The Movie(s) That Made You a Cinephile

Started by phil marlowe, February 20, 2003, 01:14:04 PM

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetDie Hard got me to just love movies when I was 13, even if action movies only at the time. I still love the movie and is the only movie where I have every line, camera angle and shot already in my head. I had to have seen it over 150 times easily.

I have a feminist English professor who told me that the Die Hard series marked the 90's period of the male chauvanist response to feminism.

Ghostboy

I've wanted to make movies for as long as I can remember, ever since 'Star Wars' I guess, but the point where I stopped wanting to 'make movies' and become a filmmaker was when I saw 'Pulp Fiction' when I was fourteen...I saw it three times in a row and it changed everything.

Ernie

When I was really young it was probably the Tim Burton movies (Edward Scissorhands, Beetlejuice, Nightmare B4 Christmas) that I really loved and connected it with and I still love today. There were many other movies I liked but he was probably my first favorite filmmaker...along with Spielberg (E.T. and Hook), I was like 7 or 8 around that time. I still love their films today, that's the magical part. Before that even, I loved movies a lot. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure, Ghostbusters...god, I loved the Ghostbusters movies...I still love them today too...all of this stuff is still so great. I know it's pretty mainstream but I'm not ashamed, I think it's cool.

Then I just got older and more and more addicted. The passion for film grew and grew, then came the discovery of filmmaking and I realize it's the PERFECT job for me....that I must be a filmmaker. I must have been around 12 or 13 and it just happened. Just started getting more and more interested and obsessed. That's all I remember. I hit 13 and I am seeing all kinds of movies, trying to find cool films and filmmakers to worship. Now, I'm 16 and my obsession is stronger than ever. It's all a blur how it happened or what order it happened in. PTA and all the other gods of filmmaking are all in there somewhere of course...all kinds of stuff. I love it.

BonBon85

I've wanted to be a filmmaker since I was eight, but the first movie that made me realize how much work and thought goes into a movie was The Graduate.

MacGuffin

I have always been surrounded by movies. I remember my mother taking me to see the Disney movies (Bambi, Mary Poppins, etc.). My sister worked at a drive in theater and would get us in for free, and is where I first saw Star Wars, Saturday Night Fever, Grease, etc. My mother would also always video tape (with a top loading VCR) and constantly play movies of the 40's and 50's and so on; musicals, film noir, classics, and of course Hitchcock (Psycho being my introduction). I also saw all the 80's and 90's films with my cousin (R.I.P.). So I can't really pin point just one, but I remember being affected in school when we were studying the Elephant Man play and got to see the film. Thank God for Mr. Erickson. GoodFellas also gave me a career change. It made me see how sight, sound and editing can create masterful storytelling and, like Ghostboy, not just make movies (producer), but be a filmmaker (director).
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

SHAFTR

I know no one is a fan but 'Chasing Amy' did it for me.  It was funny and emotional at the same time.  It was made for 250k, and pretty much included a guy making a film with his friends.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Gold Trumpet

JB,
That may be, who knows. But Die Hard series will then join the Fellini movies in that category of "combating feminism". My film professor, a woman, will not acknowledge Fellini as a good filmmaker at all because of his subjects but will give much credit to Bergman, who, in one of his best films according to her (she only seen a few by him), Wild Strawberries, it has a subject that is very much about male chauvanism but also shows that in its bad light. The thing is, Bergman to this day has a very male chauvanism as he claims he had no reason nor obligation to parent his children at all. He said that the women in their lives did very well with that. He also had a lover in one his actresses. P.S. I have no respect for my film professor, a fucking idiot when it comes to movies.

*Still shakes his head at anyone claiming to be an Ignmar Bergam without seeing Persona or Cries and Whispers*

~rougerum

Pubrick

let's see.. i was 13 when i first saw Network in '96, and i'd seen pulp fiction and all that but this was the coolest thing ever. the whole underground liberation thing blew my mind.. that same year i got heavy into Woody Allen like Love and Death and Crimes and Misdemeanors. those were the first things i really felt attached to.

then Breaking the muhfuckin Waves the next year sealed the deal.

and now u know the rest of the story..

nice revealing thread
under the paving stones.

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSUVWXYZ

xerxes

Quote from: CockAsianKrush Groove anyone?
amen

©brad

I watched JFK with my dad and was completely blown away. Damn I really don't remember how old I was, maybe freshman year in high school. Anyway, it was an amazing film for me to watch, so bold and innovative. I immediately went out and rented all of Oliver Stone's films after that, and he's been my favorite filmmaker since.

moonshiner

magnolia, without a doubt...it really connected with me
the rumble of the train trails off to infinity, a place where no one goes anymore

JC, no not that one

MunchyMcGee

I remember watching "Meet the Feebles" and it just blew my mind as to what a filmmaker could do with a low, low budget and a stupid idea.  Stupid in a good way, though, as I love that film.  I saw that on video when I was 15, and then a few months later I saw "Kids" when it first came out and that blew my mind as well.  I definitley thank the Cult Video section at Hollywood Video (which they don't have anymore) for introducing me to such classics as Hard Rock Zombies, Motel Hell, and Death Race 2000.
You can't take a dump on me.  It's alright if you want to pee.  Cause I like the smell and I like the taste, wouldn't want it to go to waste.

b/a

Lost Highway-
I saw it when it first came out (I was pretty young). And I was blown away by it. Really showed me that film is an ART for the first time.

Citizen Kane-
Cliche but it's cinematography just got me going.

Dog Star Man-
The first experimental film I ever saw. Completely changed the way I thought about what films should be (i.e made me a narrative snob :P)

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre-
Got me into horror movies and got me to take them seriously.

Come and See-
The first movie to make me cry in a theatre.
"Film is truth 24 times a second"-JLG

joke08

I was mostly influence by my godfather, who has been in film and theater forever. Also, my high school girlfriend got me to see a lot good ones.

The Godfather
Pulp Fiction
Usual Suspects
Fargo

then later

Magonolia
Pi
American Beauty

There's too many.

But, since the novel is my first love, I like a movie that reads like a book.

are most of the people on this board aspiring filmmakers?
I went to school for creative writing, movies are just a hobby for me, but I do hope to write a screenplay someday.
i've been drinking more wine lately.
it's good for you pop.
yeah, well anyway, i've been drinking more wine
(vito to michael, Godfather I)