8 Mile

Started by oakmanc234, June 11, 2003, 02:43:40 AM

oakmanc234

What ya'll think?

It think its very good, a mediocre script rescued by expert direction. There's some serious grit, energy and humour.....but then there is a real subtle side to it, mostly brought off by Eminem's mysterious quality. Em is a bloody good actor, especially considering it was his first real acting job. I can see a superb cinema future for the guy if he continues movie gigs (though from interviews its obvious that he doesn't care much for acting compared to music).

Hansen pulled off something very rare; creating a film that appealed to BOTH audiences. It was filled with enough hip-hop and humour for your average mainstream/youth audience and was arty/performance fuelled enough for cinephiles.

I'll certainly look forward to whatever film he does next and by the way, anyone seen that 'Superman' music video of his? After his pleasing turn in '8 Mile', he's quickly brushed off that quiet/mature image and is back to looking like a blonde, 12 year old brat again. Its like Dr. Jekyll has taken a vacation and Mr Hyde is back........
'Welcome the Thunderdome, bitch'

phil marlowe

i haven't seen 8 mile but i'd like to make a comment on him. shit, i hate eminem. i mean i just dont dig him, hes very very skilfull as a rapper and poet but the guy just has no style. its too bad for me cos he's in invaded my precious little la  gang. how many fells like this?

Cecil

boring, long..... eminem cant act. i wonder what scott silvers original treatment was, the one that got rejected by the studio. apparently it was in the tone of eminems lyrics.

Dirk

Quote from: Phil Marlowei haven't seen 8 mile but i'd like to make a comment on him. shit, i hate eminem. i mean i just dont dig him, hes very very skilfull as a rapper and poet but the guy just has no style. its too bad for me cos he's in invaded my precious little la  gang. how many fells like this?

I feels this way too.
At wave level, everything exists as a contradiction. Everything is existing in more than one stage/place at any given moment. Everything must move/vibrate and constantly change to exist. Everything, including buildings, mountains, oceans and thoughts.

Gold Trumpet

I liked this movie a lot more than others. At its worst parts, it was dragging in the middle a little too much. I always saw the movie as a way to understand where Eminem is coming from and getting his anger and what drives him now. Movies about artists very seldom are about understanding the artist's as an artist and understanding how he sees the world so we can better understand his art. Surprisingly, two movies from last year accomplished this, Frida and 8 Mile. 8 Mile ends typically Rocky style because Eminem sees himself now still in a world where he has to be combative to survive, to stay on top of the game he was trying to break so hard into. Though I feel the movie doesn't address the advertising mind Eminem also has in play when trying to sell something and how that can be destructive, it still gives a fine understanding for how he wants you to understand him. To say he is lying is improper, because we don't know how he grew up besides some small specifics.

~rougerum

©brad

well gosh darn, i agree w/ u gt. who woulda thought. i too loved the movie, great cinematog. too, same guy who shot frida and 25th hour. i luv the final baltle, shit gets u pumped. i wish i could do that.

Pubrick

Quote from: ©bradgreat cinematog. too, same guy who shot frida and 25th hour.
and AMORES PERROS and he'll be shooting oliver stone's alexander film.

Rodrigo Prieto. duuk's latino, u better reckunize.
under the paving stones.

Pozer

yeah that guy's pretty sweeeet
he brings a cool gritty feel to  his movies

Pwaybloe

Quote from: Pand AMORES PERROS and he'll be shooting oliver stone's alexander film.

Yeah, he's recently become the new pick of the litter with hollywood directors.  

Prieto and Stone = lethal combination, amigos.  Expect good things.

Pas

Overly long (edit : just found out it's 110 minutes...probably the longest of my life), strange ending, Eminem performance WAYYYYYY overrated, Kim Basinger being present, I hated it.

©brad

Quote from: P
Quote from: ©bradgreat cinematog. too, same guy who shot frida and 25th hour.
and AMORES PERROS and he'll be shooting oliver stone's alexander film.

oh hell yea! ive been waiting to hear who stone's dp was gonna be for alexander. sweetness.

Redlum

I enjoyed this one too. I must say I only had faith enough to see it because of Curtis Hanson as I kinda knew he would handle the whole thing intelligently. I was actually suprised by how small the movie actually was without feeling like the eminem show. And I did gain a newfound respect for him, and began to understand the reason and the neccessity for self-references in his own songs (which had kinda bugged me, when looking at the progress of his work).
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

Banky

i thought this movie was really good.  Eminem had a really great performance for it being his first role.  Hanson pulled it off really well.  The script dragged in some places and i had small problems with Brittany Murphy's role.  Still very good flick.  Fuck people who give Eminem so much nescessary shit.

MacGuffin

"I got Male. I got Male. I got Male. I got Male. I got Male. I got Male. I got Male. I got Male. I got Male. I got Male. I got Male. I got Male. I got Male. I got Male. Now you go. I got Male. I got Male. I got Male. I got Male. I got Male. I got Male. I got Male. I got Male. I got Male. I got Male. I got Male. I got Male. I got Male. I got Male. I got Male. I got Male. I got Male. I got Male. I got Male. I got Male. Now you go. I got Male. I got Male. I got Male. I got Male. I got Male. I got Male. I got Male. I got Male. I got Male. I got Male. I got Male. I got Male. I got Male. I got Male."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Gold Trumpet

Hah, that was a great speech. Of the award show, that was the funniest thing i saw. I also saw the yoda speech and thought it was obvious in its pandering and kinda desperate.

~rougerum