I'm also not Jewish, so what do I know?
Quote from: Chest Rockwell on August 03, 2006, 08:49:14 PM
Wii could be a lot of fun, but you'd have to be alone....
Quote from: Chest Rockwell on August 03, 2006, 03:03:22 PM
I can't say I care too much about that role as I never would have seen it. But I imagine Scarlett must be pissed with her managers.
Quote from: Chest Rockwell on August 03, 2006, 02:55:20 PM
I don't like Mencia and I don't like racially-themed comedy that much either. But this is his biography according to IMDb
the remaining few posts i couldn't be bothered quoting were much the same shit too.
under the paving stones.

Ghostboy

Man, how much time did you spend compiling that?

Anyway, I picked up this DVD today and am looking forward to watching it sometime within the next twelve to eighteen months. I haven't seen the film itself since Redux played on the big screen, so it's due for a revisit. And I can't wait to hear the commentary.

Pubrick

Quote from: Ghostboy on August 16, 2006, 05:15:51 AM
Man, how much time did you spend compiling that?
my playlist went from desperado by the eagles to desperado by johnny cash, so.. between two songs length.
under the paving stones.

Pwaybloe

Boy, you're lucky to get anything done when that song is on.

"Deeeeeeesperadoooo"

Chest Rockwell

HeywoodRFloyd

I've come to realise that a majority of cinephile's condemn Coppola's reworked 2001 release Apocalypse Now Redux. I don't understand the hate, The Redux version is a far greater film/odyssey.
People condemn the French Plantation scene for being boring/too long/unnecessary, I think it's one of the best scenes in the film and it works extremely well.

I wanted to find out if I'm in the minority, and which version you guys prefer

Reel

I prefer the one with more Brando in it. I'm sure the other one feels like a tighter, more well rounded film, but if I'm watching a Brando movie, I just wanna see more Brando. It's that simple.

Alexandro

My favorite version was actually a kind of mix I read about somewhere, back when I bought the "complete dossier" dvd. i used to watch the redux version on disc 1 and the normal version on disc 2. that meant that I got to see the extended sequences of the helicopter attack and the aftermath of the playboy bunnies in that typhooned camp when they're all crazy and it's all very surreal, and I got the tight version of the rest because I do feel that is there that the redux really drags. I like it but more on a curiosity level, specially the french plantation sequence which goes on for a little too long and has this weird electronic score when martin sheen and the woman fuck.

now with blu ray I prefer the original version. that said, I saw redux 4 times in the theatre when it came out.

InTylerWeTrust

Redux all the way...

But I've only seen the Original once.
Fuck this place..... I got a script to write.

ElPandaRoyal

I also prefer the Redux. Why? Well, it's a little bit more of everything, and the french plantation sequence to me just adds even more to the insanity and tension of it all.
Si