Wolfgang Petersen

Started by Spike, May 27, 2003, 11:03:10 AM

Spike

What do you think about DAS BOOT Director Wolfgang Petersen?
I think he's great! All his films were great!

Spike
"We're gonna celebrate St. Suck-My-Big-Fat-Fucking-Sausage'a!!!"

children with angels

Even Air Force One...?!

But I'm speaking from ignorance here: I've only seen his American movies like Outbreak and In The Line of Fire - what are the German ones like?
"Should I bring my own chains?"
"We always do..."

http://www.alternatetakes.co.uk/
http://thelesserfeat.blogspot.com/

©brad

i kinda liked air force one. the part at the end when he's fighting with gary oldman and he ties that seatbelt thing around his neck and is all like "get off my plane bitch"- that shit was bad.

i wish harrison ford was our president. he can fly planes too.

xerxes

i don't know if he is that great but the last scene of das boot is pretty amazing.

Bud_Clay

wolfgang also did "The Perfect Storm" ...which, i dont know about anyone else, but fucking sucked.   i loved Das Boot though.  i havent seen any other of his german films, unfortunately.. i should...screw him now though.  screw him along with fucking ridley scott!

Spike

Petersen didn't do lots of german cinema films. One of them was the TV-film SMOG, then came DAS BOOT, and after this THE NEVERENDING STORY, which was shot in Englisch, but produced by Germans. After this his films were all English. But he did a lot of TATORT-Episodes.
"We're gonna celebrate St. Suck-My-Big-Fat-Fucking-Sausage'a!!!"

Sleuth

NEVERENDING STORY is the most memorable film from my childhood
I like to hug dogs

mina aphrodosia

yeah, he didn´t do much german films, the best TATORT ever with Nastassja Kinski. i watched 10 mins of the perfect storm, CRAP! why does he always make this action-bullshit?air force one was shit, too, though han solo was in it.
Let´s be happy that we´re alive

MacGuffin

WOLFGANG PETERSEN TEAMS WITH "THE BACHELOR" PRODUCER FOR A REMAKE OF "THE POSEIDON ADVENTURE”
Source: Variety

Persisting Hollywood’s “remake” trend, producer/director WOLFGANG PETERSEN ('The Perfect Storm,' 'Air Force One' and the upcoming WB’s epic 'Troy') has turned his attention to produce a remake of the 1972 disaster film "THE POSEIDON ADVENTURE.”

"With the incredible advances in effects technology, even since (2000's) 'The Perfect Storm,' the time is right for a remake of 'The Poseidon Adventure,' " Petersen said in Variety. “We can make this a very scary movie … and a lot of fun."

Petersen, who is not expected to direct the disaster pic, will team up with the unlikely producing partner MIKE FLEISS, who’s probably best known for executive producing and creating the ABC’s hit “The Bachelor.” Fleiss got his first feature producing credit on New Line's remake of "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre."

"I grew up in the era of the disaster film, but none of them was as cool as this one," said Fleiss in Variety. "We were both pursuing the feature rights, and luckily, they were with Warner Bros., and that is where my deal is and where Wolfgang has his deal."

Based on a Paul Gallico novel, “Poseidon” tells the story of a capsized ship whose survivors try to make their way back up through the hull to the surface. The classic film which starred Gene Hackman, Shelley Winters, Roddy McDowall and Ernest Borgnine, is generally considered to have launched a thousand disaster spectacles.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Alethia

modage

Quote from: ewardfuckin remakes
*sigh.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

grand theft sparrow

Petersen's got his ups and downs.  Nothing he's done since DAS BOOT has really compared but he's pretty tight when it comes to suspense.

PERFECT STORM did suck though.

But I'm psyched about TROY.

Ravi

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/mytwocentsa86.html#boot

And the Das Boot: The Original Uncut Version will be a 2-disc set featuring the original mini-series version that was produced for German TV broadcast in 1981 (running time: 293 minutes). The video will be anamorphic widescreen, with audio in English and German Dolby Digital (note that you'll get the restored original stereo audio as well as a newly created 5.1 mix - in GERMAN we hope). A behind-the-scenes featurette is also included. Can't WAIT for this!

cine

MacGuffin

Wolfgang Petersen Takes a Bullitt for WB
Source: Variety

Troy director Wolfgang Petersen and Warner Bros. are reloading Bullitt, reports Variety. The studio will remake the 1968 Steve McQueen drama with Petersen directing.

The crime caper, centered on tough-guy detective Frank Bullitt, will be contemporized by Cynthia Mort. The original drama was based on the Robert L. Pike novel "Mute Witness," but the remake isn't. Petersen sparked more to the character than to the original storyline.

"Bullitt" is not about "remaking a film or repeating a plot, it is about reviving a great character," Petersen told the trade. "Frank Bullitt is a cool, no-nonsense man who doesn't compromise. Bullitt walks his own path and his pursuit of the truth is unrelenting."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks