The Arcade Fire

Started by Film Student, December 15, 2004, 12:47:13 PM

Film Student

Everyone seems to be wetting themselves over this new band from Montreal, but does anybody besides myself think that they sound like a cheap derivative of Bright Eyes?

My roommate can't get enough of them, and the press is going crazy over "Funeral", but I really don't get it...

Edit:  For example, the song "Crown of Love" is shamelessly similar to Bright Eyes' "Fuck My Face, Fuck My Name", almost to the point of being offensive
"I think you have to be careful to not become a blowhard."
                                                                          --Ann Coulter

Sleuth

Bright Eyes doesn't really have an original sound to begin with, though.  Can't you just like BOTH?
I like to hug dogs

RegularKarate

yeah, seriously... Bright Eyes' is only uniquely whiney and not even that uniquely.

Film Student

Bright Eyes isn't original by any means, but they have a unique sound and Conor Oberst has an extremely unique voice (albeit a whiney one, but unique nonetheless).  

The fact that Bright Eyes is the quintessential indie band of right now (whether you like them or not) means that lesser bands are going to naturally rip their sound.  Much like The Strokes may not be original, but once they became popular a whole slew of cheap knock-offs popped up (Jet, Rooney, etc), I think the Arcade Fire is capitalizing on Bright Eyes popularity.  Nothing new or anything, I was just venting frustration at what I see as a highly overrated band making waves yet again.
                                                                          --Ann Coulter

Ghostboy

That's funny, I never even thought about them in comparsion to Bright Eyes before (although I see where you're coming from). Seemed more like a cross of White Stripes and Polyphonic Spree to me, but god, that's a horrible description. Anyway, I loved Funeral. Lovely album.

Pedro

Quote from: Film StudentFor example, the song "Crown of Love" is shamelessly similar to Bright Eyes' "Fuck My Face, Fuck My Name", almost to the point of being offensive

the obvious similarity between "false advertising" and "crown of love" is that both are in 3/4 time.  in addition to this there is some similar instrumentation (they both have a string section, for example).  but that's about all they do have in common...you could say that they both have a similar type of crescendo, but "crown of love"'s changes time signatures to 4/4 and really blows "false advertising" away at that point.

Quote from: Film StudentThe fact that Bright Eyes is the quintessential indie band of right now (whether you like them or not) means that lesser bands are going to naturally rip their sound. Much like The Strokes may not be original, but once they became popular a whole slew of cheap knock-offs popped up (Jet, Rooney, etc), I think the Arcade Fire is capitalizing on Bright Eyes popularity. Nothing new or anything, I was just venting frustration at what I see as a highly overrated band making waves yet again.

I'm not really sure what makes Bright Eyes the "quintessential" indie band right now, and I would also say that the whole saddle creek gang seems to be losing steam at this point of the "indie rock game".  But it's not really the "sound" that The Arcade Fire (or bright eyes, really) has that makes them good.

It's the songwriting.  It's the emotion that is exuded in the preformances.  It's the texture...The melodies punch through all the songs and captivate people.  All of the songs swell with layer upon layer of excellent instrumentation that sinks a hook into listeners from the first time on.

I promise, the album will be thirty times better when you stop comparing it Bright Eyes.  Actually, it'll be even better if you don't compare it to anything.

modage

yeah i never noticed any of those comparisons, but the singer kind of sounds a bit like david byrne at times.  i dont think they're that great so far, but i have kept listening to it waiting for something to reveal itself to me.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

meatwad

Quote from: themodernage02the singer kind of sounds a bit like david byrne at times. .

David Byrne is a big fan, and they have been covering "This Must Be The Place (Naive Melody)" at their shows recently.  

is the mp3

Film Student

After the polite rebuke I received in this thread, I went back and listened to them again...  I can see now that the Bright Eyes likening was a very shallow half-assed comparison, but I'm still completely underwhelmed by the album.
                                                                          --Ann Coulter

pete

yeah bright eyes is only as good as its clever lyrics and semi-catchy melodies.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Pedro

Quote from: peteyeah bright eyes is only as good as its clever lyrics and semi-catchy melodies.
what does that mean?

pete

that means their songs won't get much better than One Foot In Front of Another, for better or worse.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Pedro

Quote from: petethat means their songs won't get much better than One Foot In Front of Another, for better or worse.
that's cool

modage

okay after months, they finally clicked for me a few weeks ago.  now i think they're pretty great.  well, maybe theyre not even that great but i think i really like them.  there is something about it that makes you want to keep listening to it like there might be little things hidden in the song you want to discover.  rebellion (lies) is like the highlight of the album by far for me.  if their next album has 11 songs as strong as this one, it could make them a lot more peoples favorite band.  also got their ep which they released before their album and its easy to see how they couldve been another average indie band had they stayed at that level.  but the jump in quality of songwriting/texture/everything from those EP songs to the album is huge, so that makes me think that they are deserving of the praise.  their show is super sold out and has been since a few weeks ago when i first heard about it and checked into getting tickets.  i was thinking about going early and trying to get in but i dont know if i feel like putting forth the effort.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Sigur Rós

They remind me of Talking Heads...and reminding old Sigur of Talking Heads ain't bad..

....maybe they also sound a little like Broken Social Scene. Anyway, I like the album.