..Your top five albums of the Year..(2003)..so far

Started by NEON MERCURY, November 16, 2003, 08:42:43 PM

Ghostboy

The only reason I know is because I finally bought the actual CD (as opposed to the downloaded tracks I've been listening to) and it said 2003 on the case. But I've been listening to their music for...over two years now, I think.

i got Absolution by Muse  the day before yesterday.  good stuff, good stuff.
context, context, context.

rustinglass

Pearl Jam-Riot Act
Beth Gibbons and Rustin Man-Out of Season
Yeah Yeah Yeahs- Fever to Tell
Run to Ruin-Nina Nastasia
Carla Bruni-Quelq'un m'a Dit
White Stripes-Elephant
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

Sigur Rós

Quote from: rustinglassPearl Jam-Riot Act

Both from 2002

Rudie Obias

the strokes - room on fire
slow reader - slow reader
the blood brothers - burn, piano island, burn
white stripes - elephant
cat power - you are free

honorable mention:
postal service - give up
peaches - fatherfucker
belle & sebastian - dear catastrophe waitress
radiohead - hail to the thief
some of my best friends are djs - kid koala

actually, all of these are not in any particular order.  these were just the albums i listen to the most in 2003.  i'm sure i'm missing some but oh well, whatever!
\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff

Quotepostal service - give up

fantastic.

but what about the GREAT albums of the year? what about St. Anger, American Life and um,  "Results May Vary"  ?  

this year is now being labeled as the year in which nü-metal died.  :P

rustinglass

Quote from: Sigur Rós
Quote from: rustinglassPearl Jam-Riot Act

Both from 2002

shit!

Yeah Yeah Yeahs- Fever to Tell
Run to Ruin-Nina Nastasia
Carla Bruni-Quelq'un m'a Dit
White Stripes-Elephant
Tribalistas-Tribalistas
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

Ghostboy

Out Of Season didn't get released until this year in the states, so you can count it if you want.

I can't quite figure out why I never picked up Elephant. It's topping most lists, and I liked the singles and their last album. Curious. Maybe I'll pick it up tomorrow.

mogwai

GoneSavage

As with every year, it's very tough to narrow down to five, I'm not sure who ever came up with that number.
In no order:
Spiritualized ~ Amazing Grace
The Kills ~ Keep On Your Mean Side
Constantines ~ Shine A Light
Desert Sessions Vol. 9&10
Verbena ~ La Musica Negra

Myxo

Radiohead - Hail to the Thief
Four Tet - Rounds
OutKast - Speakerboxxx/The Love Below
Blur - Think Tank
Beth Gibbons & Rustin Man - Out of Season
Idlewild - The Remote Part
Stephen Malkmus & The Jicks - Pig Lib
Mogwai - Happy Songs for Happy People
Death Cab For Cutie - Transatlanticism
Massive Attack - 100th Window

Honorable Mention: Jet - Get Born (One song alone made me buy the album)

The Idiot

1. A Perfect Circle- The Thirteenth Step
2. Radiohead- Hail to the Thief
3. Explosions in the Sky- The Earth Is Not A Dead Cold Place
4. The Mars Volta- De-Loused in the Comatorium
5. Cursive- The Ugly Organ
It is said that evil men have no songs. Why is it, then, that the Russians sing songs?

-Friederich Nietchze

classical gas

Quote from: Ghostboy
I can't quite figure out why I never picked up Elephant. It's topping most lists, and I liked the singles and their last album. Curious. Maybe I'll pick it up tomorrow.

You should.  It's amazing.  It's definitely my favorite of this year, although i haven't explored a lot of what is out there in 2003, but for what's readily available to me, it's the best.

It far exceeds their last album.

QuoteYou should. It's amazing. It's definitely my favorite of this year, although i haven't explored a lot of what is out there in 2003, but for what's readily available to me, it's the best.

that's a very Jack White attitude. nothing wrong in that.

The Idiot

QuoteYou should. It's amazing. It's definitely my favorite of this year, although i haven't explored a lot of what is out there in 2003, but for what's readily available to me, it's the best.

Elephant is a pretty good album, but I say it doesn't top their debut or De Stijl.
It is said that evil men have no songs. Why is it, then, that the Russians sing songs?

-Friederich Nietchze