doing it right for the wrong reasons?

Started by Sal, August 06, 2003, 04:52:02 AM

aclockworkjj

Quote from: Pexpect a burn out by 23.

cocaine being his downfall...

...late hollywood nights, no energy, lotsa moola.....what can I do?

Link

I find nothing wrong with making big movies like then when you're 17, but don't act like you're something else.  It looks to me like this kid is trying to front like he's all perceptive, and he's got some great outlook on life, when we all doubt that he does (and plus we're jealous, at least I know I am).  They say "Write what you know."  If the kid knows some great profound things, great.  If he doesn't, but he still tries to write something, then it comes off lame.  And the same goes for everyone.  That's why I a lot of times I don't try to "say something" important in my scripts, because frankly, what I have to say it's that amazing and pertinent in society these days.  But what ever happened to art for the sake of art?  One thing I loved and still love about Seinfeld is that at the end of the day, there's no hugging or crying, meaning there's no "oh, he's engaged, let's all go 'awww'" or "uh oh, Kramer got his feelings hurt.  Play the sad music!"  And I think if you don't have a great outlook on things to reveal in a film, then just make it cuz you love making film!  Why am I saying all this?  I totally forgot.

Cecil

Quote from: LinkI find nothing wrong with making big movies like then when you're 17, but don't act like you're something else.  It looks to me like this kid is trying to front like he's all perceptive, and he's got some great outlook on life, when we all doubt that he does (and plus we're jealous, at least I know I am).  They say "Write what you know."  If the kid knows some great profound things, great.  If he doesn't, but he still tries to write something, then it comes off lame.  And the same goes for everyone.  That's why I a lot of times I don't try to "say something" important in my scripts, because frankly, what I have to say it's that amazing and pertinent in society these days.  But what ever happened to art for the sake of art?  One thing I loved and still love about Seinfeld is that at the end of the day, there's no hugging or crying, meaning there's no "oh, he's engaged, let's all go 'awww'" or "uh oh, Kramer got his feelings hurt.  Play the sad music!"  And I think if you don't have a great outlook on things to reveal in a film, then just make it cuz you love making film!  Why am I saying all this?  I totally forgot.

maybe this belongs in the what is/isnt art discussion

Alethia

i'd love to see chris smith make a doc off of this kid.  that'd be something.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: TheVoiceOfNickThe poor bastard doesn't know what he's getting into... ulcer by 22, heart attack by 25, cancer by 28... jeez kid, take your time...

But he wants to "live life".. most likely a la Finding Forrester (except with lots of money). Which is more than depressing.

Quote from: ewardi'd love to see chris smith make a doc off of this kid.  that'd be something.

...or Terry Zwigoff.

aclockworkjj

Quote from: ewardchris smith

woohooo...one of my alum.....oh wait, I bailed out early....ah....cool to see his name mentioned though.

atticus jones

Quote from: aclockworkjj
Quote from: ewardchris smith

woohooo...one of my alum.....oh wait, I bailed out early....ah....cool to see his name mentioned though.

maybe had you not pulled out early he wouldnt be one of your alum butt a steady bum bum drum...

the thread forum or whatever is called "in the can"

say my name say my name

pee annointed me sew whore knee and it must follow that eye love u long tyme
my cause is the cause of a man who has never been defeated, and whose whole being is one all devouring, god given holy purpose

Xixax

Maybe this is where we revive the Jennifer Connelly "ass to ass" conversation.
Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

Alethia

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: ewardi'd love to see chris smith make a doc off of this kid.  that'd be something.

...or Terry Zwigoff.

ooh, even better...

Spike

I'm 15 years old and soon I'll start to shoot a short (see thread "Some questions").
But curiously I never had the desire to go to Hollywood as a filmmaker. I don't know, for me it's like a factory of nightmare. I mean, when I'll be someday a real director (hopefully) I don't want to end in Hollywood as big blockbuster director.
I would like to be an independent filmmaker, who makes small low-budget-films.
My favourite films are "Magnolia", "A Clockwork Orange", "Once Upon a Time in America", "Taxi Driver" and "Heavenly Creatures" and my favourite directors are Peter Jackson, P.T. Anderson and Martin Scorsese.
"We're gonna celebrate St. Suck-My-Big-Fat-Fucking-Sausage'a!!!"

©brad

Quote from: SpikeI'm 15 years old and soon I'll start to shoot a short (see thread "Some questions").
But curiously I never had the desire to go to Hollywood as a filmmaker. I don't know, for me it's like a factory of nightmare. I mean, when I'll be someday a real director (hopefully) I don't want to end in Hollywood as big blockbuster director.
My favourite films are "Magnolia", "A Clockwork Orange", "Once Upon a Time in America", "Taxi Driver" and "Heavenly Creatures" and my favourite directors are Peter Jackson, P.T. Anderson and Martin Scorsese.

i wish u lots of luck. i think u have the right idea in attempting to make small, low-budget independent films in ur own country. and who knows, one day if u make a good one, u might get the opportunity to jump back and forth between hollywood mainstream stuff and ur own, kinda like what lee tamahori did w/ once were warriors, or what ang lee used to do.

remember ur still really young, and have plenty of time.

Pubrick

wow ©banger, i didn't know u knew lee tamahori. is that common knowledge out there? well, i'm impressed u gave him a shout out.
under the paving stones.

©brad

well we watched once were warriors in contemp. film criticism, so that's how i was introduced to him. im not sure how well known he is around here, but i know a couple of my buddies in england were very familiar w/ once were warriors, which is a remarkable film.

phil marlowe

it's pretty well known over here, it's been on tv several times.

SoNowThen

Quote from: SpikeI'm 15 years old and soon I'll start to shoot a short (see thread "Some questions").

That's great, man. You're on the right track. Just watch absolutely everything you can (old, indie, foreign, cult), and keep up the love of movies!!! Oh, and check out the local university library for their film section. Usually you can use your public library card to check stuff out (I think...). There's lots of killer books to add insight we just may not be able to get to those older flicks.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.