I just saw "Hard Eight"

Started by ShanghaiOrange, June 05, 2003, 03:43:49 PM

Ghostboy

I didn't pay much attention to PSH the first time around, either...but give it a second shot. He gives some REALLY valuable thoughts on the directing process, and on working with actors.

Reed Rothchild

This movie is my favorite by far and how could you even think of not owning it ;)
You know, people tell me I kind of look like Han Solo.

DVD Collection

filmcritic

"Hard Eight" is the most underrated film of all time. It was released in  Feburary of 1997 in limited release. This is the kind of film that should have gotten multiple Oscar nominations and should have won them all. The problem is always with the audience. Most people do not want to see a brilliant character study, they want to see a dumb teenage comedy or a loud action-packed film. It's a shame that hidden treasures like "Hard Eight" are missed so often and so easily. But it's a film critics job to encourage filmmakers and audiences to make and see better movies. Philip Baker Hall is the greatest actor working in film today. He is also the most underrated because he's been in so many small roles and has had only two leading roles that really showed his talent. In 1984, he gave one of the great performances in "Secret Honor". Although the film wasn't even released into theatres in the United States, many critics saw it at film festivals. Now almost 10 years later, Philip Baker Hall has given another great performance in "Hard Eight". Maybe 10 years down the line, we'll get to see give another great performance in another great movie. But you can see him as Jim Carrey's boss in "Bruce Almighty" which is now in theatres. He has a small role, but most of his roles are.
"You're too kind."
-Richard Roeper

"You're too cruel."
-Roger Ebert

Reed Rothchild

But we will always know he's the best!
You know, people tell me I kind of look like Han Solo.

DVD Collection

EL__SCORCHO

I'd say Punch-Drunk is the least cool of Paul's dvds. There's nothing that cool on it, I'm very dissapointed. At least Hard Eight has got some great commentary tracks.