Paul Auster

Started by rustinglass, October 22, 2003, 11:17:23 AM

rustinglass

What do you think about him?

I think that smoke and lulu on the bridge ar masterpieces, but I always seem to forget them when I make favourite film lists.
blue in the face is very funny
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

Holden Pike

He's a great, great author (you must read The New York Trilogy, if nothing else), and his small forays into film as director thus far have been promising. I still like The Music of Chance (1993 - Philp Haas) as the best example of his work translated onto film thus far, but Smoke and Blue in the Face are terrific, and Lulu on the Bridge, while flawed, is a good first step on his own. It's a little too literary for me, but understandable given the filmmaker.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream, it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film."
- Frank Capra