Richard Ashcroft/The Verve (new single and video out/ Ri still hot)

Started by NEON MERCURY, August 04, 2003, 11:58:11 AM

Stefen

You know, this could have turned out to be a real disaster, jerk.  :yabbse-angry:

Luckily chaos was averted.  :bravo:
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

cinemanarchist

Quote from: Stefen on August 13, 2008, 11:24:20 AM
You know, this could have turned out to be a real disaster, jerk.  :yabbse-angry:

Luckily chaos was averted.  :bravo:

I wouldn't want you to drag me outside of Largo and stab me or anything. :yabbse-grin:
My assholeness knows no bounds.

MacGuffin

My reaction after a first listen is; Great album, but a few songs go on longer than they should. You think the song is over, but it fades out for another two minutes.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

cinemanarchist

Love Is Noise gets my vote for single of the year. I am having to use extreme amounts of self-control to not listen to that song on repeat all day long.

SoNowThen

Teacup review:

- I like Richard and Co, even defended him many times when he released solo albums. Well, mostly just the first solo album, then it became impossible. Had high hopes for this one, though. Even listened to my least favorite Verve album (Northern Soul) in preparation a few weeks ago, loved it, and so...

- it's a pile, to be sure. There was a moment when it was not a pile. That moment was from the beginning of Noise Epic until the end of Valium Skies. That sounded like a band with something to say, and with some balls. Or at least it DIDN'T sound wanky, twiddly, and whiny, like the rest of the album.

- I guess I save ten bucks. I wouldn't mind if someone who is enjoying it and listening to it constantly tries to change my mind, however.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

mogwai

my favorite song on the new lp is "judas". it's what i like about the verve. they often jam stuff and edit them down to songs. unfortunately there are some stinkers here (especially "noise epic") that makes the lp not a well worth follow-up to "urban hymns".

does anyone know who produced the album btw?

Pwaybloe

Quote from: mog●wai on August 28, 2008, 10:54:36 AM
does anyone know who produced the album btw?

Officially "The Verve'' produced all tracks.  Chris Potter did some engineering work, but was not listed as a producer.

mogwai

sorry to bump this thread but i just wanted to join the others here who feels the new album stinks.

cinemanarchist

I have grown to dislike this album...After the intial Palin glow wore off I realized how crappy it actually was.

NEON MERCURY

wow  :yabbse-angry:...u guys are mean..except for mac.  i fucking love this album it falls short of urban hymns but i fell its stronger (i.e. i like it more) than northern soul and storm....i think alot of it is what our good friend from tenneesse says..arshcroft solo palyed by the verve...but thats not  abad thing....mog...i think this will be our first big dissagreement and i usually alwys agree w/u..but judas is the worst track while noise epic is ..epic....and i fells its on of the closer soiundign the old verve stuff...i pesonally think the grandest of all tracks is appalachian springs..i lovgfe that song..... the album was worth the wait for me an di hope this wil lead to only bigger an dbetter things....

Pwaybloe

Has anyone else heard of RA's new project: RPA & The United Nations of Sound? 

It's an... interesting new direction.  It has a lot of his solo work involved with strong religious overtones (which I like).  It does go a bit overboard at times that even the most ardent of Christian artists don't dwell. 

Here is their for their first single, "Are You Ready".

It's a bit unexpected, strange, and unintentionally hilarious. 

mogwai

Richard Ashcroft: Verve reformation tensions were 'inevitable'

Singer says there was a 'realness' to 2007 comeback

Richard Ashcroft has said it was "inevitable" that there were inter-band tensions when The Verve reformed in 2007.

The singer, who is set to release his debut album with new project United Nations Of Sound later this month (July 19), said there was a "realness" to the Wigan band's comeback.

"It wasn't a marketing thing. It was much better than hanging around," he told the Observer.

Ashcroft also discussed disappearing from the public eye over the past couple of years, saying it is "fantastic" that he is outside the mainsteam again.

"But I don't feel on the outside when I walk the streets. I'm not on the outside to the painters, to the delivery guys, the shop assistants. I'm not on the outside to the people of England," he remarked.

In 2008, The Verve released their fourth album 'Forth and headlined a trio of UK festivals - Glastonbury, T In The Park and V Festival.

However, there were regular rumours of tensions and arguments, with Ashcroft describing the reformation at the time as "not some 'Mills And Boon' scene".