The SEQUELS That Time Forgot

Started by modage, May 27, 2003, 11:35:48 PM

modage

i always worry when there seems to be an unneccesary sequel being made to a movie that really does not need a sequel.  (hmm, Easy Rider AD seems like a pretty recent example of this).  but the funny thing is that, time just washes most of these right out of memory.  lets see how many we can dredge up.

THE TWO JAKES -- 16 years after CHINATOWN
TEXASVILLE -- 19 years after THE LAST PICTURE SHOW
MORE AMERICAN GRAFFITI -- 6 years after AMERICAN GRAFFITI
THE EVENING STAR -- 10 years after TERMS OF ENDEARMENT
THE ODD COUPLE II -- 30 years after THE ODD COUPLE
ESCAPE FROM LA -- 15 years after ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK
BLUES BROTHERS 2000 -- 18 years after THE BLUES BROTHERS
AN AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN PARIS -- 16 years after ...IN LONDON
THE RAGE: CARRIE II -- 23 years after CARRIE
SHOCK TREATMENT -- 6 years after THE ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW
PSYCHO II, III, IV -- 23 years and more after PSYCHO
RETURN TO OZ -- 46 years after THE WIZARD OF OZ

why do some of these remind me of the opening of The Player when Buck Henry is pitching "THE GRADUATE II"?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Duck Sauce

Great topic, whatabout Staying Alive

modage

ohh, thanks.  great one.

STAYING ALIVE -- 6 years after SATURDAY NIGHT FEVER
2010 -- 16 years after 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Pubrick

THE STING II - 10 years after the sting.
under the paving stones.

soixante

How about Beyond the Poseidon Adventure, 7 years later.

Or Butch and Sundance: The Early Days, 10 years after the first.
Music is your best entertainment value.

soixante

An important rule for sequels -- don't try to replace known actors.  The Sting II had everything the original did, save for the charismatic leads (Redford and Newman "replaced" by Jackie Gleason and Mac Davis) and the clever plot.  Never, ever try to replace two guys like Redford and Newman.  The prequel, Butch and Sundance: The Early Days, made do with Tom Berenger and William Katt.

Another example is Grease 2 -- John Travolta and Olivia Newton-John, gone.  Would it have made money with them?  Who knows.

The exception seems to be movies like Batman, in which the lead actor is less important than the title character.
Music is your best entertainment value.

Ghostboy

Is 'Return To Oz' as freaky as I remember it being?

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Marty McSuperfly

What about Another 48hrs - eight years after the original.

I suspect we'll soon be able to add Dirty Dancing 2: Havana Nights to the list....

chainsmoking insomniac

Quote from: Marty McSuperflyWhat about Another 48hrs - eight years after the original.

I suspect we'll soon be able to add Dirty Dancing 2: Havana Nights to the list....

I heard this was quite true (minus Jennifer Gray....) :shock:
I also heard Swayze's stocking up on Ben-Gay....... :wink:
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

chainsmoking insomniac

I actually thought the Two Jakes was a great film, despite the stigma of it being a sequal to one of the best movies ever made.......
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

Alethia

another stakeout - 6 years after the first

and how about godfather 3?  something like 17 years after part 2, and we really didnt need a third, did we?

Alethia

...actually its not that bad.....but sofia coppola should stick to directing

Duck Sauce

Quote from: eward...actually its not that bad.....but sofia coppola should stick to directing

I agree, with just a few tweaks to it, and never letting Sofia get on screen the movie could have been pretty good/

MacGuffin

Thirteen years between Exorcist II and III. And another thirteen years between Exorcist III and:

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks