Phantom Thread

Started by wilder, June 02, 2016, 08:21:51 PM

jviness02

Pringle

I don't think I've seen this posted here yet. PTA's letter to projectionists regarding Phantom Thread.

wilberfan

Alethia

That was great! Seeing this again on 70mm this weekend at the Museum of the Moving Image, now triply excited to revisit it on the big screen.

Fuzzy Dunlop

jenkins

um i'm pretty sure you fellas are the demographic for phantom thread out of context

Alethia

Love it! Also finally found a restaurant that serves Welsh Rarebit - in Saratoga Springs, of all places. Was quite delicious!

HACKANUT

Quote from: Pringle on July 25, 2018, 03:21:45 PM
I don't think I've seen this posted here yet. PTA's letter to projectionists regarding Phantom Thread.

not sure if any of you work with projectors but 7.0 is borderline hilarious to me. on average most movies we play at my theater land somewhere between 4.6 and 5.4 on volume.

wilberfan

Phantom Thread, by the Numbers

Phantom Thread had its early screenplay development costs fronted by Annapurna Pictures, owned by Megan Ellison, who financed Paul Thomas Anderson's The Master (2012).  It was announced in September 2016 that Universal's Focus Features won the worldwide bidding rights to the project, after Anderson's script went onto the auction market and both Focus and Fox Searchlight were aggressively courting Phantom Thread.  The picture was packaged with a $35 million budget, which Focus financed and repaid Annapurna for the development expenses.  Additional coin came from China based Perfect World Pictures, which inked a $500M slate financing deal with Universal in early January 2016.

Phantom Thread received free publicity in June 2017 when Daniel Day-Lewis announced his retirement and that this picture would be his last — though he walked away from movies 20 years earlier after the lukewarm response and commercial failure of The Boxer (1997).

Focus dated Phantom Thread for a limited release on December 25, 2017 and a nationwide expansion set for January 19, 2018 — which was to coincide with the announcement of the Oscar nominations on January 23.  Despite the pedigree of the director and cast and very strong reviews, Phantom Thread had muted awards buzz going into release.  It was shut out of all the major guild awards and was looked at as a dark horse Oscar candidate — even for Daniel Day-Lewis.

Over the holiday frame, Focus booked Phantom Thread into 4 locations, where it pulled in $127,272 with a $31,818 per screen average.  Before expanding wide, it cumed $2,812,729 in its limited run over 3 weeks (at 62 locations in its third frame).  Focus expanded the theater count to 896 locations where it made $3,246,720.  Phantom Thread then landed 6 Oscar nominations, including Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actor and Best Supporting Actress.  The following weekend, most of the pictures that were still in release that landed nominations (The Shape Of Water, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri, I, Tonya, Darkest Hour), were able to capitalize off the accolades and saw an uptick in business, but Phantom Thread declined a small 8.2% to $2,981,885.  The following session it fell 28.6% to $2,129,155 and the domestic run closed with a very disappointing $21,023,275.

Overseas numbers stalled at a soft $26.2M, with Italy posting the strongest market gross at $4.6M.  The worldwide total stands at $47.2M and Universal would see returned about $25.9M after theaters take their percentage of the gross — which leaves much of the global P&A costs (and expensive awards lobbying) in the red and the budget untouched by the theatrical receipts.

Source

wilberfan

The Zuck just gave me a nostalgic smack on the back of the head.  Two years ago yesterday.  (Thanks again to Matt!)

Wonder if they'll roll out the 2020 in a similar fashion (ie, these "industry" screenings, etc...), or if they'll try something new.  And I wonder what 'new' would even entail?  Things are changing so quickly...

kingfan011

Just finished watching this 2.5 hour with the lighting crew on Phantom Thread discussing how they made Phantom Thread. Very very fascinating.

https://thefilmstage.com/lighting-phantom-thread-watch-a-2-5-hour-masterclass-with-ptas-cinematography-team/

Tdog

I just watched Kubrick's Lolita for the first time and I have to say it's ridiculous how much the opening music of Phantom Thread with the ladies coming to work etc resembles the opening title music of Lolita.

I'm not complaining but they are remarkably similiar at first.

wilberfan

Quote from: kingfan011 on July 06, 2020, 09:52:06 PM
Just finished watching this 2.5 hour with the lighting crew on Phantom Thread discussing how they made Phantom Thread. Very very fascinating.

https://thefilmstage.com/lighting-phantom-thread-watch-a-2-5-hour-masterclass-with-ptas-cinematography-team/

This may have been mentioned in the other thread, but there's going to be a Live Q&A from these folks on Friday, July 10th.  1pm (PDT?) 

Tdog

Awesome again.

Cool that we have confirmation that they are scouting for the next one. Also sounds like more tight interiors.