Richard Ashcroft/The Verve (new single and video out/ Ri still hot)

Started by NEON MERCURY, August 04, 2003, 11:58:11 AM

NEON MERCURY

:?: .......does anyone here listen to him/them....Well of course b/c of bittersweet symphony most people heard of the verve(not to be confused by prom-rock band the verve pipe)...urban hymns is rock solid(sonnet, the drugs don't work, lucky man, rolling people, space and time, ...damn the whole album is good.....also a storm in Heaven is good alongside a northern soul(history,life's an ocean)..don't own the ep's though...but have heard of the live version of gravity grave...(thats a cool title btw).....if anyone likes early pink floyd check out a storm in Heaven its all so atmospheric in a tripped out way ...kinda like dark side of the moon.....it s  good stuff.....

Richard Ashcroft  was the lead vocalist for the verve.and has  put out two solo albums to date...alone w/ everybody and human conditions....solo Ashcroft sounds similar two what is heard on the more ballad oriented songs found on urban hymns...if you purchase alone w/ everybody track standouts are IMO  song for lovers, i get my beat, money to burn, et al..but the whole thing flows well through and through..on his other solo album human conditions (which is not as good as AWE but its still great)  the first song on that cd (check the meaning) seriously is incredible!  .....damn you really have to hear it to believe it...that one song eclipses everything on his first solo album IMO.....also songs such as sience of silence, buy it in bottles, the miracle are all great .....

If anyonewants to hear great songwriting ......on the singer-songwriter vibe check 'em out.....

Lastly if anyone has seen him or the verve live please give a setlist and explain the show

Sleuth

I don't care what your sig says, use the Shift Key
I like to hug dogs

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: mogwaidefinitely enjoyed the disturbing video to check the meaning.

...cool man... glad you like the verve and ritchie....

but the video for CTM  i have never seen that ...do you know of a link to that video or any info about it???????

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: mogwai
Quote from: NEON MERCURYbut the video for CTM  i have never seen that ...do you know of a link to that video or any info about it???????
go to his official site, there's a video section, check if there's any video there. i can't get the site to work, it keeps on loading and loading.

can't get it to work either ..i will try later though......thanks

Pubrick

he's awesome. human conditions was underrated.

verve stuff is flawless tho. i dunno, it's like a simpsons/futurama thing to me.
under the paving stones.

Pwaybloe

Yep, I used to listen to Verve a lot.  I miss them so much.  It's a shame that they're only remembered as the group who sang "Bitter Sweet Symphony."

Does anyone else have the Verve VHS video?  It's got some great concert stuff from "Urban Hymns" days and most of their music videos.

SoNowThen

I love Ashcroft. I'm glad you guys listen to him too. Alone With Everybody is easily one of my favorite albums. Come On People is a great song!

Haven't got into the new one so much yet.

Saw him live solo acoustic in Vancouver for the A.W.E. tour, it was just mindblowing. He brought on a flute guy and a sax guy for New York. Then his wife played keyboards for some tunes. For his encores he did the last track off of Storm In Heaven (see you in the next one...), and then a 7 min Bittersweet Symphony, smashed the shit out of his guitar, waved, and left. Wonderful!!
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Pubrick

damn mog u hav everything.

can i hav a copy of everything?

also..
Quote from: SoNowThenThen his wife played keyboards for some tunes
is she good?
under the paving stones.

chainsmoking insomniac

All of you summed it up-The Verve kicks fucking ass.

They have some of the most moving songs I have ever heard.  And they're fantastic to listen to when high as a kite.  :-D
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

SoNowThen

Quote from: P
Quote from: SoNowThenThen his wife played keyboards for some tunes
is she good?

Yeah, she's fine. She was in a band too, but I think has quit now. He made her sit off to the side of stage, anyway.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Pubrick

Quote from: mogwaishe has some huge chesticles.
pic/cap time.
under the paving stones.

Pwaybloe

Quote from: SoNowThenYeah, she's fine. She was in a band too, but I think has quit now. He made her sit off to the side of stage, anyway.

She played keyboards with Spiritualized, but has since quit when she met Ashcroft.  I'm pretty sure the band is still together.  Their songs are kind of hit and miss.  

They're are a few pictures of her in the "Alone With Everybody" cd liner notes if anyone wants to scan them...

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: Pawbloe

Does anyone else have the Verve VHS video?  It's got some great concert stuff from "Urban Hymns" days and most of their music videos.

is it a full live show?
is it  part live and part interviews?
what songs do they show perform live ?

Pwaybloe

Quote from: NEON MERCURY
is it a full live show?
is it  part live and part interviews?
what songs do they show perform live ?

Some.  All on tour promoting "Urban Hymns"
Yes.  Mostly live stuff at different locations
Songs:

01 .  Drugs Don't Work, The - (demo)    
 02 .  Space And Time - (demo)    
 03 .  Rolling People, The - (Urban Hymns Album version)    
 04 .  Come On - (Urban Hymns Album version)    
 05 .  Bitter Sweet Symphony Video - (single release, radio edit)    
 06 .  Drugs Don't Work Video, The - (single release, radio edit)    
 07 .  Velvet Morning - (instrumental)    
 08 .  Lucky Man Video - (single release)    
 09 .  Stormy Clouds - (live, reprise)    
 10 .  Stamped    
 11 .  On Your Own - (live, acoustic)    
 12 .  Life's An Ocean - (live)    
 13 .  Come On - (live)    
 14 .  Brainstorm Interlude - (A Northern Soul Album version)    
 15 .  Sonnet - (live)    
 16 .  Bitter Sweet Symphony - (live)    
 17 .  MSG    
 18 .  Neon Wilderness - (Urban Hymns Album version)

Highly, highly recommended by Pawbloe.

The VHS is getting harder to find cause it's out of print now, but you can find it used at Amazon fairly cheap.

NEON MERCURY

Pawbloe...thanks for the info ..i been eying it a a music store but wasn't sure it was worth the money (its pricy).but after whats on it(in terms of songs played).i will go get it....