de-funct in the xixatorium

Started by moonshiner, July 01, 2003, 01:27:40 AM

jokerspath

Quote from: European SonI think Brent D.'s review of this album on pitchforkmedia.com is spot on. Everyone is jumping the gun and declaring it an instant classic when it really isn't. It's a good album, very good in fact, but not great.

I agree w/ a lot of the Pitchfork review, but I still think they're being a little shortsighted when looking at the record.  Anything under a 5.0 is pretty dismissable, which I don't think this record is at such an early juncture.  Mind you, I'm not crazy about this CD at all and find it to be dissapointing for a band w/ near limitless potential (at least for that type of music).  

Point is, this album is not a classic, but it might not be the clunker Pitchfork claims it is.  Might as well listen to it a bunch of times and find out for ourselves...

aw
THIS IS NOT AN EXIT

European Son

Quote from: jokerspath
Quote from: European SonI think Brent D.'s review of this album on pitchforkmedia.com is spot on. Everyone is jumping the gun and declaring it an instant classic when it really isn't. It's a good album, very good in fact, but not great.

I agree w/ a lot of the Pitchfork review, but I still think they're being a little shortsighted when looking at the record.  Anything under a 5.0 is pretty dismissable, which I don't think this record is at such an early juncture.  Mind you, I'm not crazy about this CD at all and find it to be dissapointing for a band w/ near limitless potential (at least for that type of music).  

Point is, this album is not a classic, but it might not be the clunker Pitchfork claims it is.  Might as well listen to it a bunch of times and find out for ourselves...

aw
Well yeah, I didn't mean to imply that it's a bad album. It's very much above average. I didn't agree with Brent's rating, I agreed with the actual review. I especially liked how he summed up the album by stating, "The Mars Volta mistake sonic piling for complex architecture." That statement is how I feel about the album.

jokerspath

Quote from: European Son
Quote from: jokerspath

aw
Well yeah, I didn't mean to imply that it's a bad album. It's very much above average. I didn't agree with Brent's rating, I agreed with the actual review. I especially liked how he summed up the album by stating, "The Mars Volta mistake sonic piling for complex architecture." That statement is how I feel about the album.

Good call...

aw
THIS IS NOT AN EXIT

Sleuth

I don't think I will ever agree with Brent D
I like to hug dogs

aclockworkjj

They were playing in LA tonight...I am kinda pissed I didn't go...cause this thread made me check them out, and well.....I wanna hear more.

jokerspath

I'm sure that live they'd probably be phenomenal...

aw
THIS IS NOT AN EXIT

russiasusha

The Volta Rule!  My roommates and I have framed pictures of them everywhere in our house.  Last weekend we drove 16 hours to Minneapolis and Madison, Wisconsin to see them.  Truly, the best shows I have ever been to.  

Cedric Bixler, lead singer, is the epitome of a lead singer.  Tight tight pants, crazy fro hair, sweats like a fat man when he's probably 120 pounds and 5 foot 5.  He jumped in the crown numerous times, stabbing my friend once w/ his microphone and gouging another friend's eye out. Not to mention he through his mike stand at the organist, Ikey. He's Jimmy Page for the 21st century.
Guess that means i'm back on zigzag!
Movies before 1930 suck

Sleuth

I finally heard this CD a few weeks ago.  

The first 2 tracks are dynamite but the rest doesn't even come close
I like to hug dogs

russiasusha

QuoteHe's Jimmy Page for the 21st century.

I meant Rober Plant of course
Guess that means i'm back on zigzag!
Movies before 1930 suck

mister mister

Quote from: SlobhI finally heard this CD a few weeks ago.  

The first 2 tracks are dynamite but the rest doesn't even come close

Yeah, I agree. You kind of lose the vibe after the first couple of tracks and look around for something else to put on.